Mk1 BX 19RD Estate RHD! A new home

A place for us to show off our cars in all their glory. Please keep picture sizes to about 800x600 pixels.
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

Is that car still around?
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
Mickey taker
Over 2k

Post by Mickey taker »

I honestly dont know Tim, Harry Joe had the other one but he dosen't work at the place where they were stored anymore.
1991 BX Meteor 1.6

light travels faster than sound, thats why you look intelligent and then you spoil it all by opening your mouth !!!!!
Tim Leech
Over 2k

Post by Tim Leech »

Ok Mick

Would be interesting to know if we could find out.
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

A dark day. It would be an awful lot easier to sell this and buy a BX that was already nice!

I suspect this is just the typical Project Mood Swing, but there are a lot of BXs that I haven't owned. I've only owned 1.9 diesels or one 16v. There's an awful lot in the middle!

I guess the big question is am I prepared to say goodbye to the quirks of the Mk1? I love the rotating drum speedo and wacky controls.
citsncycles
Over 2k

Post by citsncycles »

From one rare estate owner to another - keep at it, it'll be worth it in the end!

Yes there are other BX's out there, but how many of them are RHD Mk1 estates?

Whenever I think about selling the G, the one thing that stops me is the question "if I wanted another, how easy or cheap would it be to find another one?" With mine being apparently 1 of 4 roadworthy GS estates in the UK currently, the answer is "bloody difficult and probably not" - and that's with a car that is probably 4 times more common than yours!

Having said all the above - if you do decide to get shot, I enjoy a challenge so may be tempted, which is why I hope you keep it!
Mike Sims
BX 19RD Estate Mk1 - Timex!
BX 4X4 Estate - Oh god, I've done it again!
BX 17RD MK1 - it called to me!
BX14 TGE, - SOLD
XM Turbo SD,GS Club Estate,Visa 17D Leader,HY Pickup,Dyane Nomad,Dyane 6,2CV AZL,Falcon S,Trabant P50,3x Land Rovers (88" series 1,109" series 2a FFR,series 2a Marshall ambulance),DKW F7, Lambretta LD150 x 1.5,Mobylette SP93,Ural Cossack,Ural M63,CZ 250 Sport,Honda Varadero 125,lots of bicycles & tricycles including (but not only) Sunbeams,Higgins & Bates!
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

The main problem is, it's a bit too rare really. I guess I've discovered also that my absolute dream-spec BX (diesel, estate, Mk1) is not as mind-blowing as I thought...

I need a car that I can use. At the moment, the BX spends most of its time sitting in my garage. I've become scared to use it in the rain (due to the leaks as much as the rust!) and for much of the weekend, I felt properly scared that it'd get pranged or damaged. It's quite a pressure owning what could be the only RHD Mk1 estate on the road!
MULLEY
Over 2k
My Cars: 1999 Xsara LX 2.0HDI (90) Hatch - Fern
2002 C5 2.0 HDI (110) Estate - Jasmine - SORN
2011 Mini Cooper D Clubman - SOLD
2016 Mercedes A180D Sport - Auto refinement
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - SORN
1992 TZD Turbo Estate - SORN
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired - SORN
1990 Gti 8Valve SOLD - looks like it's been scrapped
2002 Mini Cooper S - SOLD - i miss this car
1992 TXD - Scrapped in March 2014
1988 CX 25 GTI Turbo2 - SORN
1996 - AX Memphis 1.5D - Dream - SORN

Post by MULLEY »

Have 2 BX's then :lol: I woudln't worry about pranging the mk1, it was destined for scrap & was saved so would be there anyway.
2002 C5 2.0 HDI Estate - Jasmine - Now SORN
2011 Mini Cooper D Clubman - SOLD
2016 Mercedes A180D Sport - Auto refinement
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - My daily
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired.
1990 Gti 8Valve SOLD - looks like it's been scrapped
2002 Mini Cooper S - SOLD - i miss this car
1992 TXD - Scrapped in March 2014
1988 CX 25 GTI Turbo2 - SORN
1996 - AX Memphis 1.5D - Dream - SORN

