Mk1 BX 19RD Estate RHD! A new home

A place for us to show off our cars in all their glory. Please keep picture sizes to about 800x600 pixels.
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

I wouldn't get your hopes up Andy. My plan is to NEVER make this car immaculate again. It wears its years very obviously, so my plan is to get it rot-free and fully functioning. No idea what I'm going to do about paintwork. I love the look of it, but how to maintain that look?
citsncycles
Over 2k

Post by citsncycles »

It may be worth looking at the rat look scene, they love keeping something looking like this when whey aren't attacking panels with a grinder in a poor attempt to age them. I believe one method used is to spray a clear lacquer over everything, effectively sealing up the imperfections and at least slowing the decay. With some of my old bikes, they get a wipe over with an oily rag to keep them protected, although as they spend most of their lives indoors keeping the weather off is less of an issue.

I'd have loved to have left the GS in the condition I got it in, but the decay in the doors and some other panels, together with the fact that it lives outside meant that I decided I had to do something to keep it on the road long term. On the other hand, when I've finished it my 2CV will look like a project someone is about to start 8)
Mike Sims
BX 19RD Estate Mk1 - Timex!
BX 4X4 Estate - Oh god, I've done it again!
BX 17RD MK1 - it called to me!
BX14 TGE, - SOLD
XM Turbo SD,GS Club Estate,Visa 17D Leader,HY Pickup,Dyane Nomad,Dyane 6,2CV AZL,Falcon S,Trabant P50,3x Land Rovers (88" series 1,109" series 2a FFR,series 2a Marshall ambulance),DKW F7, Lambretta LD150 x 1.5,Mobylette SP93,Ural Cossack,Ural M63,CZ 250 Sport,Honda Varadero 125,lots of bicycles & tricycles including (but not only) Sunbeams,Higgins & Bates!
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

Not a bad plan Mike.

Changed the fuel filter today. The housing and filter were very icky.

Net result? Not actually much difference. Still feels a touch hesitant when giving it the beans. Went a bit radical and lobbed £6 worth of petrol in before filling with diesel. It felt a little better on the way home.

The tickover still seems a little low though. Seem to recall we meddled with that when we collected it as after a 3 year sleep, it was a little reluctant to tickover properly.

Still having starting issues from cold as well. Huge clouds of smoke and heavy misfiring, even after three or four bursts of glow plug. I suspect the plugs have had it. Pretty sure I ended up swapping a set last winter - not exactly fun. How can something so visible be such a pain in the arse to access?!

I did wonder if there might be an air leak on the induction side of things. I imagine that'd give some of the symptoms I've been having. Any obvious places to check? Starting when hot, or even when left for a few hours, is always instant.
Mothman

Post by Mothman »

Well Ian,

since i did the job on Sophie by replacing the entire fuel filter system she runs so much better. I wonder as you said that there might be air getting into the fuel supply?

Having fixed the problem she is such a different motor to drive.

Wonder if you could bypass the system temporarily to prove it one way or another?

All the bits are getting old now, rubber pipes, washers and diaphrams etc, could be just a simple fix.

Just keep her on the road bud, as best you can. As is what i intend with Sophie, not going to run a concours motor.
Good luck bud.

Andy
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

Sodding weather. It was nice and dry today, so I risked a drive to the next village in the BX. I've not been driving it much lately because the wiper is doing a good job of wiping the plastic trim at the base of the windscreen. Thanks to Royal Fail, a replacement wiper linkage is currently stuck somewhere in the ether.

Typically, it started raining before I set off back home. Wipe THUMP wipe THUMP. Irritating. Also, there's a pronounced wheel wobble when turning right and hitting a bump. I suspect this is the duff track rod end that Mat spotted last time we got the spanners out.

Driving the BX is still rather too much like driving a convertible. Wind howls in all over the place! It should hopefully be going in for much-needed welding and a replacement tailgate next week. A set of doors is next on the agenda, especially as the passenger one no longer likes opening...
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

BX is going in for welding on Friday. Should mean it can spend the festive period under cover, which is nice. That's if I can get it to start. Hopefully the new glow plugs will arrive before then...
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

The BX has gone in for work. A truly horrible, wet day that saw me fitting new glow plugs in the pouring rain. I did the two easiest ones (middle pair) and decided I'd had enough of that for a game of soldiers! It now at least starts first time, albeit in a rather smoky manner.

Looking forward to getting it back, but there's a hell of a lot to do. I've decided it's definitely down on power. It even sounds slightly strained just revving it in neutral. Not sure what to do next to try and find the fault. It's had new fuel filter and a cleaned air filter. Could it be gummed up injectors? An air leak?

Plenty of time to think of possible things before I get it back in early Jan!
richardd1652
1K Away

Post by richardd1652 »

Really looking forward to the "big" meets next year as i hope there will be a really good turnout of Mk1,s.
Think yours looks brilliant as it is but like youve already said, how to keep her from deteriorating if she sleeps outside.
Richard.
1985 MK1 BX Digit
1986 MK1 BX Leader
1988 19RD
1983 Tin Snail
Defender110
Over 2k
My Cars: Land Rover Discovery Series 1 200tdi 3 door
Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5
2020 Fiat Panda cross 4x4 twin air.

Post by Defender110 »

Dollywobbler wrote: I've decided it's definitely down on power. It even sounds slightly strained just revving it in neutral. Not sure what to do next to try and find the fault. It's had new fuel filter and a cleaned air filter. Could it be gummed up injectors? An air leak?

Plenty of time to think of possible things before I get it back in early Jan!
Have you checked the throttle is fully opening, the cables stretch over the years and need re-adjusting. When you put the pedal fully down (without the engine running) check that the throttle lever on the pump is fully opening to it's maximum throttle stop screw.
Kevan
1997 Mercedes C230 W202
2003 Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5 - Daily driver / hobby days and camping.
1993 Land Rover Discovery 200tdi Series 1 3 door - in need of TLC
2020 Fiat Panda 4x4 Cross Twin Air.
ken newbold
Over 2k

Post by ken newbold »

If you are not getting full throttle, it could well be the pedal box has cracked.

Does the pedal look to be in the right position or, does it look a bit to the right?
They think it's all over, it is now!
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

I don't think it's a throttle position. Even holding the revs at about 3000rpm (no rev counter) it sounds hesitant. It can't be that bad as I've had an indicated 75 out of it. I do always seem to have my foot mashed to the floor though, and I don't recall my old one being like that. I met The Green Tiger briefly yesterday - I should have asked for quick reminder spin!
robt
Confirmed BX'er

Post by robt »

Maybe bung in some injector cleaner Ian, that might help. And take it for a blast :)
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

Apparently, I might get this back tomorrow!

LH inner wing with the rot cut out.

Much less dented than before, but still pretty dented!

Yeah, one of those 'hen's teeth' rear wings would be handy! This will be tackled at the next welding session hopefully.
Mothman

Post by Mothman »

Looks like a good job being done bud.

Will keep her on the road for a good many more years.

Well done.

Andy
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

Keep it up mate, I have the 2 ns doors, seats and even some wheetrims for you!
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....