BX16 Meteor for sale - now SOLD

Buy or sell parts etc. Please put 'Wanted' in the title if it is a request for parts.
mnde
Meteor Man
My Cars: 2007 Citroen Xsara Picasso 1.6 16V VTX
1982 Citroen GSA Spécial Estate - gone to a new home
1991 Citroen BX16 TGS Meteor - still out there somewhere!

BX16 Meteor for sale - now SOLD

Post by mnde »

'91H BX16 TGS "Meteor" Special Edition Hatchback, dark grey metallic (Gris Silex), with the GTi black and red pinstripe interior.

Showing 104,500 miles (but the speedo cable had been broken for about half a year when I bought it and I got it fixed after a few weeks of driving).

MOT until end of May 2012. Tax until Feb 2012.

I've owned it since December 2005. 2 previous owners in Poole and Swanage.

Substantial service history, with all invoices and MOTs, including from previous ownership. I even have the original bill of sale!

All electrics work except driver's door courtesy light switch and hence the "lights on" warning buzzer only operates if someone opens the passenger door.

Sunroof a tad reluctant sometimes, benefits from spray grease on the runners... I check the drain tubes regularly. Fuel gauge and tachometer backlight bulbs need replacing... Comes with a Clarion CD player pilfered from my previous dead BX.

Good spheres. Struts only creaky when approaching high position. Is one of those BXs that loses pressure relatively quickly from the rear circuit and looks like a "basking shark" after being parked for a while. Tyres have a decent amount of tread on them, but getting on the old side - Michelins at front, Uniroyals at rear.

Main parts replaced:
Battery terminals (2011)
Alternator belt, Hydraulic belt (2011)
Sparkplugs and HT leads (2010-11)
Coolant flush and renewal using orange OAT antifreeze (2010)
Both front wheelbearings and swivel balljoints (2010)
Rear height corrector, s/h (2010)
Battery (2010)
3x doors, front and rear seats and both front wings donated by my other Meteor (2008)
Droplinks, lower suspension arm bearings (2008)
Accumulator sphere (2008)
Welding repairs carried out to inner wings/wheelarch splash panels, and bulkhead drain underneath washer reservoirs (2008)
Ignition coil, s/h (2007)
Clutch kit & cable, water pump, cambelt, new Valeo radiator, octopus (2006)
Front spheres (2006)
Rear arm bearings (2005)
Windscreen, handbrake cables, front flexis (2005)

Last oil & filter/air filter change - July/Aug 2010.

Needs:
Usual weld in rear corner of floor where exhaust hanger is.
Welding repair to nearside B pillar and sill.
Suspected play in steering rack axial bush(es), possibly a NS trackrod end too.
Usual leak from FDV, also a leak from one a plastic leakoff/breather pipe somewhere under the offside rear sill.
Alternator needs new brushes soon.
Slight leak from distributor or fuel pump oil seal.
Thermostat bleed screw sheared off in partially open position in 2007. There's a rubber stopper secured with a jubilee clip in place over the bleed pipe.
LHM flush/filter clean overdue. Due to various leaks I've had to keep the LHM topped up with fresh stuff though.
Advisories from MOT in May: one flexi brake hose slightly perished, brakes only just passed the imbalance test.

Exhaust vibration from front. I'm told it's not blowing but I'm not sure. Downpipe might be touching the floor or a heat shield somewhere.

Paint finish worn/faded in patches on bonnet, roof, top of tailgate. Rear spoiler has crazed "distressed look" finish. Some bastard keyed the bonnet while we were on honeymoon as well.

Spares included:
1x Solex carburettor, 2nd hand but cleaned ready for overhaul.
1x downpipe fitting kit.
1 s/h headlamp, rear light clusters, indicators etc.
1x driveshaft.
1x new front wiper motor.

It has shared daily driving duties on and off with my GSA during my ownership. It has regularly been used for long runs (e.g. holidays, to Stratford, Godmanchester meets). I drove it to Citromobile in Utrecht, Holland, in 2006. It gets a nice run on a dual carriageway on my journeys to and from work. In short a decent, useable, reliable car that just needs a bit of tidying and a few bits and pieces sorting.

OIRO £450 including tax and all spares, open to negotiation.

Located in Woking, Surrey. Some pics here:

http://s25.photobucket.com/albums/c78/mnde/BX%20pics/

PM me if you're interested or know someone who may be interested. I'm looking for a relatively quick sale, but want to avoid Ebay if possible...

I can take more photos on request :)

Cheers,

Mark.
Last edited by mnde on Sun Sep 18, 2011 10:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mnde
Meteor Man

Post by mnde »

The reason I'm selling is that my finances are in a bad way and I can't afford to pay for the jobs to keep the BX in tiptop condition, nor do I have sufficient time or the facilities to tackle some of the work needed. Plus it could really do with at least a partial respray to smarten it up, but again, no spare dosh or skills/facilities.

