Yet another BX in the stable.

Anything about BXs
Mothman

Yet another BX in the stable.

Post by Mothman »

Yes, ive gone anb bought another BX Estate. Basically for spares as its head gasket had gone. Its a BX17 TZD in red with 155k on the clock registered 30 11 93 and has 6 months mot left. It runs but the header tank is pressurised abd spews water although there is nothing in the oil.

Its had its octopus replaced as well as the rear arm bearings and i have an armful of bills so it has been looked after just not had the coolant changed enough i suppose. There isnt any rust on the front inner wings and cant see much anywhere else. Ok, there are a few niggles and dings, it isnt perfect.

Local garage has quoted me close to a grand to sort the head and do the timing belt and i i wonder if she is worth saving. Cant do pics at the moment as photobucket is seriously messing with my pc at the moment.

Andy
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

Not tempted to have a go yourself? Can't say I've ever attempted a head gasket replacement, but I wouldn't necessarily rule it out just because of that. Sounds like a well-cared for motor otherwise.

The XUD turbos can blow head gaskets anyway. They're not exactly Rover K-Series prone, but a turbo does put more pressure on them.
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

If it's any help, Andy here's the pic off Facebook:

• 1992 Citroen BX TZD Turbo Hurricane
• 2006 Xsara Picasso 1.6 16v
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

Oh, and it's too good to kill.... isn't it? :)
Mothman

Post by Mothman »

Thanks for that Phil.

its a bit tatty in places, some of the varnish coat or whatever its called is peeling in places but for 100 quid i think it may be worth saving. Tyres are good too, has new front disks and pads.

Andy
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

Has to be worth saving. It's even got rear mud flaps!

With values rising, now's the time to save the better ones while they still exist. The number of survivors is only going to diminish.
citronut
Over 2k

Post by citronut »

pm sent Andy

regards malcolm
curent ride
K reg BX 17TD TZD est
also own
K reg D special

no longer have
H reg CX saffari 2.5 TRI (now gone to Malaysia)
R reg xantia 1.9TD est (gone to meet its maker)
JayW
1K Away

Post by JayW »

Head gaskets aren't hard to do by any means. Infact, the only PITA of the job is getting to all the manifold bolts, the rest is straightforward.
I have zero patience for your tedium.
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

Here you go Andy - as requested:

Mothman

Post by Mothman »

Dollywobbler wrote:Has to be worth saving. It's even got rear mud flaps!

With values rising, now's the time to save the better ones while they still exist. The number of survivors is only going to diminish.
Its even got front mudflaps too so defo worth saving. :lol:
Caffiend
Reluctant BXpert

Post by Caffiend »

Yeah, but has it got a splitter?

Not even sure if they are supposed to TBH ... :oops:
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe
1991 TZD hatch (Triton Green)
1992 Hurricane
citsncycles
Over 2k

Post by citsncycles »

I'd have a go at the head myself if it was mine. It's been a few years since I had to do a head gasket, and I've never done one on an XUD, but if you did the strip and reassembly yourself, I recon you could do it for around £100 for parts and a head skim, less if you reused some of the gaskets.
Mike Sims
BX 19RD Estate Mk1 - Timex!
BX 4X4 Estate - Oh god, I've done it again!
BX 17RD MK1 - it called to me!
BX14 TGE, - SOLD
XM Turbo SD,GS Club Estate,Visa 17D Leader,HY Pickup,Dyane Nomad,Dyane 6,2CV AZL,Falcon S,Trabant P50,3x Land Rovers (88" series 1,109" series 2a FFR,series 2a Marshall ambulance),DKW F7, Lambretta LD150 x 1.5,Mobylette SP93,Ural Cossack,Ural M63,CZ 250 Sport,Honda Varadero 125,lots of bicycles & tricycles including (but not only) Sunbeams,Higgins & Bates!
stuart_hedges
1K Away

Post by stuart_hedges »

I've just seen this on Facebook, but because you're a friend-of-a-friend-of-a-friend I couldn't comment.

If that can be saved it would be a brilliant, brilliant car. If the engine is beyond saving, I bet there's a good XUD Turbo engine out there somewhere in a rusty car (like my old one, for example, currently in a 205...)
Mickey taker
Over 2k

Post by Mickey taker »

surely it depends if the head needs skimming , thats an engineering shop job and costs serious dollar , it cost a bomb to have my petrol meteors head gasket done
1991 BX Meteor 1.6

light travels faster than sound, thats why you look intelligent and then you spoil it all by opening your mouth !!!!!
Kitch
Over 2k
My Cars: Too many to list

Post by Kitch »

Try changing the rad cap for a good one first. If there are no other symptoms, it could just be boiling up because it's not pressurised. Ensure there are no air locks too - you don't know who's been playing around with it.
One third of a three-spoke BX columnist team for the Citroenian magazine.

CCC BX registrar: The national BX register - click to submit a car!

1983(A) 16TRS (Rouge Valleunga)
1990(H) 16Valve (Rouge Furio)