front wheel bearings

Anything about BXs
tzd
BXpert

front wheel bearings

Post by tzd »

Here's the situation I can't afford to replace the front wheel bearing ( drivers side) at the moment it is making quite a bit of noise. I was wondering is there any way that you know of whereby I could pack the bearing with grease to quieten it down ? until I can find the funds to replace it.

Kev
It isn't just a car it is a BX and it's my BX. Long live the BX.
sdelasal
BXpert

Post by sdelasal »

I don't think so unless the bearing is already dry - and I don't think there is any adjustment to make either.

What are the symptoms you have?
ken newbold
Over 2k

Post by ken newbold »

A much easier and probably cheaper way is to replace the offending hub.

Not sure if I have one for a turbo diesel, assuming they're different from the n/a diesel as they have thicker driveshafts, also whether or not your car has ABS has to be taken into consideration.
rmattila
BXpert

Post by rmattila »

Front wheel bearings cost around 20 euro here, and for 38 euro you can get a full SKF front wheel bearing kit for a BX. And I don't think it's too bad a job to do by yourself, if you just can borrow someone's hydraulic press for a few minutes. Surely there's someone around with one?

Quite a straightforward job:
http://www.rmattila.com/images/remontit ... in_vaihto/
Speechless quad lying flat on his bed, communicating by moving eyes.
BX Van 1.9D -90 Gone.
BX Van 16S -90 For sale.
BX Van 1.9D -90 (Earned!) Gone.
BX Break 1.9D -90 (officially a "5 seat van" since 2005) Waiting to be towed to a new home.
Jaba
1K Away
My Cars: BX GTi, C3 Auto

Post by Jaba »

All BX 16s and above including diesels have the same hub. The only difference is the ABS fittings and ABS hubs will fit onto either an ABS or a non ABS car and vice versa.

Bearings are cheap on ebay 12-14GBP and as Ken says find a garage with an available press and that is all it will cost you or pay a garage for an hour or two's work and jobs done.

There is nothing worse than a noisy wheel bearing. I changed all twelve of mine three years ago and the cars are so much quieter now.................Except one of the fronts has just gone noisy again so I will have to change that again soon.
Actually I keep a spare set of hubs with new bearings in ready for just such an eventuality so all I have to do is swap it out with the noisy one and change the bearing at my leisure.
The Joy of BX with just one Citroën BX to my name now. Will I sing Bye Bye to my GTI or will it be Till death us do part.
tzd
BXpert

front wheel bearings

Post by tzd »

it is a diesel with abs and turbo. I wish I had the funds to buy the bearing let alone get a garage to change it.

kev
It isn't just a car it is a BX and it's my BX. Long live the BX.
citronut
Over 2k

Post by citronut »

as others have said just find a good S/H front hub and swap it over
Jaba wrote:Except one of the fronts has just gone noisy again so I will have to change that again soon.
BX bearings very seldom fail so maybe you are not doing the hub nut up tight enough,

regards malcolm
curent ride
K reg BX 17TD TZD est
also own
K reg D special

no longer have
H reg CX saffari 2.5 TRI (now gone to Malaysia)
R reg xantia 1.9TD est (gone to meet its maker)