Mk1 BX 19RD Estate RHD! A new home

A place for us to show off our cars in all their glory. Please keep picture sizes to about 800x600 pixels.
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

Replacement housing received. Thanks Andy! Now just need the rain to stop so I can fit it...
Mothman

Post by Mothman »

Its stopped here, lovely day in fact after yesterday's wind. Even given Sophie a run out.

Andy
Mickey taker
Over 2k

Post by Mickey taker »

hope the weathers stays good for Sunday :lol:
1991 BX Meteor 1.6

light travels faster than sound, thats why you look intelligent and then you spoil it all by opening your mouth !!!!!
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

When temperatures plummet and darkness draws in, there's only one man who shrugs off the cold, dons his head-torch and gets stuck into fixing the worst BX known to man. The name of that man? Mat Fenwick. What a hero!

Mat came along to our little 2CV jaunt in North Wales today, but then came back to mine for a spell of tinkering on the BX shed of dread. I'd warned Mat that at the very least it would be dark by the time we got back, but the ice on the vehicles suggested it was comfortably below zero degrees too. I was all prepared to hug the stove and drink tea, but no. Mat gets down to business!

The main task was to try the regulator ball bearing trick - something neither of us had ever attempted. The BX was driven up on ramps (interesting to do in the dark with the windows iced up!) and after various dismantling, the ball was given a gentle tap. Result? Tick time has gone up considerably (with raised revs), though the pump is still running continuously on tick-over. Conclusion? Pump borked or filters gunged up - this diagnosis also relates to the intermittent power steering.

That was the main task, so I would quite happily have ended it there, but no. I was kept from my tea by Mat's desire to change the wiper motor. Oh, and the remaining two glow plugs. And have you seen how badly this breather pipe fits? Result? Better starting (hopefully) and a wiper that no longer thwacks the bodywork.

Tea time? Er, no. Because now Mat wanted to tackle the tailgate wiring. The bloke who did the welding hadn't the time to connect everything back up again, especially after discovering the joys of French wiring. Mat was up for the challenge. Result? Number plates and central locking work, HRW proved problematic and then frostbite and the need for dinner meant we decide to abort.

Thanks once again Mat. I'll get some pictures up later. Once I've defrosted my camera. And my fingers.
MULLEY
Over 2k
My Cars: 1999 Xsara LX 2.0HDI (90) Hatch - Fern
2002 C5 2.0 HDI (110) Estate - Jasmine - SORN
2011 Mini Cooper D Clubman - SOLD
2016 Mercedes A180D Sport - Auto refinement
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - SORN
1992 TZD Turbo Estate - SORN
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired - SORN
1990 Gti 8Valve SOLD - looks like it's been scrapped
2002 Mini Cooper S - SOLD - i miss this car
1992 TXD - Scrapped in March 2014
1988 CX 25 GTI Turbo2 - SORN
1996 - AX Memphis 1.5D - Dream - SORN

Post by MULLEY »

I'll nominate Mat for BX Hero for January, well done mate. I can testify to Mat's commitment to getting work done when he gave me a hand a few years ago with my TZD, from memory it was a long day & he'd had to drive all the way from Wales to Chesterfield & then onto the citroen meet further down south that very same day.
2002 C5 2.0 HDI Estate - Jasmine - Now SORN
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - My daily
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired.

I'm not just a username, i'm also called Matthew.
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

Any day without rain is a perfect chance to get some work done, that's all...
Think I've twigged what might be going on with the HRW wiring, it dawned on me on the way home. Will elaborate later but a road trip beckons now!

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

Inspired by 'Workaholic' Fenwick, I had a go at solving the juddery steering today. Off came the reservoir and despite the freshness of the LHM, I chucked it away and put some new in.

First of all, out came the reservoir. The large filter housing was floating around in there.

Mucky

What really concerned me is that I found something that looked awfully like a bit of latex glove in the high pressure feed pipe. I pulled it out, but wonder if this is related to the sudden onset of iffy steering...

