Hurricane is dead

Anything about BXs
Gary
BXpert

Hurricane is dead

Post by Gary »

A month ago almost to the day i was celebrating the mot pass of dads GTI Hurricane.
Well last night it was hit by 60 year old woman ,whist it was parked outside his house, although her age had nothing to do with the accident the fact that she was 3 times over the drink drive limit did :shock: .
To be honest he was lucky he was not caught up in the accident as he had just parked it up and as he went into the house she hit his car pushing it 3 doors up the road.
She then drove off but stopped just up the road where she was arrested.
It doesn't look good for the car and dad is well upset as it is/was his pride and joy.
Anyway here are some pictures i took tonight sorry they are a bit dark

Well can't really say much more but really gutted.
RxBX
Over 2k

Re: Hurricane is dead

Post by RxBX »

Gary wrote:...........................
Well last night it was hit by 60 year old woman ,whist it was parked outside his house, although her age had nothing to do with the accident the fact that she was 3 times over the drink drive limit did :shock: .
Well can't really say much more but really gutted.
Oh dear Gary thats terrible :shock: :evil:

What a stuuuupid bitch driving whilst pi$$ed up !

Could she not used a fecking taxi or bus (@ 60 she should even qualify for a free bus pass) !

Well its definitely going to be an insurance write off, try settling for a minimum of least say £1k (inclusive of the keeping custody of the vehicle) with it being a Hurricane !

Reason being its unlikely that if you father finds a decent/replacement Hurricane so maybe a GTi/TZD would suffice (In Triton Green) then you could use some of the specific Hurricane parts for the new one (Especially the Seats) and Alloy Speed-lines !

If IIRC Paul's TZD Hurricane that got written off was not as badly damaged as your dads !

The /\ taken from THIS thread/posting (For ref.) !

All the best in sorting it out :!:

Last edited by RxBX on Tue Dec 13, 2011 11:28 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Paul296
Over 2k
My Cars: Citroen BX 17 TZD Hurricane
Citroen BX 17 TGD

Post by Paul296 »

First things first; it's really great that no one was hurt, but in every other way what a tragedy! I didn't think there were any GTI Hurricanes left - well there aren't now!

I'm gutted myself looking at those pics and it wasn't even my car (though I do have a soft spot for Hurricanes!) Such a shame. :cry: :cry:

edit; I can only reiterate what RxBx said; hold out for a grand on the insurance - that car is irreplacable. When mine was written off (in rather ropey cosmetic condition) they offered me 200 quid - I held out and got 450 + 180 scrappage in the end.
RxBX
Over 2k

Post by RxBX »

Paul296 wrote:..............
I can only reiterate what RxBx said; hold out for a grand on the insurance - that car is irreplaceable. When mine was written off (in rather ropey cosmetic condition) they offered me 200 quid - I held out and got 450 + 180 scrappage in the end.
Gary !

:idea: Before you get into loggerheads with the third party's insurer's (presumably you/your dad's informed his insurer) I'd print off the stat's from 'How-many left' website and stress of your dads distress over his 'Pride and joy' rather than being fobbed off with the usual 'It's only an old Citroen BX' !

The links :- GTi HURRICANE and TZD TURBO HURRICANE !

I hope this maybe of help ?

:)

Defender110
Over 2k
My Cars: Land Rover Discovery Series 1 200tdi 3 door
Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5
2020 Fiat Panda cross 4x4 twin air.

Post by Defender110 »

Rich
How rare they are won't really help unless he actually insured it as a rare car with greater value than listed. Although I must agree; never accept the first offer. i've never heard of an insurance company not increasing an offer that was initiallly refused.
Kevan
1997 Mercedes C230 W202
2003 Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5 - Daily driver / hobby days and camping.
1993 Land Rover Discovery 200tdi Series 1 3 door - in need of TLC
2020 Fiat Panda 4x4 Cross Twin Air.
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

Very sad. She deserves to have the book thrown at her... someone could have been hurt or worse.

