The definitive heater modification

Frequently asked technical questions and common modifications/improvements
ed4ferrets
BXpert

Post by ed4ferrets »

I've seen no reference to the other type of circuit board, brand named CHAUSSON as opposed to the ELEDASA (Valeo) as pictured. Just wondering if it also has the same shortcoming as I've never heard the relay click when turning it to max? The pcb is in front of me but the circuits are not very clear, being covered by a protective white film of sorts .... hence unable provide a pic! This is off a K reg BX. Hope I haven't missed a previous posting asking the same thing :oops:
Marty said: "Take some small comfort from the fact that the driver of the other car, having failed the breath test will even now be in a little cell, with luck they will double him up with some mean bastard who will be tattooing a fandango on his arse"

'94 XM 2.1TD Break
'99 Xantia 1.9TD Break (almost there)
'63 Renault Caravelle
kermit the frog
BXpert

definative heater mod

Post by kermit the frog »

hi
your heater mod was fantastic.
my heater controls have been up the proverbial creek for quite a while
and i had learned to work round the problem.but thanks to your guide i now have a set of fully operational and uprated heater controls .
with the circuit board mod the fan is almost as strong as the hurricane,
im glad i dont wear a hair piece as it would now be on the rear parcel shelf
thanks again GREAT MOD!!!!! :lol: :!:
ALAN S an oracle of knowledge sadly missed by us all RIP Mate
Green Hornet well I don't really know.GS project gone to pastures new
Blue Streak 1996(P) XANTIA VSX TD (130K.)
AndersDK
BXpert

Post by AndersDK »

ed4ferrets wrote:I've seen no reference to the other type of circuit board, brand named CHAUSSON as opposed to the ELEDASA (Valeo) as pictured. Just wondering if it also has the same shortcoming as I've never heard the relay click when turning it to max? The pcb is in front of me but the circuits are not very clear, being covered by a protective white film of sorts .... hence unable provide a pic! This is off a K reg BX. Hope I haven't missed a previous posting asking the same thing :oops:
The plot is if the high speed relay is cutting in or not.
If you lean down to the steering column and hear a characteristic faint relay click while turning the fan blower control up, then there is nothing to modify.

If you dont hear that relay clicking and the fan does not kick into "hurricane" mode when the control is turned fully cw, then you need to modify.

It would be wise to turn off your 400Watts bass & drums before the test :shock:
C U / Anders - '90red16riBreak - '91GrisDolment16meteor - Project'88red19trsBreak
dead cars : '89white 16RS - '89antrasitTRDturboEst - '90white19triBreak
ami8i

Post by ami8i »

Hello,
I saved this topic on Thu Mar 22, 2007 --> today I just 'flew' about the new postings and recognised that your're talking about relais (always).

It looks that my BX 16 Break TGI (model 1992) hasn't got a relais --> the modifications doesn't work. I burnt 2 control panels because the current was too high. Also the control resitor layer suffered.
Now I know what the printed resistors are for! They limit the current to protect the layer!

I scrapped another BX which has got a relais. One day (before winter) I'll try to combine the original with the luxury harness.

I put in a simple switch for 'cool' vacation trip.

Take care!
»Horst
BX 16 TGI Break (but with BX14 engine (KDY) + c/r 10.3:1 + longest gear box (AX Diesel) + OEM steering assitance)
Ami8i Break (V06/630+EFI+catalytic converter)
ex BX 19 Break 4WD "Sold"
Kitch
Over 2k
My Cars: Too many to list

Post by Kitch »

I have at last performed the heater modification. Sadly, it now rotates only around 2rpm faster than it did before, so I don't think it was all that bad to begin with! Although the relay does now click, which before it didn't.
One third of a three-spoke BX columnist team for the Citroenian magazine.

CCC BX registrar: The national BX register - click to submit a car!

1983(A) 16TRS (Rouge Valleunga)
1990(H) 16Valve (Rouge Furio)
Boxwolf
BXpert

Post by Boxwolf »

While taking the circuit board out to fit new bulbs, I attempted this modification. After modifying the board and testing my new connection I stuck it back in, the lights came on (as I had hoped) and twiddling with the blower control seemed to work briefly, but then nothing. I took it all apart again, checked the little spring that bridges the tracks on the dial was in place, tried shorting the tracks together with a screwdriver ... nothing.
ami8i wrote: It looks that my BX 16 Break TGI (model 1992) hasn't got a relais --> the modifications doesn't work. I burnt 2 control panels because the current was too high. Also the control resitor layer suffered.
I hope this is not the case with all '92 model BX's as mine is a 92 one. I dont know which fuse the fan is, can anyone shed some light on this?
1992 BX TXD Turbo
Boxwolf
BXpert

