Mk1 BX 19RD Estate RHD! A new home

A place for us to show off our cars in all their glory. Please keep picture sizes to about 800x600 pixels.
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

All running and bled. Was a bit of a pain. Had to park with the back end down a slope to get the air out of the heater. Then got stuck on my own driveway... :oops:

Not sure the fan is working though. My multimeter's temp probe reported 94 degrees (briefly) in the rad, just above the switch before I bottled it. I was going to try jamming 12v directly into the fan to make sure that it is working, but can't see an easy way to do that. Is there a relay/fuse for it somewhere as well?
toddao
BXpat

Post by toddao »

Ian, re the temp gauge - the two sensors just behind the 'stat are for the two stages of warning light for the coolant temp. I have removed one of these and used a tap to cut a new thread into it to fit the sensor for my temp gauge. Best to use a spare one to do this on or get someone 'experienced' as I shafted the first one I tried. Cut the 'head' off it, then tap into the body part. Take the power from the instrument panel dimmer switch under the steering shroud.
I can send pics of the installation if it helps plus a good solution as to where to place it in the car but I'm off to France for a few days tomorrow.

Re the fan - you can short out/bridge the connection on the fan thermal switch on the bottom of the rad to test the fans. Just remove the connector and bridge with a small piece of wire/paperclip and the fan should run. This switch could be cactus anyway as they do seem to fail.

Glad you're keeping at this - it will be worth it.
Todd

this yellow writing is really hard to read
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

Thanks Todd. Pics will be handy. I'm not going to fit it just yet.

The fan switch has three terminals. I wasn't sure which ones I needed to bridge. I'll give it a go tomorrow though if I get chance. If the switch is kaput, I will have to change it quickly. Can't afford to keep losing this expensive new coolant!

Have fun in France. Did Mat get my text re: seatbelts?
toddao
BXpat

Post by toddao »

Yes, Mat was here for the tropical weather last week - he got to drive the yellow break back from the swimming hole as I was a bit well irrigated! He asked me about the seat belts but as I've got a rather seat-belt hungry hound I've got no spares - gone through three sets in five years!
Todd

this yellow writing is really hard to read
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

Yeah, I think a dog is responsible for the state of the interior of this one! No worries.
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

Bridged the fan switch connections and sure enough, the fan whizzed into life. So, a new fan switch is needed then - though I have discovered that BX diesels rarely need the fan anyway - having spent a long time last winter trying to convince my TGD to get warm enough to make the fan cut-in. It just won't do it on tickover!

Rear seat belts are still a bit of a pain. With the iffy tailgate, access isn't quite as handy as it might be. Might still have an explore later today.
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

Dollywobbler wrote:Yeah, I think a dog is responsible for the state of the interior of this one! No worries.
Have a set of seats for you Ian mate when you want! 8)
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

Thanks! They'll be gratefully received once I get to that stage. Do you still have a set of Mk1 doors? They don't have to be immaculate, just preferably free of bloody great dents and too much rot!
Tim Leech
Over 2k

Post by Tim Leech »

I do mate, ones beige and ones blue, both a bit crusty but will do the job.
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

Thought I'd celebrate having banished the coolant leaks by recording a bit of video, so I can recall just how shoddy it was when I started!

Yes, the belts are noisy. Yes, the exhaust is blowing. Yes, the left-hand side is very battered! Yes, it does seem to need revs before rising up on the suspension. However, it works!

Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

Progress! Thanks to 'Roverman,' I now have a driver's door mirror, so I fitted that this morning. Easy!

Well, no. It seems that the adjuster arm on a Mk1 mirror is not compatible with the Mk2 doorcards that someone has fitted at some point - presumably driven by a desire for better speakers and the need for some utterly pointless window switches. So, I'm trying to force the door card to fit. I suspect a hacksaw may be required...

Hoping to sort out some proper Mk1 door cards at a later point.

Now I have some actual money, I can buy a battery and focus on getting the exhaust gas-tight once more.
Tim Leech
Over 2k

Post by Tim Leech »

Pleasure!

You could always fit a Mk2 one to get it through the MOT!
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

Hacked door card was the answer. Now moved on to the rear seat belts. Have managed to free both of the inertia reels off, so they actually work now. However, one of the buckles has rusted. Trying to get the bolt out is proving hard work. Very stiff.

Can you access the threaded part of the bolt from beneath? Would like to soak it in plusgas or similar while I have a brew.
RxBX
Over 2k

Post by RxBX »

Dollywobbler wrote:.................
Can you access the threaded part of the bolt from beneath? Would like to soak it in plusgas or similar while I have a brew.
Hi Ian,

You can just see the threads poking thro' the floor pan just above the exhaust cross-box IIRC, hence the threads can rust up being exposed to the elements making it difficult to remove the seat-belt buckles, so it a good idea to give them a good soak in duck oil/plus gas/WD-40 etc. so as not to damage/strip the threads in the threaded bush that's spot welded to the floor pan (As I've actually had them sheared off in the past) !

Do you still need any rear seat-belts then ?

As stated in the PM's I can only track down the centre cross/lap seat belt and one outer recoil type but I do have all three buckles.

Also please be aware they are at least two types/makes of seat-belts and the buckles to the seat-belt fastener are not compatible !

:)

Last edited by RxBX on Mon Sep 05, 2011 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

Thanks. Spoke to Mat on Facebook and he directed me to the threads. A bit of spray grease and the bolt came out much more easily. I don't think I need the rear belts at the moment, though they are still a little intermittent in how much they behave. Found a spare in my own junk pile, so have options if I still need to swap one out.

Due to poor access on the downpipe, I've decided to let the garage that does the MOT fit the new exhaust section. Much easier on a ramp. MOT is booked for Thursday morning...

There are various leaks. When I had the BX up on ramps, it started dripping coolant from somewhere around the back-left (as you look from the front) of the engine. There is also a slight LHM leak somewhere near where the column meets the rack and oil leaking from many places.

So, even if I do miraculously get an MOT pass, still lots to do!