Mk1 BX 19RD Estate RHD! A new home

A place for us to show off our cars in all their glory. Please keep picture sizes to about 800x600 pixels.
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

Another 360 miles covered after a trip to Abingdon today. Again, she soldiered on despite her various woes. The water coming in through the side window was quite annoying. Must get those seals replaced!

All sorts of terrain encountered today. Single-track country lanes, fast A roads, dual carriageway and green laning!

My sat nav really does have a thing for scenic routes...
Jon Sanderson
Confirmed BX'er

Post by Jon Sanderson »

Really enjoying hearing about your progress with this car, although I have to say you're a lot braver than me!!

Sounds like she's a real trooper though :D
1991 Citroen BX 19TGD
1989 Volvo 740
1987 Citroen 2cv6 Special
1990 Peugeot 205 Roland Garros
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

I am pretty impressed with her. She's a bit like the knight in Monty Python's Holy Grail. Bits fall off, things don't work but she somehow keeps plodding on. "T'is a mere flesh wound!"

The to do list keeps growing of course. I fear I may have broken one of the headlamp mountings when I fitted a better headlamp last night. The main beams seem to cross! The mountain road was pretty tricky in the rain and fog as it was, without the car going all cross-eyed.

The pump is still cutting in every few seconds, so I guess a new accumulator needs to be tried. The suspension spheres need changing as well, as the ride is getting bad. The steering did the 'intermittent assistance' thing again first thing too. And it still needs a track rod end. And steering rack gaiters. And something doing about the oil leaks. And some tailgate wiring still needs to happen. And the light switch keeps jamming. And the doors still need changing. And I think there's still an air leak on the fuel system. And the seats need changing once I've sorted out the water leaks. And the front inner wheelarches need welding. Then there's the A posts/windscreen surround, the holes above the windscreen, the floors...

I find it best not to think about it all at once!
Mothman

Post by Mothman »

Yeah but she is going bud with an MOT too so you must be proud of that!!.

Still havnt sorted the door rubbers, remind me which side and i deffo will do it tomorrow.

Andy
citsncycles
Over 2k

Post by citsncycles »

Keep plodding and you'll get there. My GS was similar when I got it, MOT'd but with a huge 'to do' list, but it's been on the road for at least 3 of the last 4 years, including trips to Europe, covering 26k so far in my hands, and I keep repairing bits when I have time and replacing other bits as I find them. I keep going because it would be difficult to find another, and I believe my combination of model, year and colour may be unique!
Mike Sims
BX 19RD Estate Mk1 - Timex!
BX 4X4 Estate - Oh god, I've done it again!
BX 17RD MK1 - it called to me!
BX14 TGE, - SOLD
XM Turbo SD,GS Club Estate,Visa 17D Leader,HY Pickup,Dyane Nomad,Dyane 6,2CV AZL,Falcon S,Trabant P50,3x Land Rovers (88" series 1,109" series 2a FFR,series 2a Marshall ambulance),DKW F7, Lambretta LD150 x 1.5,Mobylette SP93,Ural Cossack,Ural M63,CZ 250 Sport,Honda Varadero 125,lots of bicycles & tricycles including (but not only) Sunbeams,Higgins & Bates!
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

Grenman wrote:Yeah but she is going bud with an MOT too so you must be proud of that!!.

Still havnt sorted the door rubbers, remind me which side and i deffo will do it tomorrow.

Andy
Driver's door is most urgent. Cheers.
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

Thanks to Grenman, the BX has a new driver's door seal. Now I just need some rain to see if it keeps the water out, though I don't mind if I have to wait a while to prove that!

It's been gloriously sunny today, so a good chance to get the BX out of the garage, fit the seal and try and dry the carpets out...

Also painted the boot floor with black Rustoleum. Not strictly a standard finish, but I needed to put something on it. Does anyone have a spare estate boot floor carpet/thing? It didn't come with one.
Mothman

Post by Mothman »

Hi Ian,

i think i have a floor carpet but i think its for a later MK 2, not a MK1 and is of the cloth sort. i think it should have a plastic on like my TGS.
Maybe you should ask the experts what type it should have.

Andy
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

I shall await some expert advice! As it didn't have one, I've no idea what it should have. Maybe Todd can advise?
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

Never seen any BX without boot carpet fitted, even on the most basic, The Mk1 hatches always had carpet too, so its probably been removed.
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

You can't make it out from this photo

but I seem to remember it had a vinyl floor covering with rubbing strips. I have a spare carpet if you like? May lose you marks for originality in the concours, but I assume that's not a big issue....

NB I did manage a 20 mile trip like that!

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

My last one had the vinyl floor with rubbing strips. I think that's what I'd like if I can track one down. No desperate rush, but I imagine it'd quieten things down a bit!
Mothman

Post by Mothman »

Roverman wrote:Never seen any BX without boot carpet fitted, even on the most basic, The Mk1 hatches always had carpet too, so its probably been removed.
Tim,

my TGS dosnt have a carpet, only a vinyl covering with rubbing strips and it loooks original so i dont think they all had carpets. Ive put one over the top to protect it.

Andy
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

Ahh well you learn something new everyday, wonder if I am thinking about the TZD Turbo I had (green hornet) which may of had carpet. Rubber mating makes more sense though!.
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

Aye. It's ideal flooring for an estate. Unlike the beige carpet that was fitted to a Rover 75 I owned last year. What a stupid idea!