Tiger!

Anything about BXs
Mistah G

Tiger!

Post by Mistah G »

Hello there,

This looks like a lively friendly kind of place. Tomorrow I purchase a Green Tiger from Dollywobbler, my second foray into French motoring... hopefully it will be more successful than the first. A severely thrashed Pug 205 GRDT which I loved for a short time. Except when driving up hills. And then when driving up slight inclines. And then when driving anywhere. And then when taking it apart and putting it back together again. And then just the sight of it would make my blood boil and I'd feel like a completely useless MAN and like everybody was laughing at me and making snide comments about my johnson.

Anyway, I just thought I'd pop in to say hello. Hopefully I'll never need any information from this site whatsoever, but it's good to know there are lot's and lot's of fellow geeks to talk to should things go awry.

Also, I'd like to do the next BXagon :D

And the stripes are staying.

Thanks BXCLUB people!

Glenn
1991 BX TGD estate - The Green Tiger
messerschmitt owner
BXpert

Post by messerschmitt owner »

Hi Glen

Phil Chidlow will be along shortly to sort out the Run to France.

Welcome, btw - I joined here to buy a BX and bought an XM instead (now I have three - it's catching, this Citroen milarky!)
Citroen XM 2.1TD SX hatchback
Citroen XM 2.1TD VSX estate
Smart Roadster
Fiat Punto Cabriolet
Messerschmitt Kr200
Bond minicar mk C
Fiat 126 Bis
BX-less at the moment!
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

Campbell you know me too well :lol:

Hi Glenn, welcome aboard. PM me your e-mail contact details and I'll put you on the Classic Challenge e-mail list. :)
• 1992 Citroen BX TZD Turbo Hurricane
• 2006 Xsara Picasso 1.6 16v
rayfenwick
1K Away

Post by rayfenwick »

Welcome indeed. I'm on 3 Citroens now, the doctor says there's no cure... :)
Ray

The Fleet (most recent first):
2000 Citroën XM 3.0 24V V6 Exclusive Auto (pre-MOT)
1997 Citroën XM 2.0 TCT Exclusive Auto (for sale)
1979 Citroën CX 2.4 EI Cmatic Prestige (slowly being restored)

1992 Alfa Romeo 164 Lusso 3.0 v6 12v Manual (on the to-do list)

www.citroencarclub.co.uk
richardd1652
1K Away

Post by richardd1652 »

Welcome and im afraid once youve got the disease for silly Citroens,then theres no known cure. I should know as ive a field full of them.
Richard.
KevR
1K Away
My Cars: It's all in my signature

Post by KevR »

rayfenwick wrote:Welcome indeed. I'm on 3 Citroens now, the doctor says there's no cure... :)
Three's just a mild dose - you wait 'til it really takes hold...
1990 BX TZD Estate ('the grey one', 1991 BX TZD Estate ('the white one'), 1982 2CV6 Charleston (in bits), 1972 AZU Serie B (2CV van), 1974 HY72 Camper, 1990 Land Rover 110 diesel LWB, 1957 Mobylette AV76, 1992 Ducati 400SS, 1966 VW Beetle, 1990 Mazda MX-5, 1996 Peugeot 106D, 1974 JCB 2D MkII, 1997 BMW R1100RS, 1987 Suzuki GSX-R1100, 1978 Honda CX500A, 1965 Motobecane Cady, 1988 Honda Bros/Africa Twin, 1963 Massey Ferguson 825, and a lot of bicycles!
citsncycles
Over 2k

Post by citsncycles »

I wish I could remember when I only had 3 Citroens, but I had to dump that part of my memory to make room for the instructions on setting up GS cassette points!
Mike Sims
BX 19RD Estate Mk1 - Timex!
BX 4X4 Estate - Oh god, I've done it again!
BX 17RD MK1 - it called to me!
BX14 TGE, - SOLD
XM Turbo SD,GS Club Estate,Visa 17D Leader,HY Pickup,Dyane Nomad,Dyane 6,2CV AZL,Falcon S,Trabant P50,3x Land Rovers (88" series 1,109" series 2a FFR,series 2a Marshall ambulance),DKW F7, Lambretta LD150 x 1.5,Mobylette SP93,Ural Cossack,Ural M63,CZ 250 Sport,Honda Varadero 125,lots of bicycles & tricycles including (but not only) Sunbeams,Higgins & Bates!
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

Howdy Glenn!

As this shot shows, both Glenn's and my new cars have been put to hard work!

Felt very odd to watch a car I'm so familiar with driving off with someone else at the time. I hope she's as good to you as she was to me!
Defender110
Over 2k
My Cars: Land Rover Discovery Series 1 200tdi 3 door
Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5
2020 Fiat Panda cross 4x4 twin air.

