does the rear wing on a BX really do anything

Anything about BXs
maxgreenwood
BXpert

Post by maxgreenwood »

I don't like the rear spoiler on the BX to be honest, i like the original design without it. Even the front splitter with fogs puts me off a bit, i just think it all looks a bit over the top. If i got a GTi, i'd have to take it off i think. I'm not that keen on the 19TZS rubber one either. I won't be fitting one to mine!

On the Saab i think it suits it.

One of the exceptions i think is Todd's uber-cool 1985 Mk1 19TRD with all it's ostentatious 80s louvre and spoiler - If you're going to have it go the whole stylistic hog!
'92 16TXS (m), Dark metallic green, 74k
'90 16TZS (m), White, 86k
'89 19TRS auto, Olympic Blue, 133k
'88 Saab 900 8v Turbo (auto) 107k Red with Tan leather, lovely drive and well maintained.
'07 Hyundai Santa Fe 2.2 CRDi 85k (m). Practical family wagon
rayfenwick
1K Away

Post by rayfenwick »

I can understand people wanting to remove the spoilers (or add them, for that matter): I was very tempted to remove the spoiler from my TRS, but I decided to go for originality and leave it on.

Like 70's James Bond, the flares are somehow 'right' :)
Ray

The Fleet (most recent first):
2000 Citroën XM 3.0 24V V6 Exclusive Auto (pre-MOT)
1997 Citroën XM 2.0 TCT Exclusive Auto (for sale)
1979 Citroën CX 2.4 EI Cmatic Prestige (slowly being restored)

1992 Alfa Romeo 164 Lusso 3.0 v6 12v Manual (on the to-do list)

www.citroencarclub.co.uk
Mickey taker
Over 2k

Post by Mickey taker »

surely removing standard parts from a GTi like the the front bumper splitter would devalue it considerably,

manufacturers have always slightly changed items on models to identify them and set them apart from more basic models.

vive le difference
1991 BX Meteor 1.6

light travels faster than sound, thats why you look intelligent and then you spoil it all by opening your mouth !!!!!
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

maxgreenwood wrote:I'm not that keen on the 19TZS rubber one either. I won't be fitting one to mine!
Ive always much preferred the rubber one to the "baby walker" type. Looking at pictures of my 16TZS from '96 I am inclined to concur as it in white with the two tone bumpers it a very clean design!
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
Mickey taker
Over 2k

Post by Mickey taker »

Ive always felt that VW kind of diluted the looks of the MK2 GTi when they brought out the Driver,
same looks ( black wheel arch trims etc )but much less power.
dont get me wrong I still like the driver ( ive had four of them )

for those who dont know

GTi

Driver

the TRS has always been my favourite style of BX along with the 16 valve
espacially if its like Rays one that I had, black against white looks great

1991 BX Meteor 1.6

light travels faster than sound, thats why you look intelligent and then you spoil it all by opening your mouth !!!!!
Matt H
1K Away

Post by Matt H »

BX Meteor wrote:At a set of traffic lights, when a modern Golf Diesel comes alongside, my 1.6 BX with its wing is a wide-mouthed-toad ....

One day a wide-mouthed-toad decided to leave his pond and see the world.

He came across a big brown animal and he said "I'm very hungry, what animal are you and what do you eat". The animal replied "I'm a cow and I eat grass". The toad replied "I'm a wide-mouthed-toad and you sound like a loser" and he scuttled off.

Next he came across a big black animal and he said "I'm very hungry, what animal are you and what do you eat". The animal replied "I'm a black bear and I eat berries and sometimes fish". The toad replied "I'm a wide-mouthed-toad and you sound like a loser" and he scuttled off.

Next he came across a big greenish animal and he said "I'm very hungry, what animal are you and what do you eat". The animal replied "I'm a crocodile and I eat big animals but I also find toads rather tasty". The wide-mouthed-toad screwed up his mouth and said "I'm just a little frog, must go" and he hopped back to his pond.

...... Why keep a posey wing on the back of a 1.6 BX (rhetorical) , in the 90's the 1.6 was fairly quick, by today's standards its performance is mediocre and the wing is too attention-seeking for my liking. It's coming off, I'll go to B&Q and see if I can find any grommets, that way I can drive my BX and feel that I have a modest car that is just simple to maintain and nice to drive.
You wouldn't approve of my old 1.4 '16v lookalike' then :lol:
BX Meteor
BXpert

Post by BX Meteor »

LOL

Does it have the 16v hatch, is it called a "Hurricane" ?

Why were some models fitted with the 16v hatch and called "Hurricane" while others were fitted with the normal hatch with a wing and called "Meteor" ?

I have another theory .... maybe someone at Citroen ordered the hatches from a UK supplier but used the French comma in the order e.g. ordered 100,00 hatches and found that they got 100,000 hatches and had to pay for them because supplier argued they should have put 100.00 !!!