Re: heater modification

Post by Boxwolf »

gazpacho andulus wrote:terminal 3 wasnt earthing I got new bulbs which worked and thus illuminated I put a screw driver across 2 & 3 and it started to blow. I rotated the white dial and It increased to full power. IT WAS A PROBLEM WITH THE EARTH. Thanks for your help. :D
Same with mine, I (badly) soldered track 2 and 3 together and now the blower works fine, but sadly I had to undo the modification as it wasnt working on full power setting at all, no relay tick, nothing.
1992 BX TXD Turbo
DFF53
Confirmed BX'er

Post by DFF53 »

If my fan does not work at all in the first place will this modification help?
Grenouille Rouge
electrokid
1K Away

Post by electrokid »

I tried this mod today - at first it didn't work. Turning the control up from zero started the fan running but then moving it past halfway it started to slow down again.

As others have found, 'pin 3' wasn't grounded and soldering a bridge across to the ground connection of the bulb circuit made it work fine.

I hadn't read the whole thread so I found it out the hard way but one thing I did notice while trying to find out why the mod wasn't working was that the heater speed was variable when I bashed the relay (a well know engineering technique of course :-) )

Relay contacts are usually designed to have a slight 'wiping action' and this helps to keep the contacts clean by scraping off any surface corrosion that could stop them working. I figure that before I did the mod, the relay has sat there not operating for 18 years / 200K miles and not had this cleaning action so had become intermittantly high resistance thus changing the speed of the fan at times.

Fan speed varying intermittantly could be cause by corroded contacts on this relay - the simplest remedy is to do this mod because when the relay operates the contacts will get cleaned. Bashing my relay now has no effect on fan speed - the contacts are now clean after only a few operations.

Many thanks to Doz for the details - excellent :-)
1992 BX19 TGD estate 228K Rusty - SORNed
2002 C5 HDi SX estate
Wooscary
BXpert

Post by Wooscary »

Just had a look at doing this, in the first instance just as instructions to get in to the control knobs to clean them as I was only getting "on full blast" or nothing.

So that's sorted, and it turns out on closer inspection that mine appears to be one where the mod is not required, which is a shame, I had the iron out heating up and everything. Oh well.
Defender110
Over 2k
My Cars: Land Rover Discovery Series 1 200tdi 3 door
Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5
2020 Fiat Panda cross 4x4 twin air.

Post by Defender110 »

My heater blower stopped working in my TZD this week;
I used this thread to find the fault was as described in posts above the heater earth track no longer earthing. A simple connection from the heater Earth no.2 to no.3 the lamp earth (if counting from the right facing forward (3&4 if counting from the left)) I did a temporary permanent repair by twisting some wire strands round the base of the lugs before plugging back in.
I didn't bother with the modification as I didn't want to risk the pitfalls encountered by some of the others on my 93 car and my blower is strong enouth anyway on full.

Thanks to DOZ for the pictorial and the others for pinpointing the earth problem. This thread saved me hours of head scratching.
Kevan
1997 Mercedes C230 W202
2003 Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5 - Daily driver / hobby days and camping.
1993 Land Rover Discovery 200tdi Series 1 3 door - in need of TLC
2020 Fiat Panda 4x4 Cross Twin Air.
Vanny
Merseyside resident
My Cars: BX 16v Ph2 - Jazz
BX 16v Ph2 - XPO

Post by Vanny »

Just before go and (finally) do this, it dawns on me that there must be a reason Citroen never did it! I'm about to modify a brand new panel which was allegedly made in Jan 1994, and isn't wired to max fans.

I begin to wonder, if the reason it was never done, was to prolong the life of the PMOS / blower motor? Now if i had the technical spec for the motor it would be easy to figure out, but i don't, sad.

So, of those who've tried this mod, has anyone seen any problems?
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

Not after 6 years, but like you I can't see why they would deliberately stop the max speed relay from operating. I rarely use full speed so is possible I'm only 'getting away with it' rather than it being 100% OK.

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
electrokid
1K Away

Post by electrokid »

My fan 'top speed' no longer works and I haven't been bothered to dig in and find out why yet - can't see that it's anything to do with the mod though.
it dawns on me that there must be a reason Citroën never did it!
Most likely to be the same reason they put the paint code for Furio red on the inner wing - then painted it Venetian Red :lol:
1992 BX19 TGD estate 228K Rusty - SORNed
2002 C5 HDi SX estate
Jayboy
BXpert

Post by Jayboy »

Errr, because 'Venetian Red' and 'Rouge Furio' are the same colour.... :lol:
CCC BX Columnist
'89 16v P1
'90 BX GTi 4x4, 16v P2, 19 TZI auto A/C estate
'92 BX 19 TGD (now 17 Turbo D)
'93 BX 19 TXD estate & 19TD van
'93 ZX Volcane TD 3 Door