Cleaned everything out, put it back with fresh LHM and eventually, up she rose. Sadly, the steering issues remain and she still won't rise without revs. Pump is looking like the main suspect then!

In other news, she's been misfiring and generally pulling badly. Still seems like a fuel delivery issue to me as if I accelerate, she just seems to run out of breath as the revs rise. Same happens on hills with my foot down and occasionally there's a misfire at speed. Runs very sweetly when on part throttle.
MULLEY
Over 2k
My Cars: 1999 Xsara LX 2.0HDI (90) Hatch - Fern
2002 C5 2.0 HDI (110) Estate - Jasmine - SORN
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - SORN
1992 TZD Turbo Estate - SORN
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired - SORN

Post by MULLEY »

The filters look pretty grubby to me, was there much muck in the bottom of the lhm tank underneath the white plastic disc?
2002 C5 2.0 HDI Estate - Jasmine - Now SORN
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - My daily
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired.

I'm not just a username, i'm also called Matthew.
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

It was pretty grim. The filters have been cleaned out and while they are still black, you can see through them now!
citsncycles
Over 2k

Post by citsncycles »

Is the fuel feed from the tank heated by the exhaust manifold? If so, try bypassing this section with some rubber fuel pipe - it did wonders for the 19RD I owned, but took months to track down. The metal section in question had pinholed, which meant poor starting from cold, and loss of power at high loads because as it sucked air into the system. It wasn't a big problem at first but got progressively worse and worse until it was barely driveable.
Mike Sims
BX 19RD Estate Mk1 - Timex!
BX 4X4 Estate - Oh god, I've done it again!
BX 17RD MK1 - it called to me!
BX14 TGE, - SOLD
XM Turbo SD,GS Club Estate,Visa 17D Leader,HY Pickup,Dyane Nomad,Dyane 6,2CV AZL,Falcon S,Trabant P50,3x Land Rovers (88" series 1,109" series 2a FFR,series 2a Marshall ambulance),DKW F7, Lambretta LD150 x 1.5,Mobylette SP93,Ural Cossack,Ural M63,CZ 250 Sport,Honda Varadero 125,lots of bicycles & tricycles including (but not only) Sunbeams,Higgins & Bates!
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

Ah, you're not the first person to mention that thinking about it. Shame I forgot when it was light earlier...

A chap on Autoshite mentioned that some XUDs heat the fuel off the water pump? Don't think mine does, as I've replaced the water pump and don't remember anything there. Perhaps it is the exhaust manifold then. That's not sounding fun to get at - any pointers?

It is indeed getting very hard to start, though with lots of misfiring and blue (!) smoke (the neighbours must love me!). New glow plugs have been fitted to all cylinders now, but while it catches immediately, it soon sinks into the bad running.
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

It's a housing round the back of the block, behind the water pump. Gut feeling says air leak into fuel, temporarily replacing fuel hose with clear tubing would prove/disprove that theory.

Regarding the HRW wiring, what I was left with on the LHS was an earth and a live when HRW on wire from the car, and two wire, each going to one side of the element. As the element is not polarity sensitive, I just connected up the live to one side, and the earth to the other.
This resulted in instant blowing of fuses, which is never ideal. So what I think is happening is that one of the wires to the element is linked to earth by one of the other earth connections to the tailgate. I think I've inadvertently connected that wire to the HRW switched live, giving a dead short when you turn it on! Should be easily sorted....

1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

An air leak certainly fits the bill. Not sure how to access that block. Beneath or take the air intake gubbins off?

Don't worry about the HRW. As I said at the time, it's hardly a priority! 2CV doesn't have one at all, and the Mini and Peugeot 309 have entirely non-working ones. I'm used to living with it!

(oh, and greasing the door handle mechanisms means I can actually get into the BX now! Need a hand to get the passenger door open before sorting that one out as well...)
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

I'd try and prove whether that is the problem first, but access is probably easiest from below. Depending on how much you enjoy laying under the car with bits falling into your eyes, versus stretching your arms down the back of the block to something you can't see...

1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad