My MK1 BX 19 DTR Saloon

A place for us to show off our cars in all their glory. Please keep picture sizes to about 800x600 pixels.
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

Nice one Tim. Will be nice to see this one get transformed.
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

Even I cant polish that rust off so will need a paint job!, it needs two doors (nsf and osr) two wings and some fabrication on the nsr rear arch plus a front bumper.

The interiors worn, and very dirty but all there so will get that cleaned up for now, the service history is sizeable and has had major work done previously inc new sills, and engine rebuild at 112k and lots of oil changes etc hence why with 181'000 miles on the clock it still runs great. If you know how to drive one (I am learning) the 1.9D can be hurried along quite well and sat at 70 all the way home from Dominics with no complaints.

The gearchange is rather sloppy (I have a bush kit!) and the spheres are tired as are the arm bearings, but ive just been for a ride in it in the dark with the dash all lit up! Its ace! 8)
Last edited by Tim Leech on Sun Jul 31, 2011 10:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
Tim Leech
Over 2k

Post by Tim Leech »

toddao wrote:Ken wrote
I had a brand new front bumper which I gave away with my MK1 when I sold it
What manner of BX was that - any pics?

I know someone who's selling a new Mk.1 bumper just 'over the river' in France. Logistically a bit complicated..
Will he courier? :D
WESTON89
Confirmed BX'er

Post by WESTON89 »

Roverman wrote:.........engine rebuild at 112k and lots of oil changes etc hence why with 181'000 miles on the clock it still runs great. If you know how to drive one (I am learning) the 1.9D can be hurried along quite well and sat at 70 all the way home from Dominics with no complaints.

The gearchange is rather sloppy (I have a bush kit!) and the spheres are tired as are the arm bearings, but ive just been for a ride in it in the dark with the dash all lit up! Its ace! 8)
I told you not to worry about the drive home! :D In the few months I had it, I racked up over 3,500 miles and (unlike my GS sometimes!) I never had to worry about it getting to where I wanted to go.

I will admit the gearchange is tea-stirring sloppy, I got quite intimate with a few of my passenger's knees! :lol:

Im gutted its gone really, but I know you'll look after it well Tim. I look forward to seeing it again soon.

Dom
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

Trick to keeping a 1.9D on the boil is to stick to 2000-3000rpm. Lots of torque there, and you don't make your ears bleed. More revs doesn't seem to achieve much more than that.
Tim Leech
Over 2k

Post by Tim Leech »

Dollywobbler wrote:Trick to keeping a 1.9D on the boil is to stick to 2000-3000rpm. Lots of torque there, and you don't make your ears bleed. More revs doesn't seem to achieve much more than that.
I found that, I got up to 4000rpm once in 2nd and all that happened wa it smoked a bit! :lol:
ken newbold
Over 2k

Post by ken newbold »

toddao wrote:Ken wrote
I had a brand new front bumper which I gave away with my MK1 when I sold it
What manner of BX was that - any pics?
It appears on this video at 3.25

MULLEY
Over 2k
My Cars: 1999 Xsara LX 2.0HDI (90) Hatch - Fern
2002 C5 2.0 HDI (110) Estate - Jasmine - SORN
2011 Mini Cooper D Clubman - SOLD
2016 Mercedes A180D Sport - Auto refinement
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - SORN
1992 TZD Turbo Estate - SORN
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired - SORN
1990 Gti 8Valve SOLD - looks like it's been scrapped
2002 Mini Cooper S - SOLD - i miss this car
1992 TXD - Scrapped in March 2014
1988 CX 25 GTI Turbo2 - SORN
1996 - AX Memphis 1.5D - Dream - SORN

Post by MULLEY »

I find driving mine like a petrol extracts every last ounce of performance required for overtaking cars, if i drove it like a modern diesel & just relied on the woeful amount of torque, i'd either be dead with a head-on, or too frightened to overtake. In general driving though, yes, 2-3k is optimum, but for pressing on its upto the red line everytime. Sounds like i need a valver :lol:
2002 C5 2.0 HDI Estate - Jasmine - Now SORN
2011 Mini Cooper D Clubman - SOLD
2016 Mercedes A180D Sport - Auto refinement
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - My daily
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired.
1990 Gti 8Valve SOLD - looks like it's been scrapped
2002 Mini Cooper S - SOLD - i miss this car
1992 TXD - Scrapped in March 2014
1988 CX 25 GTI Turbo2 - SORN
1996 - AX Memphis 1.5D - Dream - SORN

I'm not just a username, i'm also called Matthew.
Tim Leech
Over 2k

Post by Tim Leech »

MULLEY wrote:Sounds like i need a valver :lol:
You cant run them on chip fat Mulley! :wink:
Tim Leech
Over 2k

Post by Tim Leech »

mds141
Over 2k

Post by mds141 »

It is entirely understandable why Citroen decieded to change from TRD to DTR for the uk market :lol: Tim i don't think you'll end up polishing a TRD i think with your enthusiasm and plenty of grafting it will be a show stopper come time. Good luck.
Mark Smith

Is it just me or is everything shit?

