Free bx

Buy or sell parts etc. Please put 'Wanted' in the title if it is a request for parts.
RxBX
Over 2k

Post by RxBX »

jacksun1987 wrote:My bx is at Bullwinkles.
At the weekend it had major hydraulic failure .
Bullwinkles said its to do with the metal pipe at the back end.
I thought the pipes was rubber
mat_fenwick wrote:I would suggest that you want whatever is the value for collected scrap locally if you do leave it with them. If they don't offer you this, remember it's still your car.
Hi Paul,

I agree with Mat /\ its worth a least scrap/value money + cash any tax in remaining on it (If you let it go that way) !

Regarding a rear pipe that's burst/blown there's only three high pressure feed pipes and one low pressure return pipe (Front to rear) of the car which were only a few £'s from the Citroen main dealers to buy (If these are N/A they can easily be made up by a Citroen Indy) then there's a small length of feed-pipe from the the height ride corrector to a three or four way union then a couple of 'Pigs tail' brake feed-pipes and another two to the rear suspension cylinders that go across the rear sub-frame as can be seen HERE which are also all fairly reasonable to buy.

Also a competent DIYer or experienced Citroen Indy garage could change/repair any or all of these pipes fairly easily/quickly !

I'd like to know exactly what £500-600 worth of part's/labour was going to buy you with them :shock:

Also if IIRC you've put the Alloy Speed-lines on this one from the Black TZD, if you were to do a swap (If you need to keep the car on wheels) with some-one or just sell them (With the Stud-bolts of course) that could recover some £'s for you if you decide to scrap it, just an :idea:

All the best with what you decide to do with it !

:)

Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

Hmm, tread with caution on this one! Im not suggesting anything but you may not be getting the "best deal"
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
Mike E (uk)
1K Away

Post by Mike E (uk) »

I agree with RXBX,

Chances are it is one of the hydraulic pipes bust where they cross over the rear subframe.

This should not be a big enough failure to write off an otherwise sorted turbo D BX.

Perhaps you just need to keep the faith a we bit longer!

Mike
la BX 16 soupapes: sachez apprecier avec moderation.

It might be clever now, but it won't be in the morning!
Defender110
Over 2k
My Cars: Land Rover Discovery Series 1 200tdi 3 door
Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5
2020 Fiat Panda cross 4x4 twin air.

Post by Defender110 »

RxBX wrote: I'd like to know exactly what £500-600 worth of part's/labour was going to buy you with them :shock:
jacksun1987 wrote: But on the way back down it went on the motor way. The warning lights came on.
Bullwikle said its to do with the metal pipe at the back end.
I suspect there might be some sort of recovery charge already accrued and needs to be settled??
Kevan
1997 Mercedes C230 W202
2003 Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5 - Daily driver / hobby days and camping.
1993 Land Rover Discovery 200tdi Series 1 3 door - in need of TLC
2020 Fiat Panda 4x4 Cross Twin Air.
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

/\ That's probably right - recovery can be rather expensive if you're not in the AA/RAC and could quite easily exceed scrap value depending how far he'd got back from London.

It's also quite possible that the quote includes other work deemed required - if I worked on cars for a living I would make very sure there wasn't anything else just about to let go (such as other pipework) as if something failed a week later I would have a very unhappy customer...

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
jacksun1987
BXpert

Post by jacksun1987 »

I spoke to tim at bullwikles Going to sort it out tomorrow. I think his selling it for parts. I be very happy if i get 200 for it Then its up to him what he does. 300 would be a bonus. Its still got mot till january. And tax october. It has the speedlines on it. Light protectors. The engines still good. All the other stuff works on it. Just the rev counter.
I was nearly there with it. Or it needed doing was 1 more good wax for the paint work. Sort the other hole in the boot out. Then a rev counter senser. Then it would have been at its best.
It was superb driving it up to london. The steering was good as well. Didnt seem to get stiff. Like I said before. Or it needed was the belt tighning on it. But it was no where near as bad as the black one.
PAUL JACKSON
1991 h reg 1.7tzd hatch in black 159.000 miles had
1992 k reg 1.7 txd hatch in red 179. 000 miles had
Renaul laguna exspessin 02 plate 1.8 16v 75 k had
cosa 1.2 brezze 150 k had
406 glx 1.9 td 170k s reg white got
jacksun1987
BXpert

Post by jacksun1987 »

Well tim said he will be on the fourm tonight to chat to me about it. I hope hes not forgot then he could tell you stright what needs doing to it.
PAUL JACKSON
ruffgeezer
Confirmed BX'er

Post by ruffgeezer »

Oh hey, did you guys forget I was on here?

When this thread was posted, we were awaiting Paul's decision as to what he wanted to do with the car.

The car arrived with us at the weekend via the AA, and we were informed that it had suffered a major hydraulic leak, we got the car in and on the lift on monday to inspect the damage.

Basically it comes to this, one of the high pressure suspension pipes from the front to rear has burst, and the others are in pretty poor condition as well, so we allowed for their replacement in our quote.

