Insert witty title here ...

Tell us about life with your BX, or indeed life in general!
ben
Confirmed BX'er

Post by ben »

I was guessing as i didn't get right up close ,but it looks like it could be LHM from where it is. If you're lucky it'll just be one of the return hoses or joints going into the reservoir or what you said and should be a cheap and easy fix .
You can get proper citroen LHM from GSF in Letchworth on Works Road round the corner from halfrauds at probably half the price :)

Good job i saw this thread, i was going to knock the door and ask "how much do you want for that old motor" :lol:
Way2go
Over 2k

Post by Way2go »

ben wrote: You can get proper Citroën LHM from GSF in Letchworth on Works Road round the corner from halfrauds at probably half the price :)
If you buy LHM from halfrauds you'll need to take out a mortgage on something first! :shock: GSF is a good call but also worth ringing up the other local motor factors too as it can be found even at a better price than GSF. :D
1991 BX19GTi Auto
Defender110
Over 2k
My Cars: Land Rover Discovery Series 1 200tdi 3 door
Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5
2020 Fiat Panda cross 4x4 twin air.

Post by Defender110 »

I've bought cheaper LHM in the past and it was very pale green in colour so didn't instill any confidence in it's quality. I always insist on Total LHM now which is still available at GFS and at the very least more asthetically pleasing :)
Kevan
1997 Mercedes C230 W202
2003 Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5 - Daily driver / hobby days and camping.
1993 Land Rover Discovery 200tdi Series 1 3 door - in need of TLC
2020 Fiat Panda 4x4 Cross Twin Air.
Way2go
Over 2k

Post by Way2go »

Defender110 wrote:I've bought cheaper LHM in the past and it was very pale green in colour so didn't instill any confidence in it's quality.
The colour is surely added dye and has nothing to do with the specification of the LHM?

What do you think is unique about Total that other manufacturers cannot produce? :?
1991 BX19GTi Auto
sdelasal
BXpert

Post by sdelasal »

'Total' does sound very french - that might make it unique I suppose, but then I have a can of it with Bendix on the label - and they are french too.

This link, http://www.citroen-ds-id.com/gen/Hydrau ... ids_3.html, has a comment ...

'
Such was the case with LHM and Citroën. Citroën wrote the LHM specifications to meet the requirements of their hydropneumatic suspension, Citromatic, brake, and steering systems. As I understand the story, Citroën worked with Total, the French petrochemical company, to develop the specifications, but after that the specs were available for all oil companies to produce. '

So that makes Total the 'master brewer' then for LHM.
Way2go
Over 2k

Post by Way2go »

The article sums it up nicely with:
Citroën worked with Total, the French petrochemical company, to develop the specifications, but after that the specs were available for all oil companies to produce.
So, unless the spec is deviated from, (in which case it would not be LHM) then other manufacturers LHM is equivalent. :)

Interesting comment in the article about the possibility of Dexron 2 as that is Citroen's fluid of choice for the BX auto transmission. Maybe that is what was the starting point of their design for LHM? While LHM is available though, there is no need to use anything other than LHM but it does not have to be Total. :D
1991 BX19GTi Auto
MULLEY
Over 2k
My Cars: 1999 Xsara LX 2.0HDI (90) Hatch - Fern
2002 C5 2.0 HDI (110) Estate - Jasmine - SORN
2011 Mini Cooper D Clubman - SOLD
2016 Mercedes A180D Sport - Auto refinement
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - SORN
1992 TZD Turbo Estate - SORN
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired - SORN
1990 Gti 8Valve SOLD - looks like it's been scrapped
2002 Mini Cooper S - SOLD - i miss this car
1992 TXD - Scrapped in March 2014
1988 CX 25 GTI Turbo2 - SORN
1996 - AX Memphis 1.5D - Dream - SORN

Post by MULLEY »

I've used Total & Morris, i believe that the morris lhm looks slightly more flourescent green in colour, but if it works i just bung it in tbh 8)
2002 C5 2.0 HDI Estate - Jasmine - Now SORN
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - My daily
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired.

I'm not just a username, i'm also called Matthew.
Way2go
Over 2k

Post by Way2go »

I've used Total, Halfords & Morris. Morris in preference as it's about a third of the price of halfords. Total was even more expensive, don't know about lately though.
1991 BX19GTi Auto
Defender110
Over 2k
My Cars: Land Rover Discovery Series 1 200tdi 3 door
Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5
2020 Fiat Panda cross 4x4 twin air.