I should mention that one of the main high-flow, low pressure returns to the LHM reservoir (the so called "little octopus") sprang a leak recently in a bend in the hose, and I fixed it using some cunifer brake pipe that was in place from an earlier repair (i.e. I moved the piece of pipe further down inside the hose and clamped it where the new fracture was). This repair can be seen in one of the pictures in the link above, and it is holding nicely. Ideally though, the whole pipe really should be replaced, or repaired more professionally than I could manage with limited money/resources. Also the leak from the Flow Diverter Valve is more like a weep (a few drips on the driveway every day) and the little plastic pipe under the sill I mentioned - similarly, just a few drips every so often.

Also I forgot to say that the radiator top hose was replaced at the same time as the radiator. The coolant does seem to require topping up every so often. I can't see where it's going, but it is a very slow loss. I've got into the habit of checking it regularly as I lost my previous BX to a radiator coolant leak which lead to HGF. Thinking about it, I have noticed a slight smell of coolant when operating the heater in the recent colder weather... so I'll take a look at the connections to the heater matrix...

Also the gearbox oil was changed last year. I pointlessly changed a driveshaft (and its oil seal) when it was actually the wheelbearing - on the other side - that was the culprit.

Mark.
mnde
Meteor Man

Post by mnde »

How about £395 or offers in the vicinity thereof.

The heater is nice and toasty, the temp control knob works fully and the blower motor is powerful and works at all speeds. The engine is willing and the car accelerates well since I tweaked the timing.

I forgot: a new Valeo ignition barrel has been fitted, and I bought a full lock set, the spine key type - so the doors are fitted with new locks, and there are spare locks to fit the fuel filler cap and glovebox. I didn't get around to fitting these, so the car comes with 2 spine keys and 2 flat keys.

I've got a replacement car lined up, so I need a relatively quick sale.

Any comments on this thread or PMs welcome.

Cheers,

Mark.
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

Seems value to me! We need to recruit more BX lovers to our cause perhaps.
scooters
Confirmed BX'er

Post by scooters »

This one is hopefully coming my way...

Only 22 of these left!
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

Very good news, glad it's to be kept in 'The Family'...
• 1992 Citroen BX TZD Turbo Hurricane
• 2006 Xsara Picasso 1.6 16v
Stinkwheel
1K Away

Post by Stinkwheel »

Great news, i was tempted myself.

BUT if the 22 of these left is lifted from the MOT figures as found here somewhere, then don't believe them for a second.
Doctor Of Gonzo Journalism!!!
93 BX TZD Estate
90 BX 14TE St Tropez
93 BX 19 TXD Estate
92 BX 16TXi
77 Ami 8 Break
79 Acadiane
81 Dyane6
84 2CV6
85 GSA saloon rally car
To slightly mis-quote Kitch ... "BX 14. They're just brilliant!"
scooters
Confirmed BX'er

Post by scooters »

Figs from howmanyleft.co.UK so no idea how accurate.

But for BX 16 TRS Meteor there are 26 taxed and 11 sorn

Like so many older cars numbers were ok until the scrappage scheme.
mnde
Meteor Man

Post by mnde »

Many thanks to Rich :) I too am very glad it's remaining In the Family. I was dreading letting it loose on Fleabay so I'm mighty relieved it's going to a very good home.

By the way Rich, I've driven a BX to Scotland before - it did me proud. Here's a pic of my previous 1.6 Meteor near Gare Loch in 2004.

RIP :cry:

Mark.
scooters
Confirmed BX'er

Post by scooters »

Cheers Mark.

Can't wait to collect...I have a weakness for 3.cars ...

DAFs because of the huge grin you get driving them

Volvo 240s because of the tank like indestructiblity...I especially like them in daft saloon guise...as the impracticality of not being an estate speaks of bloody mindedness of the original owners. The barge like cornering reminds me of driving a 1970s Rolls.

And the BX...because it is so comfortable and takes the best bits of Andres genius whilst diluting them with a large dollop of common sense...because, like the GS..they where everywhere a few years ago and suddenly you never see them and because unlike the wonderful CX....the hatch configuration and simplicity of servicing makes them so practical as a modern daily which stands out from the crowd.

If I do not own at least one of the above at any one moment I get twitchy!
mnde
Meteor Man

Post by mnde »

Hehe, luckily I can get my BX fix from my friend Chris (ren16tx) who's crazy about them and always has at least one! The GSA is my toy, and having something a little more modern as a daily will free up more time and funds to concentrate on the G.

I'd love to try a DAF one day :)

Mark.
scooters
Confirmed BX'er

Post by scooters »

I'm quite tempted to explore the world of the GS when I get a bit more fiscally stable (if this recession ever bloody ends)
1991 BX16 TGS Meteor (arriving soon)
1996 306 TD
1997 Subaru Legacy 2.5 Quadcam