1986 19RD Break

A place for us to show off our cars in all their glory. Please keep picture sizes to about 800x600 pixels.
toddao
BXpat

Post by toddao »

Thanks everyone. It was a lot of effort but I'm glad to have brought it back from the edge of the abyss.. gradually the memory of those winter days in the deep minus' lying under it start to fade.

The last obstacle at the TÜV yesterday was the towbar 'legality'. It was never recorded on the rego papers because the car was a Swiss import, apparently.
I spoke to Westfalia ( who made it) on the phone and they said the towbar was so old that paperwork was no longer available. Luckily I found a photocopy of an installation diagram for a similar towbar ( specified for the BX) but different number.
A couple of sympathetic younger guys at the TÜV ( rather than the old ' raisen shitter' who caused the headache in the first place) and an 'engineer's inspection' later ( one of the guys looking at it briefly, comparing it with the exploded view on my paper and me paying €20) and I was through, heading out on the highway. It's like a game by the TÜV sometimes.

A couple more photos inc the transplanted tweed interior from the breaker TRD which I'm very proud of as it required numerous adjustments and repair using the original seats that I'd stashed away a few years back.

Todd

this yellow writing is really hard to read
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

Looking well Todd! 8)
Last edited by Tim Leech on Wed Jul 27, 2011 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
rayfenwick
1K Away

Post by rayfenwick »

Looks very nice indeed. Very retro.
Ray

The Fleet (most recent first):
2000 Citroën XM 3.0 24V V6 Exclusive Auto (pre-MOT)
1997 Citroën XM 2.0 TCT Exclusive Auto (for sale)
1979 Citroën CX 2.4 EI Cmatic Prestige (slowly being restored)

1992 Alfa Romeo 164 Lusso 3.0 v6 12v Manual (on the to-do list)

www.citroencarclub.co.uk
Kitch
Over 2k
My Cars: Too many to list

Post by Kitch »

Good work mate. Got to ask though....why the single roof bar on the back? Lost key? :lol:
One third of a three-spoke BX columnist team for the Citroenian magazine.

CCC BX registrar: The national BX register - click to submit a car!

1983(A) 16TRS (Rouge Valleunga)
1990(H) 16Valve (Rouge Furio)
toddao
BXpat

Post by toddao »

/\ er, well spotted Kitch. I bought these roof bars off ebay and I tried one out about a year ago to make sure it fitted correctly, then I got distracted and it just stayed there. I took it off yesterday.

When I get a bit of time I'll fit both of them and on top of that.. the 80s topbox and take a photo. Call me obsessed but I had to get one that fitted with the era : angular rather than the more blob like shapes of contemporary boxes. It took a while to find one and a drive to collect it.
Todd

anaconda
BXpert

Post by anaconda »

Unique, and looks magnificent. I love the tweed seats too.
toddao
BXpat

Post by toddao »

A short update on the ole bus..

Running well through the rigours of winter. The suspension is sublime and I'm glad that I went the extra mile last year to replace everything.

The wife was having problems getting it into reverse. I would get in and have no problem - it went in easily.
After this happening a few times, turned out it was the fact that she had the seat so far forward and the lever was physically prevented from engaging the gears by sticking on the seat. And I was taking the gear box apart in my mind!

The front screen wash stopped working while I was overtaking a line of trucks on a wet, dirty, snow melt road. The screen went white. The bloody thing kicked in for one burst after much pressing so I could just about see.
I took it all apart, cleaned etc. I think it's the switch itself being a bit intermittant.

Apart from that she's starting every morning and I'm keeping my fingers crossed that if something does go at least let it be around Spring!
Todd

Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

Great stuff. Any plans to bring it to the UK this year?
maxgreenwood
BXpert

Post by maxgreenwood »

An awesome motor. Sounds like it's going well. Sublime suspension. Wet dreams for cleaning product researchers :wink:
'92 16TXS (m), Dark metallic green, 74k
'90 16TZS (m), White, 86k
'89 19TRS auto, Olympic Blue, 133k
'88 Saab 900 8v Turbo (auto) 107k Red with Tan leather, lovely drive and well maintained.
'07 Hyundai Santa Fe 2.2 CRDi 85k (m). Practical family wagon
assembled
Confirmed BX'er
My Cars: 1991 Citroen BX TZD Turbo
1989 Citroen BX GTi 4x4

Post by assembled »

The colour is fantastic! Very nice you have decided to save this car at the first place and that you are succeeding. Good luck!
1992 TZD Turbo berline, aircon, ABS
1991 TZD Turbo berline
1989 GTi 4x4 berline, ABS
toddao
BXpat

Post by toddao »

Dollywobbler asked
Any plans to bring it to the UK this year?
I would like to come to the big CCC meeting but I don't think it's the wife's idea of fun. With the kids it gets harder to 'bunk off' these days especially for a two thousand km round trip!
Todd

toddao
BXpat

Post by toddao »

Here are the 'new' wheels for summer - Ronals from 1986 without their centres unfortunately but I suppose I'm lucky to have a set at all.. ( the muddy front tyre and splatter are from where I got bogged last Sat at the local lake and had to be towed out by a very flash Merc)

Todd

Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

toddao wrote:Here are the 'new' wheels for summer - Ronals from 1986 without their centres unfortunately but I suppose I'm lucky to have a set at all.. ( the muddy front tyre and splatter are from where I got bogged last Sat at the local lake and had to be towed out by a very flash Merc)

Thats gets me all rather unecessary.
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
saintjamesy89
1K Away
My Cars: 1985 Citroen BX19 GT
198x Citroen BX16 TRS auto
1988 Volvo 740 2.0 GL Hearse
1991 Saab 900 16v convertible
2007 Lexus RX 400h SE

Post by saintjamesy89 »

And me, they are SERIOUSLY cool alloys!
I'm not a Saint, or a James, but a Tom Saint-James!

Mes voitures:
1985 Citroen BX19 GT
1988 Volvo 740 2.0 GL Hearse
2006 Lexus RX 400h SE hybrid
Caffiend
Reluctant BXpert

Post by Caffiend »

Down boys :lol:

Have missed this blog before for some reason :oops: and if I had ever thought about it, would have probably previously held the opinion that anyone painting a BX - and an estate no less - that colour should be burnt at the stake - but it looks brilliant, I love it!

I'll confess to some alloys envy too.

I was 7, my sisters were 5 and 2 on a family roadtrip of at least 2K km to-and-round Scandinavia in a 1934 Triumph. Make a good long holiday (couple weeks?) of driving here and back with the IC^multipleR in the middle perhaps? :)
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe
1991 TZD hatch (Triton Green)
1992 Hurricane