Earl is back!! (1984 Citroen BX 16 TRS mk 1)

A place for us to show off our cars in all their glory. Please keep picture sizes to about 800x600 pixels.
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

Graeme did it himself at home, and to be honest Phil its not going to do alot of miles and is hardly a gas guzzler anway so best stick to what you know.
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
NeilGP
BXpert

Post by NeilGP »

Very very nice Phil.

Wish you many happy miles in it.
:wink:
Neil
A476 RBX
Series 1 BX 16TRS
+ 2015 C4 Flair (boring compared to BX!)
anaconda
BXpert

Post by anaconda »

Any 'before ' pics? Id be interested to know what work youve done.

Is there a BX in better condition anywhere I wonder. Im inspired to paint my bumpers this weekend! :D
1991 BX TGD Saloon
1990 VW T25 Camper. Currently on sabbatical
Tim Leech
Over 2k

Post by Tim Leech »

anaconda wrote:
Is there a BX in better condition anywhere I wonder. :D
I doubt it! 8)
Paul296
Over 2k
My Cars: Citroen BX 17 TZD Hurricane
Citroen BX 17 TGD

Post by Paul296 »

Roverman wrote:
anaconda wrote:
I doubt it! 8)
Well assuming the DTR now looks like it just rolled of the production line at Aulnay sur Croissant (or wherever it is?!) you own 4 of 'em that'd be in the running!? :D

p.s. I concur - that 'dealerplates' site looked VERY interesting.
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

Paul296 wrote:...the production line at Aulnay sur Croissant (or wherever it is?!
That'll be Rennes-la-Janais... :wink: :D

(Unless you are talking about BX breaks, in which case: Cerizay...)
• 1992 Citroen BX TZD Turbo Hurricane
• 2006 Xsara Picasso 1.6 16v
Tim Leech
Over 2k

Post by Tim Leech »

Paul296 wrote:
Roverman wrote:
anaconda wrote:
I doubt it! 8)
Well assuming the DTR now looks like it just rolled of the production line at Aulnay sur Croissant (or wherever it is?!) you own 4 of 'em that'd be in the running!? :D

p.s. I concur - that 'dealerplates' site looked VERY interesting.
DTR looks much as it did, all of my cars are tidy but wear their original paint except on the bumpers so wont be in the same league as a fully restored car.
anaconda
BXpert

Post by anaconda »

Roverman wrote: DTR looks much as it did, all of my cars are tidy but wear their original paint except on the bumpers so wont be in the same league as a fully restored car.

Did you paint the bumpers yourself. Im intending spraying the 'loose' paint off and recoating in a close matched colour. Ive found that the existing paint comes away when using a jet spray to clean...eek.

So are there any pics of your cars, always happy to see what others are driving?
1991 BX TGD Saloon
1990 VW T25 Camper. Currently on sabbatical
Paul296
Over 2k
My Cars: Citroen BX 17 TZD Hurricane
Citroen BX 17 TGD

Post by Paul296 »

That'll be Rennes-la-Janais...
That's the one! (pity Aulnay sur Croissant doesn't exist though - sounds like a lovely place? :D )
Tim Leech
Over 2k

Post by Tim Leech »

anaconda wrote:
Roverman wrote: DTR looks much as it did, all of my cars are tidy but wear their original paint except on the bumpers so wont be in the same league as a fully restored car.

Did you paint the bumpers yourself. Im intending spraying the 'loose' paint off and recoating in a close matched colour. Ive found that the existing paint comes away when using a jet spray to clean...eek.

So are there any pics of your cars, always happy to see what others are driving?
If you have a a look in the gallery page you will see some, the bumpers on both my Mk2 cars are the "smooth" two tone type with a textured grey top half which are easy to rub down and paint. The fully textured type bumper can be rubbed down, primed and painted.
PhilGreaves
BXpert
My Cars: CCC X**tia Columnist!! forgive me for I was led astray..

