Bougies - Glowplugs!

BX Tech talk
silverfox
Confirmed BX'er

Bougies - Glowplugs!

Post by silverfox »

When I was in France I needed glowplugs. (Cheaper than here). But I just couldn't get at them and a garage had to change them. :(

Is there a special tool for the job? If not what has to be removed in case it happens again? :lol: Bet you know Oily! :wink: Geoff
Me depressed? Don't make me laugh!
Stewart (oily!)
1K Away

Post by Stewart (oily!) »

The best option is a 12 mm deep quarter inch drive socket, you may also need a 12mm ring spanner for the end one, the electricals are held on with 8mm nuts, if its a turbodiesel then long spidery fingers are rather handy too as is a magnetic pick up tool to get the nuts and washers back :)
Stewart
TZD 19 TD one of the few
Xantia Td estate, going soft
Stewart (oily!)
1K Away

Post by Stewart (oily!) »

And another thing, Bougies are spark plugs too, check whats in the packet :)
Stewart
TZD 19 TD one of the few
Xantia Td estate, going soft
Terry Brooks
BXpert
Location: No 1 at the end of the bar .....@Milton Arms,Rotherham

Post by Terry Brooks »

No special tools required .....just lotsa patience and as Stewart [aka Oily] sez .....and magnetic tool [blu tac works too] .....
HTH
Terry

"And everyday the paperboy brings more"
Dont let the 2CV fool you,I'm not a hippy,I like violence
st gilles

Post by st gilles »

Sorry Geoff, I didn't catch the whole story re France; was it a recent trip? If so although the answers above are absolutely spot on.....you shouldn't need to even think about changing them for at least 2 years in my experience and (so I've been told) if you allow the engine to always have the 'start up glo plug time' every time you start up it helps keep them clean and they might last even longer...they don't have to be changed at the same intervals as the spark plugs on a petrol engine. Sorry if I've tried to teach granny to suck eggs etc etc. Mike.
silverfox
Confirmed BX'er

Post by silverfox »

Hey Oily! Trust you to have an answer about bougies - its the same word for candles too so there! :wink: :lol:

Thanks to all for contributions! I've used blue tak too!
M

Post by M »

silverfox wrote:Hey Oily! Trust you to have an answer about bougies - its the same word for candles too so there! :wink: :lol:
In the medical profession it refers to a piece of 14 SWG flexible wire coated in latex rubber used to assist in intubation where the airway is restricted.

One word, many uses.
silverfox
Confirmed BX'er

Post by silverfox »

[One word, many uses.[/quote]

When I was a little boy we had the bougie man! :^o