Mk1 BX 19RD Estate RHD! A new home

A place for us to show off our cars in all their glory. Please keep picture sizes to about 800x600 pixels.
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

Thanks Richard. PM replied.

I want the seatbelts to be there really. 1986 is the cut-off as my 2CV is the same age, and must have the belts.
messerschmitt owner
BXpert

Post by messerschmitt owner »

Dollywobbler wrote:Thanks Richard. PM replied.

I want the seatbelts to be there really. 1986 is the cut-off as my 2CV is the same age, and must have the belts.
Ian, I couldn't agree more, but to get it to an MOT state, you could forgo them and refit them later. I certainly wouldn't advocate breaking of the law when carrying passengers, but it is a neat trick to get it MOT'd, when you can find belts at your leisure.
Citroen XM 2.1TD SX hatchback
Citroen XM 2.1TD VSX estate
Smart Roadster
Fiat Punto Cabriolet
Messerschmitt Kr200
Bond minicar mk C
Fiat 126 Bis
BX-less at the moment!
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

We'll see. If I can get belts, I'll fit belts.

Just had it running as I wanted to run it up to temperature - though I'm having to use my thermo-equipped multimeter to tell me how hot things are. Worrying at first as the engine was hot, but rad and heater were both cold - easily sorted by removing the huge nut on the thermostat and letting all of the air out! Not had it hot enough to get the fans running (surprisingly difficult on a 19 diesel, even with a knackered rad) but certainly able to get it warm - temp reading of about 75 degrees through the bleed hole (if that's what it is) and cooler than that in the rad - as you'd hope.

Heater got nice and hot - which is nice - but the ol' resistor pack issue is clearly present. Fan only works on position 3.

Still need a battery. The one fitted to it won't hold any charge at all. Roll on pay day!
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

Dollywobbler wrote:resistor pack issue is clearly present.
Does the Mk1 have a resistor pack rather than transistor control? I have a spare board from a Mk2 you can have if you like - if that's any use.

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

Ah, no idea Mat. Just said resistor pack because that's what I've also got to replace on the Range Rover. That also has a heater that only works on the fastest setting...
ken newbold
Over 2k

Post by ken newbold »

No resistor pack in the Mk1 :D however, depending on date of manufacture, it could have a completely different fan on board :(
Some of the early Mk1's have a fan that sits well down inside the car, behind everything else :evil: the good news is that it might just be stuck and it can be seen and prodded (just) from the scuttle under the windscreen.
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

It definitely works on the top setting - not exactly fierce, but then nor is the blower on a Mk2 BX...

Not a massive issue I guess - a working heater with just one setting is better than no heater! The heat control at least works very nicely...
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

I've just had the tailgate fully open for the first time, and re-fitted the gas strut on the RH side. Then discovered why it had been removed - the RH hinge is completely busted! Then had to try and remove the strut while holding the very heavy tailgate open. Phew.

It would be very useful at this stage if someone could post up some pics of what the hinge SHOULD look like. At the moment, I'm not sure if the damage is to the tailgate itself or the body. Bit of a set-back this, as I think a non-opening tailgate is a reason to refuse a test from the tester's point of view.
citsncycles
Over 2k

Post by citsncycles »

I'm quite happy to be corrected, but I don't think a non opening tailgate is an MOT failure, as it's not required for passenger exit. On the other hand, a broken hinge would probably be classed as unsecure bodywork if the tester noticed it.
Mike Sims
BX 19RD Estate Mk1 - Timex!
BX 4X4 Estate - Oh god, I've done it again!
BX 17RD MK1 - it called to me!
BX14 TGE, - SOLD
XM Turbo SD,GS Club Estate,Visa 17D Leader,HY Pickup,Dyane Nomad,Dyane 6,2CV AZL,Falcon S,Trabant P50,3x Land Rovers (88" series 1,109" series 2a FFR,series 2a Marshall ambulance),DKW F7, Lambretta LD150 x 1.5,Mobylette SP93,Ural Cossack,Ural M63,CZ 250 Sport,Honda Varadero 125,lots of bicycles & tricycles including (but not only) Sunbeams,Higgins & Bates!
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

We'll see if the resident MOT tester on Autoshite can confirm! It's certainly a set-back. I know this thing's got bodywork issues, but I was hoping I could get it on the road before sorting them. The other issue is the rear bumper sticking out from the dented rear wing. Was going to see if the test station (who do a lot of rally car prep) could try and pull the wing out a bit...
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

Tailgate does need to open for an MOT. However, on the positive side, catsinthewelder of this parish kindly send me some pics of the hinges on his estate, which has enabled me to confirm that it's the tailgate that's broken, not the body part of the hinge (RH, LH is still out of alignment). I class that as good news.
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

New radiator has been fitted today. An easy job, though I've got no coolant knocking about, so job completion is on hold! Also, got a nice digital temp gauge, but the 'universal' sensor is certainly not going to fit the BX. Presume having it screwed into the 'stat' housing would be the most ideal solution? Diagram that came with it suggested hacking into the top hose - but surely that'll only show a reading once the 'stat is open? Not what I want.

I guess I could try and replace the gauge sensor - do I really need an overheat sensor if I've got a gauge showing the reading? I see there are two sensors just behind the 'stat housing. Guess one of those is for low coolant?

Still need a battery, but still waiting for pay day...
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

Pics of progress.
Old rad was really pretty well knackered!

New one fitted.
mds141
Over 2k

Post by mds141 »

That radiator looks like the sink from my 1st flat. :lol:
Mark Smith

Is it just me or is everything shit?

1989 BX GTi 16 valve. Blanc Alpine. Completed the Citroen Classic Challenge Ecosse and 1337 miles without a hitch.
2000 XM VSX 2.1 td Auto. Rouge Magenta.
TGD saloon many years ago.

1990 Swift 'Corniche' 12/2 aka BXClub HQ.
Honda Firestorm. Gone, but not forgotten.
2015 Triumph Tiger Explorer XC.
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

I've just been discovering all the bits I forgot to swap from one rad to the other...

Aside from getting wet feet, all's well though I think. Just need to see if I can get it running on just the jump pack so I can make sure there are no airlocks... (heater tap is open).