Post by Defender110 »

Way2go wrote: What do you think is unique about Total that other manufacturers cannot produce? :?
I didn't say there was anything unique about Total I just said
Defender110 wrote:at the very least more asthetically pleasing.
Kevan
1997 Mercedes C230 W202
2003 Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5 - Daily driver / hobby days and camping.
1993 Land Rover Discovery 200tdi Series 1 3 door - in need of TLC
2020 Fiat Panda 4x4 Cross Twin Air.
Caffiend
Reluctant BXpert

Post by Caffiend »

Well, Rob doesn't think I've bought a citron as opposed to a Citroen, so that's good news.

The bad news is that the sticky steering - which I had put down to the hydraulic fluid still being filthy after emergency oil top up late last year (despite flush/refill at the time) - is in fact driveshafts >.< Rear exhaust mount will also want welding, but hopefully not tooooo much.

Ow.

I'm going over to have a good look underneath tomorrow, and collect the snagging list. A few other bits that will need to be done before September MOT, but hey, it's a 21 year old car, things wear out.

Unfortunately, the link ^^ isn't working for me. However, Rob has suggested that he fills hydraulic system with something else to clean it, then refill with LHM after 1500 miles - that wouldn't be the Dexron 2 (presumably more expensive) by any chance? Should have asked him, will tomorrow now I'm not reeling from driveshaft shock!
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe
1991 TZD hatch (Triton Green)
1992 Hurricane
MULLEY
Over 2k
My Cars: 1999 Xsara LX 2.0HDI (90) Hatch - Fern
2002 C5 2.0 HDI (110) Estate - Jasmine - SORN
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - SORN
1992 TZD Turbo Estate - SORN
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired - SORN

Post by MULLEY »

Dexron is gearbox oil, so no he won't be using that. More likely hydraflush or rmatilla uses diesel (so might be that?), but the Fins do things differently :wink:
2002 C5 2.0 HDI Estate - Jasmine - Now SORN
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - My daily
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired.

I'm not just a username, i'm also called Matthew.
Daisy
BXpert
My Cars: Citroen BX 19TGD 1991 "Daisy" RIP 21/7/2014
Citroen BX 19TGD 1990 "Myrtille "

Post by Daisy »

Hi, had a nosey at your car this afternoon when I took mine over to Robs'.Looks very nice. A grand total of four there today - yours, mine, a white 19tgd estate and a lovely black GTi :D
We also spotted your car in Letchworth last monday, followed a few minutes later by a dark grey estate near the A505/A1M junction (Ben ?).
Hope you will be very happy with your new car :D
All the best

Anne Marie
'90 19TGD 'Olympic Blue' "Myrtille"
'91 19TGD 'Alpine White' 28.02.91-21.07.14 "Daisy" R.I.P
Still on the road - Many thanks to Rob Moss at Chevronics, Hitchin, Herts
Mickey taker
Over 2k

Post by Mickey taker »

nice that theres a few more BX's in the Beds/Bucks area
1991 BX Meteor 1.6

light travels faster than sound, thats why you look intelligent and then you spoil it all by opening your mouth !!!!!
Caffiend
Reluctant BXpert

Post by Caffiend »

OK, so I can run, but I can't hide :lol:

I didn't get over to Rob's until quite late to pick up the green machine (and thanks Anne Marie!). Must make sure I get there earlier next time so I can have a good poke around. I did have a bit of lust over the gorgeous white CX that was parked along the side.

It'll be back over there a few times more before the MOT is due in September I suspect - exhaust weld next up I think.
1992 Hurricane
Caffiend
Reluctant BXpert

Post by Caffiend »

Well, that was annoying ... one of my classmates had a car that kept cutting out, so that was in the workshop last night, not mine. I've got dibs for next week (as an aside, I found it most bizarre that the owner showed no apparent interest in the tutor kindly trying to sort his car out for him but was 'over there' doing ... I dunno what... while the rest of us were clustered round his Honda pointing and laughing at the air filter that was probably the original that came with the - T-reg - car. I shall be truly getting in the way of anyone who tries to do anything to mine! Oh well.)

Really getting used to the TZD again now - driving home last night was a joy, how could I have forgotten how much fun it is that you put your right foot down and it like, goes. Instead of thinking about it before grumpily deciding to grudgingly give you a bit more powah (yes Xsara, I'm looking at YOU). Smitten all over again with that turbo kick, vroom vroom.

I will have to restore the duct tape on the air intake hose that Rob and the crew kindly cleaned up and re-clipped for me - it's still leaking air a bit. Will try for a Pug breaker and if I wasn't up for a 60+ hour week at work on top of college commitments I might have done something more about that :S - really must try to do so this weekend instead of talking crap on here. There'll be more many hours next week, but the overtime will put ticks against several of the 'ADs' on the workshop sheet I got from Chevronics!

V5 (or whatever it is they call the new-fangled War & Peace registration doc) arrived yesterday!
1992 Hurricane