Mk1 BX 19RD Estate RHD! A new home

A place for us to show off our cars in all their glory. Please keep picture sizes to about 800x600 pixels.
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

I have plenty of the trim clips (in black) as I always seemed to be losing them, so would grab a handful every time I was in a scrapyard! If I'm down on Saturday will bring 'em.

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

Super. That'd be grand. There's absolutely no rush on this, but it would be nice to get the trims back in so I can have a load cover again.
Mike E (uk)
1K Away

Post by Mike E (uk) »

I have lots of those fasteners too.

pity they don't actually work as fasteners though.

Mike
la BX 16 soupapes: sachez apprecier avec moderation.

It might be clever now, but it won't be in the morning!
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

I was going to buy a hinge pin removal tool. But it was sunny, so I took a door off anyway. I think I'm still going to buy the removal tool! This was very, very hard work.

Need to strip the door down next, though I still don't have any window seals, so pointless going too far at this stage. I can at least find out why the window doesn't seem to rise horizontally...
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

Door comparisons. Both rusty, one is free of dents at least! This was taken before I stripped the old door. A bit of a faff but got there in the end, but then felt like I'd had enough!

With the 'new' door, I'm wondering about fitting it to the car first so at least the door stays put while I fit things to it! Some queries before I do:

Any tips for the best technique when fitting the doors? Getting the hinge pins out was a right ball-ache. Hopefully it'll be a bit easier getting them back in?

Door check strap. This door doesn't really want to stay open. Is it possible to get new check straps or is fettling possible?

Window mechanism. The window was returning in a rather un-horizontal manner. It was as if the front roller wasn't in the runner. I think I only freed the rear roller (what a fiddly pain in the backside that was!) but as things were moving around a lot, I've no idea what the front roller was doing. Is there anything else that can fail that I should be looking for? The glass is attached to the runner as it should be.
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

Ian just looking at the picture, could you post me back the door mirror rubber wotsit, as the new door wont half make a din without out as I forgot to take it off.

Thanks.
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

I find it easiest to pop a temporary pin (eg allen key) in to hold the door while fitting the other hinge. Trolley jack useful to take the weight of the door.

1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
citsncycles
Over 2k

Post by citsncycles »

..that_

I always fit the door with as little on it as possible, simply to make it lighter.

Could be a few things with the window:
Was the mechanism solidly fitted in the door?
Check that the rollers are solidly fitted to the glass
Are the lower vertical runners in the door present and not rotten.

I've had similar issues with the GS and found all of the above in varying degrees.
Mike Sims
BX 19RD Estate Mk1 - Timex!
BX 4X4 Estate - Oh god, I've done it again!
BX 17RD MK1 - it called to me!
BX14 TGE, - SOLD
XM Turbo SD,GS Club Estate,Visa 17D Leader,HY Pickup,Dyane Nomad,Dyane 6,2CV AZL,Falcon S,Trabant P50,3x Land Rovers (88" series 1,109" series 2a FFR,series 2a Marshall ambulance),DKW F7, Lambretta LD150 x 1.5,Mobylette SP93,Ural Cossack,Ural M63,CZ 250 Sport,Honda Varadero 125,lots of bicycles & tricycles including (but not only) Sunbeams,Higgins & Bates!
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

Thanks folks. I knocked the pins out with some conveniently sized nails - which then neatly acted as hinge pins until I wanted to pull them out (proper hefty nails!). No reason why they can't do the temporary job when re-fitting.

Tim - can you wait until the X Rally? I'll try and get it posted next week otherwise.

The window mechanism appeared to be firmly attached to the door. I'll see how things look when I refit everything...
Tim Leech
Over 2k

Post by Tim Leech »

Dollywobbler wrote:
Tim - can you wait until the X Rally? I'll try and get it posted next week otherwise.
Sure mate, I have your door seals!
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

Do you mean window seals? Grenman has bailed me out with my knackered door seal issue.
Tim Leech
Over 2k

Post by Tim Leech »

Dollywobbler wrote:Do you mean window seals? Grenman has bailed me out with my knackered door seal issue.
Doh yeh that!
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

Thanks for the tip Mat. A couple of old nails and a trolley jack did indeed make the door fitting fairly easy. I guess that's the easy bit as I now need to refit all the gubbins.

Quick query. How do you remove the rear window winders? Moving my attention rearward next.
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

Not sure TBH - all the BXs I've owned have had electric windows!. If they're like other PSA cars of that era they'll just pull off...

1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
Tim Leech
Over 2k

Post by Tim Leech »

On a mk 2 they just prize off so worth a try?