Anything about BXs
Defender110
Over 2k
My Cars: Land Rover Discovery Series 1 200tdi 3 door
Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5
2020 Fiat Panda cross 4x4 twin air.

Post by Defender110 »

smiffy1071 wrote:
sdelasal wrote:...it certainly is here in UK. I don't think so - the government will have extracted sufficient tax from you, when you bought the petrol - that's all they will be concerned about £££.
to hell with the government taxation, I was thinking more on an anti-pollution line. Also, adding petrol can cause premature engine and fuel pump wear, because petrol of course has no lubricating properties....
How is adding a small quantity of petrol to diesel illegal in the UK from a anti-polution line? I don't think the very small quantities being talked about here would make any difference to wear as the diesel is still present as a lube?

Matthew; I sniffed spammer too when I first read it :wink:
Last edited by Defender110 on Sat Feb 04, 2012 10:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kevan
1997 Mercedes C230 W202
2003 Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5 - Daily driver / hobby days and camping.
1993 Land Rover Discovery 200tdi Series 1 3 door - in need of TLC
2020 Fiat Panda 4x4 Cross Twin Air.
sdelasal
BXpert

Post by sdelasal »

Apologies, I thought you said 'probably illegal' - The technical advice posted by rmattila is correct. If one wants to go by the (citroen owners hand)book, then one is advised to 'use the additive supplied by Citroen' ;-)
Pigeon

Post by Pigeon »

MULLEY wrote:We've had some idiot(s) on here, that usually just start posting up stuff & haven't done any introductions of who they are, where they are & what car(s) they have. You fitted the profile apologies Pigeon, no offence intended.

Now we need some pictures of your car(s) :D
Any introduction? I wrote that my car was out at -25 degrees C. I have a problem and I asked for help. I told about myself, and I'm not a spammer. A picture of my car you'll get soon, just to cope this procedure.
Thank you very much.
MULLEY
Over 2k
My Cars: 1999 Xsara LX 2.0HDI (90) Hatch - Fern
2002 C5 2.0 HDI (110) Estate - Jasmine - SORN
2011 Mini Cooper D Clubman - SOLD
2016 Mercedes A180D Sport - Auto refinement
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - SORN
1992 TZD Turbo Estate - SORN
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired - SORN
1990 Gti 8Valve SOLD - looks like it's been scrapped
2002 Mini Cooper S - SOLD - i miss this car
1992 TXD - Scrapped in March 2014
1988 CX 25 GTI Turbo2 - SORN
1996 - AX Memphis 1.5D - Dream - SORN

Post by MULLEY »

I've already apologised once & explained why i said what i'd said.

When i meant by introduction i mean the following as an example.

Hello, my name is xxxxx, i come from xxxxx, i've owned citroens for xx years. Here is a picture of my current car & i'll post up some pictures of my old one's.

Not

I've got a problem, can you help.

With the above, unfortunately you can come to one of two conclusions, either the person is a spammer/troll or they are genuine. No way of knowing.

However, you've clearly now given a few more details & even got an avatar, so there you go. Welcome to the club, you could if you are interested put up some details about your car if you want to. My bit about all we need is a picture is kind of a joke on this forum as we are all citroen mad, especially about BX's, & we welcome new members worldwide & look forward to making new friends & sharing hints & tips on all aspects of BX's, & stories of owning one.

Hope thats ok?
2002 C5 2.0 HDI Estate - Jasmine - Now SORN
2011 Mini Cooper D Clubman - SOLD
2016 Mercedes A180D Sport - Auto refinement
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - My daily
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired.
1990 Gti 8Valve SOLD - looks like it's been scrapped
2002 Mini Cooper S - SOLD - i miss this car
1992 TXD - Scrapped in March 2014
1988 CX 25 GTI Turbo2 - SORN
1996 - AX Memphis 1.5D - Dream - SORN

I'm not just a username, i'm also called Matthew.
sdelasal
BXpert

Post by sdelasal »

hey, welcome Pigeon. I was wondering where in UK would be at -25'C - Your location in Belgrade explains that one. Are those temperatures extreme for Belgrade? I would have thought the fuel would be 'winter grade' to cope with the temperatures.
Pigeon

Post by Pigeon »

sdelasal wrote:hey, welcome Pigeon. I was wondering where in UK would be at -25'C - Your location in Belgrade explains that one. Are those temperatures extreme for Belgrade? I would have thought the fuel would be 'winter grade' to cope with the temperatures.
Thank you sdelasal. :)
These low temperatures are not common here, but this winter is very cold. Artic conditions affecting our air (don't know how), and making a real big problems to everyone.
Also, our regulations are not as rigorous as in UK, so there are not some differences between "winter & summer diesel".
Apparently, I'll have to wait 10-15 days, according to weathercast, so I could endjoy my BX. 8)
Pigeon

Post by Pigeon »

Grenman wrote:Hi, dont think you can do anything as diesel goes lumpy at -9 C i believe.
I would suggest when it warms up again you add some petrol at i think 13 to one ratio. Also hope you have plenty of antifreeze in your rad.

good luck,

Andy
Thank you Andy, apparently I'll have to wait.
tim
BXpert
My Cars: 2 1992 BX TXD estates

Post by tim »

I used to run a diesel LandRover 2a. It froze up on me twice in 86/87, it didn't cut out completely but was coughing like buggery; and this was with a hot engine. I remember back then that the fuel companies were claiming they'd solved the freezing problem, but seeing lorries on the roadside in mid journey told me that it was bollocks.
The question we all need to know - are all fuel companies the same? The local fuel station has just been bought by a bunch called 'Applegreen' who are apparently big in Ireland but I'd never heard of them. Does the fuel they buy in have the same qualities as, say, the Shell product that used to be there? I have heard some odd stories about the quality of fuel supplied to the supermarkets in the past; do smaller companies have the same buying power (or interest in quality) that the big boys have?
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

Perhaps buy a couple of litres of each, and pop a sample from each supplier into the freezer to see if there's any difference in flow? At the start of the season, I'd expect a smaller station with a slow turnover of fuel to be later to change over to winter grade diesel, but that's just speculation on my part.

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
Mothman

Post by Mothman »

tim wrote:I used to run a diesel LandRover 2a. It froze up on me twice in 86/87, it didn't cut out completely but was coughing like buggery; and this was with a hot engine. I remember back then that the fuel companies were claiming they'd solved the freezing problem, but seeing lorries on the roadside in mid journey told me that it was bollocks.
The question we all need to know - are all fuel companies the same? The local fuel station has just been bought by a bunch called 'Applegreen' who are apparently big in Ireland but I'd never heard of them. Does the fuel they buy in have the same qualities as, say, the Shell product that used to be there? I have heard some odd stories about the quality of fuel supplied to the supermarkets in the past; do smaller companies have the same buying power (or interest in quality) that the big boys have?
Tim,

ive already heard some sad stories about the 'new' fuel supplier in Wadhurst, 2 cases of too much water in the diesel causing engine problems, so far both my Mitsi and the BXs are still running.

Andy
Mothman

Post by Mothman »

mat_fenwick wrote:Perhaps buy a couple of litres of each, and pop a sample from each supplier into the freezer to see if there's any difference in flow? At the start of the season, I'd expect a smaller station with a slow turnover of fuel to be later to change over to winter grade diesel, but that's just speculation on my part.
Yucko Mat,

bugger that putting diesel in my fridge, not enough room anyway, full of cider and a little food.

Andy