1984 Citroen BX 16TRS restored and now with fully functional power steering..!
1994 Citroen Xantia 1.9 TD SX (Jan 1994, no airbags but antisink fitted)

Post by PhilGreaves »

Hi everyone, I meant to come on yesterday..but alas my nieces tired me out! My eldest niece being curious wandered off into my room and after looking at planes out of my window noticed my ‘toycar’ (1/12 scale vullierme mont blanc plastic bx model) and asked about it. Anyway I told her what it was, that it was like mine etc, and she seemed genuinely interested and whilst looking at its angles she said “I like bxs”!! :shock: :lol: …pitty my sister likes fords and hates Citroens!! Anyway…

hi anaconda unfortunately I can only be of limited use Graham Morton and his garage (GMVS) at Holmbridge did all the work, I just saved up and paid for it! He did tell me that he repaired the bumpers splits, cracks, chunks missing etc) first then used a primer (I guess a specific type/brand?) and then painted them. You can always call him for more info lol he’s an enthusiast himself so won’t mind (just Google him).

The paint job itself took 3 coats of red paint as its quite translucent…except for the wings and offside doors which were new so they had primmer on too. At some point I’ll put up what’s been done, if only to show I haven’t just slapped on a bit of paint :wink: … but it’s quite a long list.

As for before and after pics there is an old thread. However all are found on my photobucket account here.

http://s738.photobucket.com/home/Citroe ... 1984/index

or here when it was straight out the garage.

http://s738.photobucket.com/albums/xx25 ... 016%20TRS/

A lot of those were taken on my way down to Gaydon last year for the national rally. What I most remember is a chap having a good look at it and commenting to his friend “that must be a classic now”…

Anyway had it out today for a run and more photos. What I liked was the neatness of his work. Here’s the sills and hinge which he welded…

Here’s a close up of the rear quarter lights too….

Here’s a few at Booths supermarket, ilkley

And here near the cow and calf (just visible in the above shot near the white blob!!)…..

Here’s one of that famous dashboard..

And just to show you what still needs doing (it’s not perfect you know ;))…rear speakers need installing and grills are required for the front also some plastic seat surrounds. As well as a good clean too. Oh and replace the radio player….(not that I know if the replacement works…it’s been out of my dad’s fuego for years..but how can you tell??)

One thing I really could do with is mk 1 drivers door side rubber, Graham managed to dig some up and he’s done the rear door but has had to bodge the driver’s door…any members in france able to help me out??! Or anyone going to france..

Anyway clutch problem seems to be lessening with loose (pedal/spring stiff??). So off we went to ilkley. One thing I noticed.. no wind noise with the window open..even at 60mph :shock: Can’t remember that ever happening before in any car; xantia, audi, modern Vauxhalls and fords etc. It’s what I like about the bx; well-designed right down to the map light, small hole in spoiler near wiper for water to drain and aerodynamics, oh and the setback wheel trims so they can’t get scuffed.

Just got to go back to the garage unfortunately as I’ve noticed that the drivers door is too far forwards; scrapped a bit of red paint off. Primer still there so it’s safe to take about. More annoying really…oh and when my dad went to move it started on the 4th attempt … yet 2nd when I tried..yet 1st for my mum every time…Earl must know she’s owned one before.

Anyway thanks very much for your comments everyone, and to Tim..that meant a lot bearing in mind your rigorous standards!

Oh and yes I will Neil thanks very much, so glad you are on here, hopefully see you at a rally and stuff (take it you are going to 2012 ICCCR? ---wait my mums saying something to me--..oh Neil she want to know where her train set is* :wink:

* (it’s a running joke ;))
regards
Phil & Earl

1984 Citroen BX 16 TRS mk 1 "Earl" restored sept 2011 and now with fully functional power steering..!

CCC X**tia Columnist!! forgive me for I was led astray..
1994 Citroen Xantia 1.9 TD SX (Jan 1994, no airbags but anti-sink fitted)
Aerodynamica
BXpert

Post by Aerodynamica »

Looks really good and it needed the tweed interior 8)

I just need to recap: the LPG installation was not finished! It started and ran fine though if down on power.

There's no reason whatsoever that this car cannot run on gas: "not do-able" just doesn't compute for a carburetor car.

Did you ever sort out the problem with the FDV valve? I think I know what is wrong now after chats on the XM forum.

Well, best of luck with it.
Graeme M

CX 2400 Pallas LPG
2CV6 dolly (SORNed)
Mk1 Xantia 1.9TD SX

'c'est hydropneumatique'
PhilGreaves
BXpert

Post by PhilGreaves »

Hi Graeme!! :P
Aerodynamica wrote:Looks really good and it needed the tweed interior 8)
thanks yeah just needs a clean..... :lol:
Aerodynamica wrote:I just need to recap: the LPG installation was not finished! It started and ran fine though if down on power.

There's no reason whatsoever that this car cannot run on gas: "not do-able" just doesn't compute for a carburetor car.
You've misunderstood; i meant economically. The problem was that lpg garages don't tend to want to bring up home done conversions to code; they want to convert your car for a fixed price and then service it every year. I got told by Graham that his mate would probably want to start again with it and in any rate charged something like £50 an hour plus VAT anyway so by the time you are done with bringing it up to code sorting out the issues at least 10 of them (so think two an hour) thats 5 x 50=250 + parts + VAT and thats being optomistic against around £500 for a new, modern up to code lpg system with a bigger tank. Bit of a no brainer really. And it was a lot down on power when you are shunting it which meant riding the clutch and high revs.

So i got Graham to rip it out so i could have time to think it through. Also he charges less an hour than the lpg place and he'd already had to remove alot of the lpg stuff in the engine bay to get more fuel to the carb and some was unsecured...so the rest was just dead weight....
Aerodynamica wrote:There's no reason whatsoever that this car cannot run on gas
well the fact the lpg system is now languishing in Nigel Wild's front garden may hinder things slightly ( :!: ) sorry couldn’t resist..twisted sense of humour..

Anyway as Tim said depends on mileage really..if i break 4k a year itll be worth thinking about...

Aerodynamica wrote:Did you ever sort out the problem with the FDV valve? I think I know what is wrong now after chats on the XM forum.
hmm..have a vague recollection of mentioning it to Graham ages ago (before gaydon last year) and he seemed to think they don't cause problems unless fiddled with or sommat...(springs or sommat does that make sense??!). Don't think he found anything though. What sort of symptoms were you experiencing? Would probably be a good time to put up what i've had done to it..in case it was something else that caused the problems..i can always scan the invoices if you want :?: May be of interest to some people as to what hasand hasn' been done :?:
Aerodynamica wrote: Well, best of luck with it..
Thanks nearly done now just some interior/audio things to work out and replace the radiator at some point. Rest assured its in good hands..we had one before you know..only we traded it for a zx*..don't think we'll make the same mistake twice.

Thanks very much matt; that plates website is amazing..they even do the dealer graphics....(yeah im a weirdo...). Well tempting to swap :wink: as my sister never believes me that bxs are faster than her fiesta st...but i don't think i could get insurance for one!! :lol:

In terms of driving it seems to drive fine; steering isn't as numb as the xantia and has a bit more weight to it. But is consistent.ride is good..rises fine..stops fine..so im guessing it was something very specific... ?

Oh and heres how its stored now; i think youll agree its much better than on the street!!

Don't suppsoe you've still got that mk 1 door rubber have you :?: ...
thanks
* horrendous thing; a special place in hell reserved for that car....
regards
Phil & Earl

1984 Citroen BX 16 TRS mk 1 "Earl" restored sept 2011 and now with fully functional power steering..!

Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

Great to see this one again. Lots of Mk1 love!
PhilGreaves
BXpert

Post by PhilGreaves »

right back at you..my fellow mk 1 bx owner :lol:
regards
Phil & Earl