Mk1 BX 19RD Estate RHD! A new home

A place for us to show off our cars in all their glory. Please keep picture sizes to about 800x600 pixels.
Way2go
Over 2k

Post by Way2go »

Blue Haynes, section 10*2*2. :wink:
1991 BX19GTi Auto
Jayboy
BXpert

Post by Jayboy »

Going back a couple of pages... I've got a boot carpet (grey vinyl) which I suspect is correct for yours. Does it have the original seats? Whatever is on the rear seat backrest should match the boot floor.... Can arrange delivery in the summer....

If anyone's reading this, I'm looking for the same stuff but for the split seat rear backrest, or complete rear seat backrest from a TG estate
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

Oh yeah. Forgot I'd got both Haynes manuals... :oops: In fact, I've got two BX ones as I lost the first one! It's great. One for in-house research, one to get oily in the garage.

Justin - the seat back is just bare metal, but I've got TGD-type seats to go in. I want to make sure I've cured the water leaks before I bother putting nice seats in though. Need to get the rear seat folded as well so I can get it out. Have a nasty feeling that all the bolts are going to snap, and I think a few are already missing (probably because they snapped when someone fitted the current, wrong interior).
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

Scenic beauty and the beast, to keep Phil happy about the lack of pictures recently!
Wooscary
BXpert

Post by Wooscary »

Way2go wrote:
A possibility associated with this is if the brake pads have been inserted the wrong way round. ie Only one of the pads has a notch on the back and that must engage with the notch on the cylinder. The none notched pad should be against the slider casting. Put them in the wrong way round and pads will wear faster and the pads will remain constantly more tightly in contact with the disc. "Ticking" noises also may emanate from the disc at slow speed.
This sounds all too like what I've done with mine. Whoops.

Cheers for the heads up.
Jayboy
BXpert

Post by Jayboy »

Hmmm. Sounds like a saloon seat then but I could be wrong. Never seen the boot of any estate older than '88. Think Toddman could be the best source of a definitive answer.

The flooring is yours if you want it anyway.
CCC BX Columnist
'89 16v P1
'90 BX GTi 4x4, 16v P2, 19 TZI auto A/C estate
'92 BX 19 TGD (now 17 Turbo D)
'93 BX 19 TXD estate & 19TD van
'93 ZX Volcane TD 3 Door
'71 DS 21 EFi Pallas, '86 Visa GTi ,
'98 Xantia Activa P1
'07 C4 by Loeb
3 x 2CV, 1 x Mehari
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

Thanks Jay. Sounds good. The 'new' seats are out of a hatch (I think, Tim can confirm) but the seats currently in could also well be out of a hatch. They're definitely not the originals.
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

Seats are in.

Well posh with a centre armrest in the rear! Need to find some Mk1 door cards now to try and match things up.

Now wears the correct badge again.

To Do List...
The engine still leaks rather more oil than it should. The engine still lacks power (still hunting that air leak - further work is planned). The rad fan switch needs replacing (have it, just haven't done it), the heater matrix needs replacing (this will rear its head next winter when I've failed to do anything about it). A track rod end needs replacing, as do the steering rack gaiters. The tailgate still needs the HRW and wiper wiring up. The doors need replacing, and possibly the handle mechanisms. The doors also need the correct door cards (still need to find some) and new window seals. The suspension spheres all need replacing as the ride is getting a bit iffy (by BX standards). While I think I've cured one water leak into the cabin, I suspect there are others. The nearside sill needs replacing.
Mothman

Post by Mothman »

Well done Ian,

keep up the good work, it wil be worth it in the end.

Andy
saintjamesy89
1K Away
My Cars: 1985 Citroen BX19 GT
198x Citroen BX16 TRS auto
1988 Volvo 740 2.0 GL Hearse
1991 Saab 900 16v convertible
2007 Lexus RX 400h SE

Post by saintjamesy89 »

Nice seats! My favourite, them is.
I'm not a Saint, or a James, but a Tom Saint-James!

Mes voitures:
1985 Citroen BX19 GT
1988 Volvo 740 2.0 GL Hearse
2006 Lexus RX 400h SE hybrid
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

saintjamesy89 wrote:Nice seats! My favourite, them is.
Yup they be the ones out of the Mk1 DTR, not bad considering they are 27 years and old and had done 180k, mind you they were FILTHY when I got it.
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

Have got the BX jacked up at the moment while I try and cure brake issues. A replacement handbrake cable is on the way from Oilyspanner (many thanks!) but I think I'm going to have to change or overhaul the caliper on the offside. At £40, I might just splash out on a replacement caliper.

Also need to get the door swapping into progress. I may first invest in the door pin tool though, seeing as they've all got to come off. The door handle is really, really stiff on the LHF door. What's the issue here? I sometimes have to get someone to hold the internal handle too, just to get the door open. As I'm stripping the door down to swap everything over, it'd be nice to know what needs doing to cure this while I'm at it.
citsncycles
Over 2k

Post by citsncycles »

I've not specifically stripped a BX door before, but my guess is it's most likely in need of a regrease. I've also come across worn linkages aswell - hopefully if that's the case it'll just need a couple of plastic bushes changing.
Mike Sims
BX 19RD Estate Mk1 - Timex!
BX 4X4 Estate - Oh god, I've done it again!
BX 17RD MK1 - it called to me!
BX14 TGE, - SOLD
XM Turbo SD,GS Club Estate,Visa 17D Leader,HY Pickup,Dyane Nomad,Dyane 6,2CV AZL,Falcon S,Trabant P50,3x Land Rovers (88" series 1,109" series 2a FFR,series 2a Marshall ambulance),DKW F7, Lambretta LD150 x 1.5,Mobylette SP93,Ural Cossack,Ural M63,CZ 250 Sport,Honda Varadero 125,lots of bicycles & tricycles including (but not only) Sunbeams,Higgins & Bates!
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

The door handle could be that the either the lock mechanism is in need of greasing or possible one of the rods is catching or possibly fitthe the wrong way round, its is possible (I Know)
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

New handbrake cable fitted. That seems to have done the trick. Old one was seriously knackered! Thanks Oilyspanner!

RH caliper still binding. Going to stump up for a replacement I think, so I can discover the exciting world of bleeding the brake system on a BX. Not done it before. Should be interesting. Seems simple enough - just different!

A few more items are required though, so if you can help, let me know. I could do with the sound-proof mat that goes over the inner rear wheelarch and plenty of those black plastic fasteners that hold the large plastic side pieces in place. Gawd knows what I've done with them - I found four. Not enough!

Had a nice test drive though - the caliper isn't binding enough to cause serious heat - though the ride quality was so poor it was annoying me. Turns out I'd left it on intermediate height though... :oops: