Wanted: New engine 1.6 carb or similar petrol

Buy or sell parts etc. Please put 'Wanted' in the title if it is a request for parts.
maxgreenwood
BXpert

Wanted: New engine 1.6 carb or similar petrol

Post by maxgreenwood »

for my unwell 16TZS.

I can't drive it now it's so smelly burning oil. Probably the piston rings the garage reckons. Oil breather is fine, not blocked.

I had a clutch fitted recently and cambelt and octopus + two new (re-con) struts and spheres all round, so i'd like to save it. I do like it.
'92 16TXS (m), Dark metallic green, 74k
'90 16TZS (m), White, 86k
'89 19TRS auto, Olympic Blue, 133k
'88 Saab 900 8v Turbo (auto) 107k Red with Tan leather, lovely drive and well maintained.
'07 Hyundai Santa Fe 2.2 CRDi 85k (m). Practical family wagon
Willy
BXpert

Post by Willy »

This has been up for ages, I think he wanted to break it, I keep meaning to phone him about his wheels. In the UK though, but could be promising.
ImageImageImageImageImage
Mike E (uk)
1K Away

Post by Mike E (uk) »

These cars rarely wear out their rings, are you sure it is not just the valve guide oil seals?

These can go rock hard at only 80,000 miles in the 8v petrol cars.

Head off to replace, but easier than an engine change for most people.

Mike
la BX 16 soupapes: sachez apprecier avec moderation.

It might be clever now, but it won't be in the morning!
sdelasal
BXpert

Post by sdelasal »

Max - does it smoke when you're driving along...? Or does it smoke when you've been decelerating and suddenly hit the gas pedal? If the later, then it's the valve seals - simple(r) to fix. If the former, then rings. Did the garage do a compression test or a leakdown test? - that should shed some light on the problem. Compression test should take a garage no more than 15min and is as simple as changing spark. If compression is low and a tablespoon of oil cures it then the rings/bore are shot.
Mike E (uk)
1K Away

Post by Mike E (uk) »

Yes, a compression test is a good idea.

Mine smoked as soon as the oil had warmed up, 3 mins after starting the car, and then made blue smoke continually.

New seals and it ran very clean indeed.

Mike

docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Post by docchevron »

the fact it's knocking from the bottom end aswell though and I can see the appeal of just changing the whole power unit, since, unless your able to strip and rebuild an engine yourself, it's most likely easier to throw a whole good engine in. If Max was nearer, then no probs, I'd do it for him, but it's a bit far for me!
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
maxgreenwood
BXpert

Post by maxgreenwood »

yeah i don't know too much about heads, seals and valves. I might get the compression test thing done. It only smokes when fully hot, although not at idle. It smokes on acceleration or steady throttle up a hill say, doesn't seem to be linked to accelerating after deccelerating.

Mat Fenwick has kindly offered to help with an engine swap, and he's not too far from the Irish sea.

Richard has a 40,000 mile 1.9 carb engine, albiet er.. in a car. It sounds like there is someone near him also that could help with an engine swap.

I like the idea of the 1.9, is the fuel economy bad compared to the 1.6, and what about gear ratios?
'92 16TXS (m), Dark metallic green, 74k
'90 16TZS (m), White, 86k
'89 19TRS auto, Olympic Blue, 133k
'88 Saab 900 8v Turbo (auto) 107k Red with Tan leather, lovely drive and well maintained.
'07 Hyundai Santa Fe 2.2 CRDi 85k (m). Practical family wagon
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

maxgreenwood wrote:
I like the idea of the 1.9, is the fuel economy bad compared to the 1.6, and what about gear ratios?
The differences are not bad, 3-5mpg I would say, your box would fit straight on.
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
JayW
1K Away

Post by JayW »

maxgreenwood wrote:, and what about gear ratios?
No noticeable difference (if any). The car will just be quicker (and more powerful) than the 1.6.
I have zero patience for your tedium.
Mike E (uk)
1K Away

Post by Mike E (uk) »

If the big ends are knocking then a new engine is the way ahead.

Mike

philhod
BXpert

Post by philhod »

The engine out of my old meteor was on an engine stand in the college workshop.
It was a 16 and in good order, it's probably been apart and back together a few times :lol:
There was nowt wrong with it as I was converting it to 19 diesel at the time.I'll check if it's still useable and get back.
If I took it to Mat's in N wales, that's not too far from Holyhead if you nip over.
There are only very minor differences in gear ratio's/ final drives. Even your speedo would still be in calibration
67 and still rockin (but not in a chair)