GT mediated Awesomeness

Tell us about life with your BX, or indeed life in general!
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

Brilliant. Looks a superb buy. An aftermarket temp gauge - now that IS a good modification! Still haven't fitted one to the Mk1 though...

I wouldn't be at all surprised if the radiator fan switch is kaput. It's easy to bridge the contacts in the plug to see if the fan then kicks in. Not sure how the petrols are, but the diesels really struggle to get hot enough to kick the fan in when it's cool weather - unless you take it for a good high-speed thrash first.

Given the state of my BX, I'd recommend a thorough drain and backflush of the cooling system though. After three years of inactivity, there were mineral desposits in some areas of mine! I suspect there's still quite a bit of gunk in the heater matrix.

Good luck with it! You've got plenty of time to form a plan of action at least...
stuart_hedges
1K Away

Post by stuart_hedges »

If you want one of those adaptors that plug into the cassette deck, I have a couple here that I don't need - PM me your address and I'll bung one in the post.
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

Kitch wrote:
Roverman wrote:Dont drive it Tom, its not road legal UNLESS its being driven to the MOT station.
It is if it's on trade plates.
If it has no MOT then the trade plates make no difference. It can be driven to or from a place or repair with no mot or tax aslong as its insured. The plates are basically a tax disc, which only works if the car has an MOT etc.
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
saintjamesy89
1K Away
My Cars: 1985 Citroen BX19 GT
198x Citroen BX16 TRS auto
1988 Volvo 740 2.0 GL Hearse
1991 Saab 900 16v convertible
2007 Lexus RX 400h SE

Post by saintjamesy89 »

Insured. £100.79 with Sureterm direct at a value of £1750!
I'm not a Saint, or a James, but a Tom Saint-James!

Mes voitures:
1985 Citroen BX19 GT
2006 Lexus RX 400h SE hybrid
Tim Leech
Over 2k

Post by Tim Leech »

saintjamesy89 wrote:Insured. £100.79 with Sureterm direct at a value of £1750!
Bargain, Tom when its all "minted up" I would increase the value a bit, mines insured agree valued for £2800! :shock: with a letter from the CCC to confirm its rarity
Kitch
Over 2k
My Cars: Too many to list

Post by Kitch »

Roverman wrote:
Kitch wrote:
Roverman wrote:Dont drive it Tom, its not road legal UNLESS its being driven to the MOT station.
If it has no MOT then the trade plates make no difference. It can be driven to or from a place or repair with no mot or tax aslong as its insured. The plates are basically a tax disc, which only works if the car has an MOT etc.
I use them on a regular basis and have had interactions with coppers including using them on cars that aren't actually registered (and by that I mean no chassis numbers.....nothing), let alone MOT'd.
So I'm still going to disagree. If what you were saying was correct our company would have been prosecuted in a big way by now.
One third of a three-spoke BX columnist team for the Citroenian magazine.

CCC BX registrar: The national BX register - click to submit a car!

1983(A) 16TRS (Rouge Valleunga)
1990(H) 16Valve (Rouge Furio)
Mickey taker
Over 2k

Post by Mickey taker »

Tom what cover did you get with sureterm ?

My BX is fully comp business use, £350 excess,,rescue and recovery,legal protection,and personal accident coverwith 12;000 miles per annum and that costing £397 a year which seems a lot
1991 BX Meteor 1.6

light travels faster than sound, thats why you look intelligent and then you spoil it all by opening your mouth !!!!!
Tim Leech
Over 2k

Post by Tim Leech »

Kitch wrote:
Roverman wrote:
Kitch wrote:
I use them on a regular basis and have had interactions with coppers including using them on cars that aren't actually registered (and by that I mean no chassis numbers.....nothing), let alone MOT'd.
So I'm still going to disagree. If what you were saying was correct our company would have been prosecuted in a big way by now.
Its legal to drive a new unregistered car on trade plates, but not a non MOT'ed car that is over 3 years, officially its only too and from the place or repair. But it doesnt really matter.

http://www.dft.gov.uk/dvla/forms/~/medi ... notes.ashx
Kitch
Over 2k

Post by Kitch »

Well well well! I've learned something today.