Remember, in a no-fault situation (and I assume she was insured?) nobody can force you to write your car off. Try to get £800 (this is not an unrealistic sum for a GTi) off her insurers and retain salvage.
• 1992 Citroen BX TZD Turbo Hurricane
• 2006 Xsara Picasso 1.6 16v
RxBX
Over 2k

Post by RxBX »

Defender110 wrote:Rich
How rare they are won't really help unless he actually insured it as a rare car with greater value than listed. Although I must agree; never accept the first offer. i've never heard of an insurance company not increasing an offer that was initiallly refused.
Kevan !
I know all that /\ :roll:, I'm not bloody thick !

I'm an old timer as this scenario, having had my XM hit/damaged twice in the last 7 years (Not my fault) and also I had the tosser's (Insurance Assessors) try to write it off on a Cat. 'C' with a derisory offer and on BOTH occasions I had the Cat. 'C' down graded to a Cat. 'D' and ONLY settled after their third or forth cash offer (Including retention of the vehicle) !

I NEVER give in, when my XM was involved in the accident on the first occasion it was with a uninsured driver !

I ended up taking my insurance company to the 'Insurance Ombudsman' to get a satisfactory result (Which then was the forth offer in effect on that occasion) to get the final settlement, albeit took approx. 18 months to re-solve !

:D
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

That's very sad indeed. Same sort of thing that happened to my estate before its lay up. Upsets me that some people still think it's acceptable to drive around while drunk.
Defender110
Over 2k
My Cars: Land Rover Discovery Series 1 200tdi 3 door
Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5
2020 Fiat Panda cross 4x4 twin air.

Post by Defender110 »

Yes this is what worries me the most about BX ownership, we can all be enthusiasts and do everything we can to maintain our pride and joy. Like many I have built up a stock of parts that may be needed in the future and become no longer available. I maintain them both mechanically and bodily to the best possible standards so I can keep my 2 cars running as long as possible but we can't do anything to prevent this from happening. Poor Phil had his GTI battered 2 years running in the snow through no fault of his own. Me and mine use both my cars as regular drivers but I've never been through the stage where I think they are an old car so any damege doesn't matter, they are both very valuable to me and supermarket scratches p-ss me off just as much as the man in his Lambo or Ferrari. If either of my cars get's written off I can't go out and just buy a replacement in the same conditioon , low mileage and looked after the way i've looked after mine for me. :( :roll: rant over!
Kevan
1997 Mercedes C230 W202
2003 Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5 - Daily driver / hobby days and camping.
1993 Land Rover Discovery 200tdi Series 1 3 door - in need of TLC
2020 Fiat Panda 4x4 Cross Twin Air.
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

OUCH!

Thats a mess, uber rare being a GTi Hurricane too, its mendable, but probably not cost effective to so if you can get the bits. I wonder if her insurance will pay out as she was drunk?

Glad noone was hurt.

If you need any help with the value of the car from the Citroen Car Club, let me know
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

Roverman wrote:If you need any help with the value of the car from the Citroën Car Club, let me know
I don't think the Club gives valuations post-accident :?
• 1992 Citroen BX TZD Turbo Hurricane
• 2006 Xsara Picasso 1.6 16v
Paul296
Over 2k
My Cars: Citroen BX 17 TZD Hurricane
Citroen BX 17 TGD

Post by Paul296 »

I'd still play the 'rare and irreplacable pride and joy' card. It worked for me and more to the point - it's true.
BX Meteor
BXpert

Post by BX Meteor »

And/or take her to small claims court if her insurers don't play ball
kiwi
Over 2k

Post by kiwi »

Do agreed value insurances exist in the UK yet? In some ways that saves a lot of value but as I recently found trying to insure my fleet you get some really contradicting values as well. But with agreed at least you know thats the minimum to be paid out.
1991 BX19 TZS 04/01/91 (Deceased)
1990 BX19 TRS 27/10/89 (Reborn)
1992 BX19 TXD (Ex UK - K 744 SDF) 15/06/92
1990 BX19 TZS Auto 06/11/1989
1992 BX TZD Turbo Estate (Ex UK) 1/07/91
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

kiwi wrote:Do agreed value insurances exist in the UK yet? In some ways that saves a lot of value but as I recently found trying to insure my fleet you get some really contradicting values as well. But with agreed at least you know thats the minimum to be paid out.
They do. I think they laughed when I told them what I valued my estate at... (don't think they normally deal in such low numbers!)