At best it is 6 hours to replace the pipe correctly out labour rate is £45+ vat an hour (or £65+vat for the local main dealer) you then have 4 pipes at around £25+vat each plus seals. We also recommended that as the rear axle needs to be dropped that the short pipes and brake pipes should ideally be replaced too, as all are in a similar condition (3 short pipes £15+vat, brake pipes £10+vat), so that is £435 before we have even considered things like fresh fluids, seals etc.

We are VERY through with our work and there simply would be no point in doing half a job, otherwise the same could well have happened again. If people want to take issue with that, that is fine, but it is not fair to cast aspersions on us without knowing the facts.

At no point have we attempted to get Paul to surrender the car to us.

I don't think I would describe it as a "well sorted" bx, it isn't for me to post details of a customer's car but I do wish people on forums who have no first hand experience of a car would stop casting opinion on condition, it isn't fair to people who aren't as well informed as others.

I personally spoke to Paul today regarding the car, and we decided it would be fair to offer parts to anyone who needs bits, but that I would arrange for it to be weighed in and pass the money that came from it being scrapped on to him, so at least he will get something back, in fact I will even print of a V14 form off for him to get a refund on what tax is left.

I must say that I'm disappointed that you all leapt straight for the pitchforks, even though several of you have dealt with us in the past, without knowing any of the facts.

Tim
Tim Leech
Over 2k

Post by Tim Leech »

What would it cost "just to get it back on the road", so paul could stand a chance of selling it and getting some of the moneys he put back in or maybe wait a wee while longer until he/someone can afford to get the rest of the work done at a later date.

It does seem a shame that it gets broken up for one burst pipe.
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

Roverman wrote:What would it cost "just to get it back on the road"
From Tim's maths, £354. Not much of a saving unfortunately and IMO a false economy, as what use is a car if you cannot rely on it?
Roverman wrote:or maybe wait a wee while longer until he/someone can afford to get the rest of the work done at a later date.
Problem is, most people will want to spend £4-500 on a BX that looks better (I'm not trying to cause offence, but there are better looking cars around). Most people judge a car by its appearance...

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
ruffgeezer
Confirmed BX'er

Post by ruffgeezer »

Roverman wrote:What would it cost "just to get it back on the road"
The problem is, that you would end up disturbing all the other pipes during the work anyway, and why would you want to pass on car with questionable pipes? That isn't fair on the new owner, on Paul if he cops the flack for it and us as a garage, as he'll have an invoice for replacing one pipe with our name on it.

It isn't that we are trying to profiteer on these things, but we have been repairing citroens now for a long time, and we have a good reputation for our work, to do something in that way wouldn't be good for anyone involved.
Tim Leech
Over 2k

Post by Tim Leech »

I understand your point, but if someone just cant afford it then its decision time. I work in the trade myself and know its not always and easy one to call. I am not questioning your work by the way, just seems a shame thats pauls had so much bad luck, and due to lack of time/skills hes had two BX's that have cost him a fortune.

Its a shame noone on here who could do the work themselves can take it on?.
ruffgeezer
Confirmed BX'er

Post by ruffgeezer »

This goes back to my point earlier, both these cars had a good reputation on here, but neither of them were as good as stated in reality.

The trouble largely with the BX market is that most people who are running them still run them as "bangers" hence they don't get the maintenance they need, which causes a lot of issues.

These days you need one of 2 things to be a bx fan; either the money to throw at problems or the know how to be able to fix them when they arise, it's a shame that Paul has been stung twice which is why I'm trying to help him out now.
jacksun1987
BXpert

Post by jacksun1987 »

Yep i know its bad luck. Just one of them things. I spent 700 to 80 on the black one. I bought it for 700. And it still wasnt perfect. The red one all togeather. With tax delivery from auction. And buying it cost. 450. Plus 300 on the engine so it doesnt smoke. And to make it so it started. When i had that problerm with the filter housing.
Well u know where it is plus it has got tax mot on it. you could drive it bk. Take a gallon of lhm Then travle at 30 mph lol
PAUL JACKSON
themildbunch
BXpert

Post by themildbunch »

ruffgeezer wrote:This goes back to my point earlier, both these cars had a good reputation on here, but neither of them were as good as stated in reality.

The trouble largely with the BX market is that most people who are running them still run them as "bangers" hence they don't get the maintenance they need, which causes a lot of issues.

These days you need one of 2 things to be a bx fan; either the money to throw at problems or the know how to be able to fix them when they arise, it's a shame that Paul has been stung twice which is why I'm trying to help him out now.
Couldn't be put better...

For all the great deals some owners get with garage lavished 'grandad' cars some of us end up buy cars which need regular work. I've spent a bit and learned a lot but then I like fixing things and my BX's are long term projects and I'm happy to give up time on them.

As they all get older and the parts supply gets more problematic these scrap it, pay for it or fix it yourself questions are going to be more common.

There's a lot of great accumulated knowledge on these forums.... I'd say fix it yourself or at least have a go or even have fun taking it apart and selling the parts here!
1988 BX 19 Gti 16v
1991 BX 17 TZD Estate
1991 BX 17 TZD Estate