That's all good, it still doesn't affect us too much. It also looks like if for example that if this GT had been driven back, it'd be legal as long as you were taking it to a place of repair for work needed to gain an MOT certificate.

It's full of holes which can easily be exploited I'd say, but on the face of it yes you're right Tim.

saintjamesy89
1K Away
2007 Lexus RX 400h SE

Post by saintjamesy89 »

What is the oil dipstick gauge thingymabob supposed to do when the engine is running on the GT chaps? Only reason I ask is I have just been drooling over BX sports on youtube and they have oil pressure gauges here.

On ignition and for 30 secs or so when just started this gauge shows you the oil level, but it then goes back to rest on the 'empty' stop. Also there is writing on the top of the gauge but I can't read it from the pictures I have and didn't look last time I was in the car.

Can't find any answers on the internet surprisingly.

Mes voitures:
1985 Citroen BX19 GT
Willy
BXpert

Post by Willy »

saintjamesy89 wrote:What is the oil dipstick gauge thingymabob supposed to do when the engine is running on the GT chaps? Only reason I ask is I have just been drooling over BX sports on youtube and they have oil pressure gauges here.

On ignition and for 30 secs or so when just started this gauge shows you the oil level, but it then goes back to rest on the 'empty' stop. Also there is writing on the top of the gauge but I can't read it from the pictures I have and didn't look last time I was in the car.

Can't find any answers on the internet surprisingly.
That's fine, it's only meant to show you the level briefly once the car's been switched on. No problem there :)
ImageImageImageImageImage
Kitch
Over 2k

Post by Kitch »

I wonder if you could wire it to feature oil pressure too once the level relay had clicked out? That's what the ph2's do.

saintjamesy89
1K Away
2007 Lexus RX 400h SE

Post by saintjamesy89 »

Thanks chaps, I was thinking along those lines - if it wasn't supposed to anyway! I'm not an electrically minded person, so would it be the case of adding a wire (same as Sport/CX GTi oil gauges) from the oil pressure sensor/switch thingy to the gauge there already? Or would I have to modify or replace the current wire?

Mes voitures:
1985 Citroen BX19 GT
Defender110
Over 2k
My Cars: Land Rover Discovery Series 1 200tdi 3 door
Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5
2020 Fiat Panda cross 4x4 twin air.

Post by Defender110 »

Roverman wrote:
Kitch wrote:
Roverman wrote:
Its legal to drive a new unregistered car on trade plates, but not a non MOT'ed car that is over 3 years, officially its only too and from the place or repair. But it doesnt really matter.

http://www.dft.gov.uk/dvla/forms/~/medi ... notes.ashx
/\ As that!

I was once stopped on my way to a VOSA test station with Trade Plates in by a VOSA officer who told me the only reason he had pulled me in was because I was displaying trade plates in a vehicle displaying a current RFL. He told me they are purely a trade tax disc not an mot exemption disc.
Kevan
1997 Mercedes C230 W202
2003 Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5 - Daily driver / hobby days and camping.
1993 Land Rover Discovery 200tdi Series 1 3 door - in need of TLC
2020 Fiat Panda 4x4 Cross Twin Air.
saintjamesy89
1K Away
2007 Lexus RX 400h SE

Post by saintjamesy89 »

Getting really bored with being sat inside all day everyday behind a computer screen revising, so i'm giving myself Friday off. I've got an exam tomorrow, and then not any until 28th May and 1st June.

Soooo, on Friday i'm going to clean the GT, put some fresh petrol in her, start her up and have a good poke about. If it's not raining, i'll even get the polish and wax out too. So watch this space for shiny piccies.

Mes voitures:
1985 Citroen BX19 GT