1989 BX GTi 16 valve. Blanc Alpine. Completed the Citroen Classic Challenge Ecosse and 1337 miles without a hitch.
2000 XM VSX 2.1 td Auto. Rouge Magenta.
TGD saloon many years ago.

1990 Swift 'Corniche' 12/2 aka BXClub HQ.
Honda Firestorm. Gone, but not forgotten.
2015 Triumph Tiger Explorer XC.
Tim Leech
Over 2k

Post by Tim Leech »

Quick update, progress on the "TRD :lol: " has been slow as ive been so busy with work and other things, ive changed a few broken lamps, door mirrors and collected 2 front wings, 2 doors and a bumper to start with.

On Sunday she is making a trip up t'north to a very well known BX playground in Wakefield for a holiday with a couple of younger siblings, whilst he of the magical Citroen spanners gives her a thorough shakedown. 8)
Last edited by Tim Leech on Mon Sep 19, 2011 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
anaconda
BXpert

Post by anaconda »

Roverman (and anyone else!), i was wondering what is it you consider that provides the extra interest in the Mk 1 BX?

Thinking about this, aside from the rarity and wonderful MK1 dash im not sure what it is that gets under peoples skin. Of course that may well be enough, and more power to those who have a passion for these, but Id be interested to know why.

From my perspective its aesthetics, comfort (with Citroens) and practicality which are the key ingredients. I drove a DS everyday for years and appreciate that the early model with its frog lights had a specific beauty, but the green fluid later versions are more practical and to my eye the longer nose was preferable. It was and still is the coolest car on the road, cool being a difficuly thing to define, but without doubt it just is!

With the BX MK1 the bumpers seem like an afterthought and the front square indicators give it a finish which is just a bit too boxy. The 80s design of the BX with its minimalist use of paneling and distinctive angular retro feel is very satisfying. In this regard I find the fussy alloys on GTIs, and any body adornments and colour stripes to detract from the BXs simplicity and uniqueness. Stripped down to its bare design its a thing of understated beauty.
1991 BX TGD Saloon
1990 VW T25 Camper. Currently on sabbatical
Tim Leech
Over 2k

Post by Tim Leech »

Its all down to personal choice I guess, the first BX we had was a Mk1, and what appealed to me was that DASH aswell as the suspension etc. Personally I prefer the exterior of the MK2, especially in TZ form with the two tone bumpers and cool wheeltrims, but do prefer the the interior of the Mk1.

Nostalgia is wonderful thing though, and as the Mk1 is now incredibly rare that adds to its appeal, plus I like the 80s squareish'ness which is more apparent in the Mk1 than the Mk2.

Also worth noting that Mk1's do ride better than a Mk2 :lol:

Tim.
Last edited by Tim Leech on Wed Aug 24, 2011 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
PhilGreaves
BXpert
My Cars: CCC X**tia Columnist!! forgive me for I was led astray..

1984 Citroen BX 16TRS restored and now with fully functional power steering..!
1994 Citroen Xantia 1.9 TD SX (Jan 1994, no airbags but antisink fitted)

Post by PhilGreaves »

ditto with what tim said; dashboard + nostalgia. The first car i remember was my mum's D reg mk 1 BX 16 TRS; specifically the dashboard and soporific ride + looking out of the wierd tinted windows. It was there throughout my early childhood..so when it came to car buying there was one obvious choice.

When i bought parts from a nice chap at wakefield (shaun?? friend of ken's anyway) he observed that this may become a more comon reason for bx buying as they get older...i think he has a point..anyway back O.T :P

Wakefield ey Tim..how desperate are you for that parcel shelf? ;) (theres no rush like but just thought id mention it!!).

Anyway keep going Tim....

(mines back thursday or friday and ill ask what polish was used on the quarter lights)
regards
Phil & Earl

1984 Citroen BX 16 TRS mk 1 "Earl" restored sept 2011 and now with fully functional power steering..!

CCC X**tia Columnist!! forgive me for I was led astray..
1994 Citroen Xantia 1.9 TD SX (Jan 1994, no airbags but anti-sink fitted)