Mat's BX Blog

Tell us about life with your BX, or indeed life in general!
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

So far so good, but only tested it up to 800w load. The transistors in question are on the output side so will 'only' see about 5A current. They're rated for 10A @ 400V, so should be OK for continuous use, well, as continuous as it's likely to be from a 12V battery!

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
Mike E (uk)
1K Away

Post by Mike E (uk) »

Some other semiconductors are switching the input current then.

I was thinking of the dissipation at those big currents and the heatsinking required as the whole assembly looks quite small.

But modern power devices can be very efficient.

or is it fan cooled?

Mike
la BX 16 soupapes: sachez apprecier avec moderation.

It might be clever now, but it won't be in the morning!
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

It is fan cooled, but the fan only operates when the output power consumed is over maybe 150w. I guess that is to improve overall efficiency for small outputs. I don't really understand how it works TBH - there are 4 sets of transformer windings fairly close to the input end of the circuit, but what changes the DC to (some approximation of) an AC signal to feed the transformers? The output signal is a fairly square wave, with an off period inbetween positive and negative peaks.

The transistors are all clamped to the case (but need to be electrically isolated as I found out when I at first just used thermal grease - triggered the short circuit protection!) The case doesn't seem to get excessively warm, but not run it at high load for long periods.

1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

What is it with people and being overtaken? There aren't that many overtaking opportunities in the hills, so if I'm stuck behind someone and there is a safe chance to get past then I will - what gets me is the seeming resentment at being overtaken, and refusing to dip their lights. If I flash my rear foglights at them they don't do anything, so it can't be that they have forgotten!

Fortunately I have this (a Hella worklight) on the back, so a quick burst of that soon makes then see sense.

1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

It's quite funny when I'm driving the minibuses with a load of old ladies on board. Every time someone overtakes us (which happens quite a lot - I do stick to the 50mph maximum I'm allowed on single-carriageway) there are tuts of derision! If only the saw the way I drive normally...

I doubt flashing your foglights would be even slightly noticable to be honest. BX estate fog lights are piss poor and just look like brake lights anyway. They certainly don't strip retinas like some fog lights do.
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

But I bet that Hella knackers their night vision :lol:
• 1992 Citroen BX TZD Turbo Hurricane
• 2006 Xsara Picasso 1.6 16v
Mike E (uk)
1K Away

Post by Mike E (uk) »

I find many drivers have completely lost the ability to overtake anything beyond a bicycle.

When stuck behind the Rover 25 doing 40mph in a 60, they just follow it along like a sheep.

Mike

MULLEY
Over 2k
My Cars: 1999 Xsara LX 2.0HDI (90) Hatch - Fern
2002 C5 2.0 HDI (110) Estate - Jasmine - SORN
2011 Mini Cooper D Clubman - SOLD
2016 Mercedes A180D Sport - Auto refinement
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - SORN
1992 TZD Turbo Estate - SORN
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired - SORN
1990 Gti 8Valve SOLD - looks like it's been scrapped
2002 Mini Cooper S - SOLD - i miss this car
1992 TXD - Scrapped in March 2014
1988 CX 25 GTI Turbo2 - SORN
1996 - AX Memphis 1.5D - Dream - SORN

Post by MULLEY »

I regularly overtake slow buxxers in my TXD :shock: I know, my old slow n/a diesel. I've also noticed that over the last couple of years that speed limits on various roads near to me have been reduced, so instead of being able to do 40, you have to do 30 & 60 roads are now 50. This wouldn't annoy me too much, except now all these same idiots that never even went to the speed limit when they were higher, are doing the exact same thing with the lower speed limits :x

Yes, some deliberatly decide to speed up, fuxxing dangerous, i just indicate to show that i'm pulling back in & cut them up, they soon get the msg that i'm not taking any of their idiocy. They of course then decide to tailgate, so i just let them get on with it & ignore them, they never overtake though :lol:

Rant over :wink:
2002 C5 2.0 HDI Estate - Jasmine - Now SORN
2011 Mini Cooper D Clubman - SOLD
2016 Mercedes A180D Sport - Auto refinement
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - My daily
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired.
1990 Gti 8Valve SOLD - looks like it's been scrapped
2002 Mini Cooper S - SOLD - i miss this car
1992 TXD - Scrapped in March 2014
1988 CX 25 GTI Turbo2 - SORN
1996 - AX Memphis 1.5D - Dream - SORN