I'm not just a username, i'm also called Matthew.
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

Do what you see fit Ian. For me it's driving BXs that appeals. If you spend too much time worrying that something - either reliability or rarity - will stop you enjoying using it, then I empathise - after all I sold a pristine 1 owner 16TGS auto with 26k miles from new because every day I used it I knew I was reducing its 'specialness' and diminishing its value too. With your Mk 1 I saw it - and believe me you have a mountain to climb with that. And then, once it's restored.... will you want to risk running it as a (necessary) workhorse as opposed to 'collector's piece'?

Get a BX you feel happy to use, enjoy it's quirks but have reliability and water-tightness up there with the other attractive aspects of these cars.
• 1992 Citroen BX TZD Turbo Hurricane
• 2006 Xsara Picasso 1.6 16v
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

Feeling a bit more positive today. Got it out of the garage and used it for the shopping run (25 mile round trip) even though it was raining. Due a tinkering session with Mr Fenwick next weekend (not this one about to happen) so need to plan what we'll tackle. Key things are:

Accumulator sphere (need to buy one!)
Tailgate wiring (HRW and rear wiper)
Fix central locking
Possibly fit new driver's door (also replacing the broken door lock and window seal)
Investigate intermittent steering (pump or FDV?)

Needing attention list:
Steering rack gaiters and one track rod end (might need to slot that in another time)
Suspension spheres (it really doesn't ride as badly as you'd expect given the state of them though!)
Engine - still down on power

It really isn't anywhere near as bad as it looks and today reminded me that generally, it drives really well.
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

Hopefully some of your positivity can rub off on me then, as I wasn't feeling too BX friendly last night...

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

Either that or we'll just get pissed and decide to buy Vauxhalls!

Just ordered a new acc sphere and TRE so we've got plenty of options with what to tackle.
Tim Leech
Over 2k

Post by Tim Leech »

I know of two other rhd 19RD Estate, one has been sat in someones garden for about 10 years and is wrecked and the other is the white one which is in Ireland which I doubt either will ever see the road again.
citsncycles
Over 2k

Post by citsncycles »

I do know what you mean about being worried driving such a rare motor, although I've found that it has improved my defensive driving no end! I'm gradually collecting a complete spare set of panels for the GS in the hopes that if it does get hit, between the insurance money, the parts and my own skills, it can be returned to the road. Also, I'd rather have a scruffy motor than something pristine I'd be worried about using.
Mike Sims
BX 19RD Estate Mk1 - Timex!
BX 4X4 Estate - Oh god, I've done it again!
BX 17RD MK1 - it called to me!
BX14 TGE, - SOLD
XM Turbo SD,GS Club Estate,Visa 17D Leader,HY Pickup,Dyane Nomad,Dyane 6,2CV AZL,Falcon S,Trabant P50,3x Land Rovers (88" series 1,109" series 2a FFR,series 2a Marshall ambulance),DKW F7, Lambretta LD150 x 1.5,Mobylette SP93,Ural Cossack,Ural M63,CZ 250 Sport,Honda Varadero 125,lots of bicycles & tricycles including (but not only) Sunbeams,Higgins & Bates!
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

Have just been for a nice drive in the BX. It really does seem to drop a fair bit of oil. Might have to investigate that at the weekend...

Also, my wife was displeased to discover that when it REALLY rains (which it did in the way back) water seems to pour in somewhere - either the LH door seal or somewhere in the roof area. Hard to tell. Oh dear. It's now back in the garage with the dehumidifier...
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

Parcel shelf re-fitted. Thanks to Mat for the donation of trim screw things.

I don't seem to have enough, but that's probably because I put the new screws somewhere 'safe' and I'm not sure I've recovered all of them.

The shelf's a bit minging, so it fits right in on this car.

Lastly, it is the year!