Are BX brakes TOO good?

Anything about BXs
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Are BX brakes TOO good?

Post by Dollywobbler »

I ask this after coming very, very close to smashing my super-rare BX estate into a Merc Sprinter on a tiny mountain road. My fault entirely - too much hoon - and it was only cadence braking (ie manual ABS) that allowed me to bring the BX to a somewhat skiddy halt with milimetres to spare. I really did think I was going to hit it.

What struck me is that in the heat of the moment, it's very, very difficult to moderate brake pedal pressure to find that sweet point that offers maximum braking without locking up. Modern cars can have brakes as sharp as a BX (and Mk1 BX brakes really are sharp) because they have ABS.

S'pose I've demonstrated that despite it's not-100% engine, the BX still can manage too quick! On the plus side, the handbrake is a hell of a lot better now! Tells you something about how much pedal pressure is needed to make it self-adjust.
citronut
Over 2k

Post by citronut »

maybe you have air in your brake system

regards malcolm
curent ride
K reg BX 17TD TZD est
also own
K reg D special

no longer have
H reg CX saffari 2.5 TRI (now gone to Malaysia)
R reg xantia 1.9TD est (gone to meet its maker)
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

The brakes are working fine and as expected Malcolm - they're just very good! Perhaps I'm just too used to the 2CV. Because you need more pedal pressure, it's a lot easier to adjust the pressure to find best braking.
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

Or you could just drive a bit slower! :wink:
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

Pffft! :wink:

Though I will take it easier on that single-track mountain road in future. :oops:
adamskibx
BXpert

Post by adamskibx »

If your used to a 2CV, BX brakes will feel inferior for this kind of situation. I have driven many types of cars, but the one with the most progressive brakes where that "sweet spot" can be found easiest was a Dyane. You could pick a point on the road and know that you can stop before it. I once had a fright in my Dyane when hurtling down a fast windy mountain road, and a T-Junction came out of nowhere. I thought I was a gonna, but the Dyane just stopped.
citsncycles
Over 2k

Post by citsncycles »

I believe that any Citroen with high pressure brakes are too good, but only because of the number that seem to be shunted from behind!
Mike Sims
BX 19RD Estate Mk1 - Timex!
BX 4X4 Estate - Oh god, I've done it again!
BX 17RD MK1 - it called to me!
BX14 TGE, - SOLD
XM Turbo SD,GS Club Estate,Visa 17D Leader,HY Pickup,Dyane Nomad,Dyane 6,2CV AZL,Falcon S,Trabant P50,3x Land Rovers (88" series 1,109" series 2a FFR,series 2a Marshall ambulance),DKW F7, Lambretta LD150 x 1.5,Mobylette SP93,Ural Cossack,Ural M63,CZ 250 Sport,Honda Varadero 125,lots of bicycles & tricycles including (but not only) Sunbeams,Higgins & Bates!
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

Even compared to the modern stuff I drive the BX brakes are impressive, I find the Mk1's to be even sharper. Mind you I dont hoon around single track roads................. :lol:
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
BX Meteor
BXpert

Post by BX Meteor »

Anyone ever tried the "mushroom" brake pedal on a Citroen D :?:
KevR
1K Away
My Cars: It's all in my signature

Post by KevR »

I generally agree that the BX brakes are hard to modulate and the 2CV's non-servo brakes offer a more linear feel but it's not just about the brakes... I've found the BX fronts are far more inclined to lock up when the struts are a bit sticky and/or the spheres are past their best - basically instead of the front of the car dipping and transferring weight onto the front contact patch, the suspension doesn't compress and the weight is acting to push the tyres along the tarmac. Especially noticeable when towing a trailer.
1990 BX TZD Estate ('the grey one', 1991 BX TZD Estate ('the white one'), 1982 2CV6 Charleston (in bits), 1972 AZU Serie B (2CV van), 1974 HY72 Camper, 1990 Land Rover 110 diesel LWB, 1957 Mobylette AV76, 1992 Ducati 400SS, 1966 VW Beetle, 1990 Mazda MX-5, 1996 Peugeot 106D, 1974 JCB 2D MkII, 1997 BMW R1100RS, 1987 Suzuki GSX-R1100, 1978 Honda CX500A, 1965 Motobecane Cady, 1988 Honda Bros/Africa Twin, 1963 Massey Ferguson 825, and a lot of bicycles!
citronut
Over 2k

Post by citronut »

the only time i find hydraulic citroen brakes to sharp/fearce is when air is in the system,
what happens there is you loose your first braking presure on the pedel, so when you find some brakes it locks every thing up,

regards malcolm
curent ride
K reg BX 17TD TZD est
also own
K reg D special

no longer have
H reg CX saffari 2.5 TRI (now gone to Malaysia)
R reg xantia 1.9TD est (gone to meet its maker)
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

I'm convinced there is nothing wrong with the brakes. They feel like hydraulic Citroen brakes should feel. Lots of stopping power.

Suspension is an interesting call. The spheres are hard and the car has been feeling a bit wayward. Maybe it's time I got them replaced. Well, I know it's time I got them replaced, just waiting for pay day! Full set of spheres including accumulator is my plan.
Mike E (uk)
1K Away

Post by Mike E (uk) »

There's nothing like a near miss to help you wise up a bit.

Predicting the unexpected is what makes for safe driving.

Takes years to learn that, and even then we get it wrong sometimes.

Mike
la BX 16 soupapes: sachez apprecier avec moderation.

It might be clever now, but it won't be in the morning!
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

Thing is, I'm very used to those roads. It was less about learning a lesson and more about the classic inattention. If you drive quickly, you really do need to focus.

Came through the same section in the 2CV today at a much steadier pace, though I did get the back end airborne on a different mountain road section...