New arrival pending

Anything about BXs
B-Hive
BXpert

Post by B-Hive »

I think the Pram handle was added later as its the only paint that has clear coat issues... personally not a real fan of this accessory on this model but may get used to it..

.so flight booked for 14th... stay with friends ..visit a few vineyards in the Barrosa Valley.. get the TRS road ready...1200km photographic trip home...

life's good!!!
Current
85 BX GT Mk1..
86 BX TRS Mk1
87 BX TRi

Gone
85 BX TRS mk1 auto... SOLD
90 BX TRi..parts....cubed
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

2BXORNOT2BX wrote:I think the Pram handle was added later as its the only paint that has clear coat issues... personally not a real fan of this accessory on this model but may get used to it..
Snap, think it spoils (get it) the shape, hence why none of my 5 has one, it it were me It would be the first thing to come off! :lol: Quite like the rubber GT lip spoiler though.
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
frog
BXpert

Post by frog »

I will pay you for the pram handle!
Please!
1989 Citroën BX 16v
1993 Citroën BX 16v project
B-Hive
BXpert

Post by B-Hive »

Well I'm flying west in about an hour to collect the soon to be new arrival.

I think I'm prepared enough for the return road trip, but who knows what can happen on a 1200km journey

Anyway wish me luck,, and I'll be sure to take heaps of photos too..
Current
85 BX GT Mk1..
86 BX TRS Mk1
87 BX TRi

Gone
Defender110
Over 2k
My Cars: Land Rover Discovery Series 1 200tdi 3 door
Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5
2020 Fiat Panda cross 4x4 twin air.

Post by Defender110 »

Enjoy and good luck. keep us posted.
Kevan
1997 Mercedes C230 W202
2003 Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5 - Daily driver / hobby days and camping.
1993 Land Rover Discovery 200tdi Series 1 3 door - in need of TLC
2020 Fiat Panda 4x4 Cross Twin Air.
Paul296
Over 2k
My Cars: Citroen BX 17 TZD Hurricane
Citroen BX 17 TGD

Post by Paul296 »

2BXORNOT2BX wrote:I think the Pram handle was added later as its the only paint that has clear coat issues... !
It probably was added later but the paint on those spoilers always seems to have clear coat issues. I think they look nice enough on the mark2s they were designed for, but a mark1? No. The black rubber ones look nice though. Enjoy the car btw - I KNOW you will! 8)
mds141
Over 2k

Post by mds141 »

Look out for the 'Roos! :lol:
Mark Smith

Is it just me or is everything shit?

1989 BX GTi 16 valve. Blanc Alpine. Completed the Citroen Classic Challenge Ecosse and 1337 miles without a hitch.
2000 XM VSX 2.1 td Auto. Rouge Magenta.
TGD saloon many years ago.

1990 Swift 'Corniche' 12/2 aka BXClub HQ.
Honda Firestorm. Gone, but not forgotten.
2015 Triumph Tiger Explorer XC.
frog
BXpert

Post by frog »

Best of luck for the trip, we will definitely be expecting lots of photos!
1989 Citroën BX 16v
1993 Citroën BX 16v project
Paul296
Over 2k
My Cars: Citroen BX 17 TZD Hurricane
Citroen BX 17 TGD

Post by Paul296 »

mds141 wrote:Look out for the 'Roos! :lol:
'I think he's tryin' to tell us somethin' dad; what's that skip? Anyone who picks up a mk1 BX for bladdy nuthin 's a jammy b*****d?

'He's royt there Sonny - better than this crappy helicopter'

Skippy, Skippy - Skippy a friend ever true. (etc. etc.) 8)
B-Hive
BXpert

Post by B-Hive »

stoopid duplicate post
Last edited by B-Hive on Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Current
85 BX GT Mk1..
86 BX TRS Mk1
87 BX TRi

Gone
B-Hive
BXpert

Post by B-Hive »

Well I'm back

Unfortunately sans BX :(

From the beginning then...

First impressions of overall car was great, lovely interior/dash, Romantic blue paint very lovely, except where it has been repaired after ironically hitting a 'roo. So on the right side on the rear quarter and below the waist line on the doors the paint is noticeably darker/different.. Easy fix though otherwise beautiful coach work.

112k's
original handbook
all service records

Steering rack ram boot leak drivable as was

Ruptured other front return lines needed patching...done

No fuel pressure..replaced pump with one i brought along..still no pressure.. a few new bits of hose and several mouthfuls of fuel later i had the system primed..

