Matt H - 16v madness

Tell us about life with your BX, or indeed life in general!
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

is the 405 dash a direct swop, quite like it tbh.
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
Matt H
1K Away

Post by Matt H »

mat_fenwick wrote:
Matt H wrote:removing the aftermarket tweeters (they've been annoying me for about seven years :lol: ) which weren't working properly anyway. Will fit some proper ones in the correct space on the dash when I get chance.
I've got some you can have, they are aftermarket but I modified them to fit underneath the grilles in the dash. I took them out as they sounded too sharp, but if they sound OK to your ears then you're welcome.
Well, only if you don't want them any more. Quite happy to buy some others anyway, they're not particularly expensive... I'm going to send those RCA splitters back tomorrow, as well as a couple of other bits... :wink:
Roverman wrote:is the 405 dash a direct swop, quite like it tbh.
The dials are actually out of a 205 GTI. Basically it is a direct replacement (For a GTI/16v). No modification needed at all for it to physically fit, although you lose the oil level indicator (Which is woefully inaccurate anyway). You'd need to wire in associated temp gauges in a lower spec BX. They do look a lot classier than the Citroen ones, especially the orange illumination (an orange clock would finish it off nicely). I only put them in initially because I thought my speedo head had packed up, but it was just the cable playing silly buggers.

Also, does anybody know how I can fix my rear light cluster earthing problems? Think we need a Technical FAQ on the subject... :)
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

Matt H wrote:Well, only if you don't want them any more.
No problem, like I said the sound isn't for me but maybe I have strange ears? If you PM me your address (again!) I'll pop them in the post.
Matt H wrote:Also, does anybody know how I can fix my rear light cluster earthing problems? Think we need a Technical FAQ on the subject... :)
Is it not just the earthing post needing a clean? Have you been storing it anywhere damp recently? :lol: Rather strangely all the wiring is routed through the nearside cluster, giving twice as many potential points of poor contact.
EDIT - at least on the estate they are.

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
Matt H
1K Away

Post by Matt H »

I don't know, it almost seems worse than that. All the lights on the dash dim when I touch the brakes or use the indicators. Try the simple things first I suppose...
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

:shock: There are people that still use their indicators nowadays? It seems like most people are saving the electricity to keep the rear fog lights on all the time!

Mine do that too, at least on the red one. It's not got to the stage of more than a slight irritation (yet!) so haven't investigated it. Logically it has to be a high resistance *somewhere* shared between the circuits. When you've found the problem and cured it I'll put something in the FAQ section...

1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
Matt H
1K Away

Post by Matt H »

Well, I'm not too worried about the dash bulbs dimming, but the brake lights do the same thing when the indicators are flashing... Could fail an MoT. Could also invite a tug from the police, which I could do without.

Been practising with the soldering iron, I'm getting quite good at it now. Really loving heat shrink tubing too :lol:
Tim Leech
Over 2k

Post by Tim Leech »

Thanks Matt

I was thinking for the 16TRS, which has all 4 gauges anyway, will have to keep an eye for one.
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

Matt H wrote:an orange clock would finish it off nicely
I think the clock module itself is the same as on a Mark 2 205 GTi, but it's been a while since doing anything with a late 205. Ironically I only realised the similarity today, when I took a BX clock apart to see how easy it would be to change the coloured filter to orange. I like green so this was just out of curiosity (as you do!) and ended up with a non working clock when all the LCD pieces fell into my lap... :oops:
If I'm right though, you would just be able to fit the 205 module to the BX tray without any dismantling.

As for the gauges Tim, eBay list a few.

1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
Matt H
1K Away

Post by Matt H »

Ahhh, good old PSA parts sharing. Got to love it! Also the same as a roof-mounted Mk1 Citroen AX (Might just be the GT?) Clock, which is orange.

Trying to work out why that auction has gone to that price though. There's a couple on BIN for less :lol:
Matt H
1K Away

Post by Matt H »

Also, I will be selling one of my cars soon. The Grey Valver really needs to go, but it looks like it will be staying in the family, so it will be looked after...

Reason for sale:

Do I really need to justify myself? :twisted:
Tim Leech
Over 2k

Post by Tim Leech »

mat_fenwick wrote:
As for the gauges Tim, eBay list a few.
Already been snopping thanks! :lol:
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

Oh wow. I demand video! I still miss my 164 V6. Astonishing noise and a modern engine that's beautiful to look at! Quite tempted by a 156...
Tim Leech
Over 2k

Post by Tim Leech »

Rather sad to hear your selling the valver! :cry:
Matt H
1K Away

Post by Matt H »

Well, nothing has actually gone ahead yet... But I've always wanted a 156, and this one is sat in my Dad's garage not being driven. He's hankering after a BX again, so it kind of seems appropriate :lol:

The sound is truly spectacular. And it is (Surprisingly!) quicker than the 205 :oops:. Momo leather seats, manual gearbox and working aircon just finish it off for me too.

Hmmmmm:
Roverman wrote:Rather sad to hear your selling the valver! :cry:
Not as sad as I am... I really like it, but I'm not attached to it in the same way I am the white one, which for some daft reason I want to keep forever. If space weren't an issue, i'd just tuck it away and leave it for a year or so, and lavish some time and money on it. But storage is hard to come by... and usually expensive.

I went through a phase of wanting to give the white one away... Thank God the chap I offered it to couldn't have it in the end :wink:

I suppose I could sell the Peugeot instead, but then I'd upset Mr Fenwick :lol:
Mike P
BXpert

Post by Mike P »

Fitting Bx 16V clocks into a 205 is a popular modification as the Puggers see the green back light and numbers on the outer gauges to be superior.

You've done the opposite :lol:

Mike P
"F" White Phase 1 16V: 62K miles & seen on TV
"E" Grey Phase 1 16V: Long term project in bits