I'm not just a username, i'm also called Matthew.
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

Dollywobbler wrote:I doubt flashing your foglights would be even slightly noticable to be honest.
True, but if someone approaches you from behind, it's a fair bet they are going to overtake when it becomes clear, and me moving alongside (not exactly whizzing past!) should give them ample warning for them to dip their lights.
I don't really want to 'retaliate' against anyone, but I find main beam behind me very distracting, even if tilting the interior mirror. I suppose a fog light that's not part of the main cluster might attract their attention more, but sometimes I really do despair.

1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
electrokid
1K Away

Post by electrokid »

They're rated for 10A @ 400V,
Normally at 25°C then, depending on the structure / manufacturer, linearly derated to 0A at either 150 or 200°C. So at the sort of temperatures it's going to run at on full load it'll be down to around 5A per device max.

Good to see it's working again :-)
1992 BX19 TGD estate 228K Rusty - SORNed
2002 C5 HDi SX estate
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

And the next thing to fail is the hard drive on my laptop :( Clicked on a Youtube video, everything locked up and I then got a "Windows has been shut down to protect your computer" message on a nice blue screen. Then wouldn't boot at all, and when adding the drive to another machine it wasn't recognised.

Fortunately I'd backed it up the day before (I try and do it every few weeks), and managed to find an old 5Gb drive to temporarily get me going again. It's bizarre that 5Gb is just about enough for an OS and a few applications!

Can't find anything smaller than 160Gb now, I'll never fill all that...

In other news, people keep bringing me things for me to mend! Today it has been an electric drill (now fixed :) ) and I've got someone wanting the heater motor sorted on their Focus. The garage has quoted for a full dashboard out job, which they can't afford but a quick bit of research suggests you can leave the dash in.

I'm half thinking of trying to make a job of it, if I can put the word out a bit more than to just our immediate neighbours I might be able to bring in a bit of money and give up the 9 to 6 job. Mobile mechanic and general handyman perhaps?

1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
Defender110
Over 2k
My Cars: Land Rover Discovery Series 1 200tdi 3 door
Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5
2020 Fiat Panda cross 4x4 twin air.

Post by Defender110 »

mat_fenwick wrote:I'm half thinking of trying to make a job of it, if I can put the word out a bit more than to just our immediate neighbours I might be able to bring in a bit of money and give up the 9 to 6 job. Mobile mechanic and general handyman perhaps?
You'll find they are less inclined to bring you things once you start charging them the sort of money you need to actually make a living out of doing it!

p.s. I'm still pondering on the Kenlow Hotstart, I don't actually use it anymore and can't envisage a need for it now I have a large garage / workshop but it is like new and I need to make sure in my head that I won't need it again in the future before letting it go.
Kevan
1997 Mercedes C230 W202
2003 Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5 - Daily driver / hobby days and camping.
1993 Land Rover Discovery 200tdi Series 1 3 door - in need of TLC
2020 Fiat Panda 4x4 Cross Twin Air.
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

Defender110 wrote: You'll find they are less inclined to bring you things once you start charging them the sort of money you need to actually make a living out of doing it!
:lol: You're probably right! At the moment I don't actually ask for any payment, but people always insist on something. Sometimes it's favours for favours which can work well, but not to make a living from. I think it would really depend on Lana's job security before I could make any decisions.

1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
Mike E (uk)
1K Away

Post by Mike E (uk) »

I used to fix a few things for people at work, but fortunately most electrical thingys are now so cheap that people just buy new.

Being a mobile mechanic is a hard way to earn a living, especially in the winter.

Household repairs are becoming more limited because of the legislation regarding electrical wiring etc, but that is still a viable career.

Everyone I know who is self employed, gets almost no holiday and works very long hours.

Mike

Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

Mike E (uk) wrote: Being a mobile mechanic is a hard way to earn a living, especially in the winter.
Yes but this is Mat we're on about. He seems to really enjoy working on cars while there is ice forming on them! Strange lad...

...though I'm very grateful!