Mk1 BX 19RD Estate RHD! A new home

A place for us to show off our cars in all their glory. Please keep picture sizes to about 800x600 pixels.
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

Ive got to fit a complete new exhaust next week to the 19TZD, ive taken the whole of Tuesday off to tackle it, as the front pipe will be fun! Im hpoing the nuts just snap off as Ive got a new fitting kit too, which cost more than the front pipe :lol:
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
Des Smith
1K Away

Post by Des Smith »

Dollywobbler wrote:Thought I'd celebrate having banished the coolant leaks by recording a bit of video, so I can recall just how shoddy it was when I started!
Awesome horror video! I thought my BX was a bit of a shed when I bought it but this one takes the biscuit. I cannot begin to express my admiration for anyone taking on a project of this magnitude. There doesn't seem to be a single undented panel and it sounds like a V1. All power to your elbow and I shall follow the thread with interest. It will be great to see it restored.

Have you established whether it really is the last Mk 1 estate in the UK?

^^bx>
BX14TE St Tropez 1990 - now sold
Xsara Forte 1.4i 2000
Kawasaki GPz550A4 1987
Defender110
Over 2k
My Cars: Land Rover Discovery Series 1 200tdi 3 door
Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5
2020 Fiat Panda cross 4x4 twin air.

Post by Defender110 »

Were you driving round on a Massey Ferguson whilst filming :wink: :lol:
Kevan
1997 Mercedes C230 W202
2003 Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5 - Daily driver / hobby days and camping.
1993 Land Rover Discovery 200tdi Series 1 3 door - in need of TLC
2020 Fiat Panda 4x4 Cross Twin Air.
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

I must admit, it does sound a bit too similar to my neighbour's little grey Fergie...

Hopefully it'll quieten down with the new exhaust. It's still quieter than my VM-engined Range Rover...
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

Yeah, but so is a pneumatic drill! :lol:

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

Very true!

Did a quick pre-MOT on the BX tonight. Nearside front sidelight wasn't working. Seems to be typical French electrics there - wiggle the wire and it works fine! Will have to just hope it works for the actual test. I'm quite used to this with the 2CV...

Still confused by the hazard lights. They still only work with the ignition on. This can't be right surely? Worries me because there's a fair chance that I'll run out of the fuel on the way to the petrol station...

Oh, and I think the accumulator is flat. Pump seems to be running constantly on tickover, but cuts out for barely a second with the revs raised slightly.
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

BX has MOT! Scraped through with a few advisories. However, success is marred by a minor tragedy - the water pump is clearly leaking.

I think I'll therefore have to avoid risking a trip to Stratford on Sunday. :cry:

To do list has grown somewhat. Major next steps are:

Radiator fan switch replacement
Timing belt and water pump (never done these before!)
Accumulator sphere
Possibly a rear suspension sphere as got an advisory on a minor weep (sphere seal?)

Longer term, the engine oil leak seems to have made a bit of a mess of the RH front suspension arm bushes - though no play showed up during the test. However, there is a clunk that side (not ARB links) so I reckon a new arm or bushes are a good step. Not until I've stopped the engine drenching that side in oil though! Any thoughts on possible leak areas? Cam cover gasket?

Found her very pleasant to drive, if a little short on power. Not sure if this is just because I've done a lot of miles in my 150bhp Saab recently, because she's 6bhp down on The Green Tiger or if she's just struggling with stale fuel.
Tim Leech
Over 2k

Post by Tim Leech »

I found with my DTR, judt drive it everywhere with the pedal to the floor and it goes quite well!. :lol:

Well done though mate, REALLY hope you can make Stratford.!
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

If you can pop round here Friday night (I'm sure you're fairly used to regularly topping up BX coolant) with a belt and pump I can fit them. I also have a spare accumulator in stock.

As for the wishbone bushes, Mk1s rotate on roller bearings although I'm not sure whether they're also rubber mounted. If not, I wouldn't worry.

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
Tim Leech
Over 2k

Post by Tim Leech »

mat_fenwick wrote:If you can pop round here Friday night (I'm sure you're fairly used to regularly topping up BX coolant) with a belt and pump I can fit them. I also have a spare accumulator in stock.

As for the wishbone bushes, Mk1s rotate on roller bearings although I'm not sure whether they're also rubber mounted. If not, I wouldn't worry.
Im told the later Mk1 also had rubber bushes so could be worth checking!
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

Thanks folks. It seems to be losing a litre of water for every 30 miles, so it is quite bad. Have spoken to Lockwood's about the belt kit and pump with some other bits, but not sure the stuff would be here for tomorrow.
Tim Leech
Over 2k

Post by Tim Leech »

Unless you limp to Stratford and do it then?
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

I guess it's a possiblility. BX does have a low coolant light after all...

However, we have got someone staying with us on the Saturday night, so I'd be struggling to get away too early on the Sunday - then it's about a 3hr drive... (how quickly can you do a cambelt/water pump change Mat?!)
toddao
BXpat

Post by toddao »

Well done with the MOT! As your car is 1986 it won't have the roller bearings - they stopped after August '85, it will have the conventional rubber bushes of the later models.

Re the lack of power - they obviously aren't going to break any landspeed records but they should still go pretty well. I would clean out the tank - it's going to be full of shit, put some injector cleaner through it, get the timing adjusted ( Mat will probably do this if he does the cam belt etc). Once you've been driving it for a while you'll get used to its dynamics. Maybe post a vid with you driving along and the various 1.9 n/a drivers will be able to give you a rough idea if it's behaving normally!
Todd

this yellow writing is really hard to read
Tim Leech
Over 2k

Post by Tim Leech »

What did you do about the exhaust Ian? was it much of a job?