Post by Defender110 »

oooh! A Scimitar, I do like them is it a good one?
Kevan
1997 Mercedes C230 W202
2003 Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5 - Daily driver / hobby days and camping.
1993 Land Rover Discovery 200tdi Series 1 3 door - in need of TLC
2020 Fiat Panda 4x4 Cross Twin Air.
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

Yes, seems very nice, though not 100%.

EDIT - Mistah G has just reported that he's entirely internet free for a bit, but I'm sure he'll be back!
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

The interior is just lovely (unless you dislike brown)!

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
Mistah G

Post by Mistah G »

Hello all, just a wee update on The Green Tiger...

She's been nicknamed BeX (see what I did there?) cos The full name is a bit of a mouthful. She's also had a little bit of work done..

-New o/s rear strut after a total loss of hydraulics on the A2 in the middle of Rochester. Dollywobbler's theory is that she wanted to mark her territory and she certainly managed that. For about a week there was a large green stain in the middle of a busy junction. The AA were useless. I told the driver I wanted to go to Medway Citroen and he took me somewhere else - where they couldn't fix her - so I got MC to come get her anyway. Ricockulous. Although the mechanics in the first garage were looking at her all sort of misty eyed as they recounted many many tales of not being able to fix BXs and sending them to Medway Citroen :)

-New rear tyres. These were supplied with the car (Cheers Mr Wobbler) and were fitted by MC. This was the single point of failure for the MOT. I kid you not. MOT was 50 quid, fitting the supplied tyres was 16.80. One of the cheapest MOTs I've ever put a car through... not bad for a 20 year old car!

-Currently running on about 80% chip fat. I work at a place with a very 'by the book' kitchen and we change our fryer oil every week whether it's been used or not. She's running fine although with slightly rough starting first thing. This is only a temporary situation as I will soon be processing the oil into biodiesel. It's really quite simple once you get your head round the basic concepts involved. If anyone else is interested I'd hugely recommend this site... http://www.dudadiesel.com/biodiesel.php with the caveat that there is a HUGE amount of information out there so don't take any one websites word for ANYTHING. But you knew that anyway right? Men of the internet... :)

So everything is happy in BeX's world right now. Although, if anybody has any idea how to replace one of the rear wings I'd be massively grateful. MC just said "no not really" which is a shame because the n/s rear bumper is held on by the paint at the moment :/

Cheers!

G
toddao
BXpat

Post by toddao »

Although, if anybody has any idea how to replace one of the rear wings I'd be massively grateful.
Even if you were prepared to spend a lot of time drilling out the welds to remove the old one you'd be unlikely to find a new one - I looked for quite a while. Is it the classic under the bumper that has rusted out?

I would cut and weld patches into the old one - this is what I was forced to do - cutting some patches off a donor BX of the approx right shape and being lucky to have some repair panels inc the real BX estate hell-hole which is the whole rear section onto which the bumper fixes ( should fix onto but there wasn't much left after 25 years!).You'll be needing someone with welding game!
Todd

this yellow writing is really hard to read
citronut
Over 2k

Post by citronut »

someone was offering a new rear wing recently, i will try and remember were i saw it,

those scimiters look good after being ingulfed is flames, all thats left is a tubular frame,chassis and the rest of the metal bits :twisted: :roll: :wink:

a good few years back an auto mag photographer had one go up, so he did a two page spread of thumbnail shots till it was just the metal bits in a heap,

regards malcolm
curent ride
K reg BX 17TD TZD est
also own
K reg D special

no longer have
H reg CX saffari 2.5 TRI (now gone to Malaysia)
R reg xantia 1.9TD est (gone to meet its maker)
Mistah G

Post by Mistah G »

Yes Toddao it's under the bumper and the sort of box section bit behind it has a number of large bits where there is air instead of steel. I'm no welder and I'm (reliably?) informed that any rust in that section is irrelevant as far as MOT goes as long as there's no sharp edges that could snag a pedestrian. I am slightly worried about the lack of fixing for the bumper although, while it is a bit loose, it's not exactly flapping in the breeze. But it's not going to get better by itself.

Otherwise the vehicle is a great goer. Hydraulics in good order, comfy, 50mpg (of fat!), electrics fine and engine in fair shape. Minor coolant and oil leaks but hey, it's a 20 year old car. And she's still a workhorse... no concours perfection here.. she is used daily and I currently have a part-time job delivering curry all over the Medway and she hasn't skipped a beat.

The only doubts I have are about the long-term economics. Much as I love her there will come a time in the next few years where a wedge of cash/time/expertise will have to be available and probably a few impossible-to-obtain spare parts too. The rear wheels are starting to look a bit.. ummm... like this /--\ if you know what I mean? Some suspension part wearing out maybe?