No spark

Swap out coil
Swap out ignition module

No go

Check connectors between dizzy and module..contact cleaner..we have spark!!! Joy

AND we then get her to start!!

Celebration

Short lived ..wouldnt start a second time...sounded sick ...sounded like timing belt (newly fitted a year ago) had slipped ..arrggghhh!!

Hoping for the best I decided to pull the dizzy off and check it ...It had a nasty rattle inside so i promptly replaced it with one I brought with me..

Sounding better we faffed with the timing, cleaned the plugs and she roared to life...so smooth and rattle free,, the engine just hummed ..i didnt know they could sound so smooth..

Collected her the next day and had first drive..so tight and taut to match the k's but a few k's down the road I was leaking LHM badly..

An auto store shop front repair later I was again moving..Happy and confident I was that that was it...

But before heading off on my major return trip i decided to stay around with my friend for a few days to make sure things were stable..

They were not ...and despite numerous attempts to stem the flow of LHM I decided the octopus was shot , or the flat accumulator was giving high pressure return problems and popping off lines..

At one stage i even resorted to using diesel to fill the LHM tank,, as I was going through transmission fluid so fast.

And thats where I left it.. I had run out of time ...Fortunately my friend has a large property so I could leave the car there..so I bought a car cover to protect her, and hired a nasty Micra to drive home!!! ah the humanity of it all.. for the whole trip all i was thinking was how much nicer it would have been to do it in a functional BX

Anyway so no pictures but she is in my ownership albeit still 1200km away..

BTW the other curious thing was that the motor tended to fume a bit.. Now i know engines well and this one is sweet but i couldn't explain the fuming.. I am thinking that with the car sitting idle for 5 years that the rings may be still gummed up and an oil change would fix this...other than that her drive train would go to the moon and back IMO
Current
85 BX GT Mk1..
86 BX TRS Mk1
87 BX TRi

Gone
saintjamesy89
1K Away
My Cars: 1985 Citroen BX19 GT
198x Citroen BX16 TRS auto
1988 Volvo 740 2.0 GL Hearse
1991 Saab 900 16v convertible
2007 Lexus RX 400h SE

Post by saintjamesy89 »

How rotten! I can imagine your displeasure of driving all that way in a Micra when you could have been in the lovely TRS. What's going to happen now then? You going to stick with it and get it repaired?

My newly acquired GT was smokin like a good'un too. I put it down to not being used or started since 2007, hopefully an oil change a service and a good run will sort it out though! (she was misfiring too which may have had an input)
I'm not a Saint, or a James, but a Tom Saint-James!

Mes voitures:
1985 Citroen BX19 GT
1988 Volvo 740 2.0 GL Hearse
2006 Lexus RX 400h SE hybrid
B-Hive
BXpert

Post by B-Hive »

saintjamesy89 wrote:How rotten! I can imagine your displeasure of driving all that way in a Micra when you could have been in the lovely TRS. What's going to happen now then? You going to stick with it and get it repaired?

My newly acquired GT was smokin like a good'un too. I put it down to not being used or started since 2007, hopefully an oil change a service and a good run will sort it out though! (she was misfiring too which may have had an input)
..i may go back and patch in a firewall mounted octopus bypass, or i may phone a local man to pick it up and replace the octopus...or

Either which way or any other way I will get the car home

and as a side point the TRS is not smoking and burning oil but fuming from the crankcase...hopefully a classic example of gummed rings

Need to see the chiropractor soon from the Micra's handling and suspension limitations
Last edited by B-Hive on Mon Apr 30, 2012 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Current
85 BX GT Mk1..
86 BX TRS Mk1
87 BX TRi

Gone
toddao
BXpat

Post by toddao »

Respect to you for the effort - mark it down as an adventure. When you eventually get it you'll be even more stoked ( is that phrase still in usage in Aus?).

I know what you mean about the chiropractor. I hired a similar small car for a weekend a couple of years back and I could barely walk on the Monday so harsh was the ride.

Are you going to source another Octopus in Aus ( another adventure I reckon) or make up a repair kit from odds'n'ends? A couple of lengths of LHM friendly piping and a couple of plug in connectors?
Todd

this yellow writing is really hard to read
Mickey taker
Over 2k

Post by Mickey taker »

I know time was limited but its a shame you couldent have hired some sort of transporter to get it back home.
would have probably worked out about the same as the cost of hiring the micra and another air fare to go and get the car and you may not have needed the chiropractor :lol: .
1991 BX Meteor 1.6

light travels faster than sound, thats why you look intelligent and then you spoil it all by opening your mouth !!!!!