Mat's BX Blog

Tell us about life with your BX, or indeed life in general!
mds141
Over 2k

Re: Mat's BX Blog

Post by mds141 »

Excellent work Mat. The illuminated window switches in the XM are green.
Mark Smith

Is it just me or is everything shit?

1989 BX GTi 16 valve. Blanc Alpine. Completed the Citroen Classic Challenge Ecosse and 1337 miles without a hitch.
2000 XM VSX 2.1 td Auto. Rouge Magenta.
TGD saloon many years ago.

1990 Swift 'Corniche' 12/2 aka BXClub HQ.
Honda Firestorm. Gone, but not forgotten.
2015 Triumph Tiger Explorer XC.
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

I don't have much free time at home - this week I've been spending all the daylight hours splitting firewood for next winter but I did that /\ at work yesterday lunchtime. Like many people I'm 'expected' to work through my lunch break (although they don't mind the odd bit of internet usage (like now!) so long as the work gets done i.e. I stay later) but I'm buggered if I'm doing that any more (long story). So if I head to the workshop and do a bit of soldering during my breaks, it appears as though I'm still working hard - I get things done and everyone's happy!
Might be able to knock up some switches to order - I've just bought some 3mm green LEDs which already have a current limiting resistor built into the case. That should make things easier. The one-touch switch might be a bit more fiddly though, and I only have one spare of those. Watch this space!

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
mds141
Over 2k

Post by mds141 »

Very illuminating! :D
Mark Smith

1989 BX GTi 16 valve. Blanc Alpine. Completed the Citroen Classic Challenge Ecosse and 1337 miles without a hitch.

mds141
Over 2k

Post by mds141 »

One good thing about being a HGV driver(not a great deal of positives I admit), is that, by European law you have to have an uninterrupted break of at least 45 mins after 4.5 hrs of driving. Feet up and read the paper time! 8)
Mark Smith

Mickey taker
Over 2k

Post by Mickey taker »

its ok Mat I dont need a 1 touch [yet] although that s something else I would like to do, I just need the three front switches , drivers, passenger and driver side passenger window switch, I dont mind sending you my old switches once they have been swapped so that your stock dosent run low, plus beer tokens of course
1991 BX Meteor 1.6

light travels faster than sound, thats why you look intelligent and then you spoil it all by opening your mouth !!!!!
Paul296
Over 2k
My Cars: Citroen BX 17 TZD Hurricane
Citroen BX 17 TGD

Post by Paul296 »

I'd love illuminated window switches; as it's a reversible mod (presumably?) it wouldn't compromise my 'factory spec' neurosis too much (! :shock: ). If you're considering a little cottage industry Mat - I'd be very interested.
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

Reversible in that you could put the standard switches back in, or at a pinch desolder the LEDs. But the only time it will look different is at night with the ignition on.
Once the new LEDs arrive I'll see how long it takes to solder them in - I'm hoping for a more even illumination with a smaller light source as I'll be able to mount it centrally. If it doesn't take too long I'm happy to knock some more up for other light minded people...
Mark wrote:One good thing about being a HGV driver (not a great deal of positives I admit)
It doesn't sound too bad from reading your other thread!

1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

Well, I've managed it on one switch so far. An extremely fiddly job, in fact I'm even having second thoughts about doing any more switches! Maybe I'm just ham fisted though? A single 3mm LED didn't seem bright enough, so I had to put two in. This leaves little space for a soldering iron, which accidentally contacted the casing a few times. Also, to get sufficient heat into the pressed metal parts of the swich to melt the solder, the plastic casing was softening too!

Starting to think I should perhaps invest in a digital camera, or at the least a mobile phone with a macro setting on the camera!

The other thing I've been modifying recently (I had a day off yesterday to watch the Olympic torch go past so a bit of spare time) is the interior lights. There are some times when I want the doors open but don't want the lights draining the battery i.e. when working on it or while listening to music when camping. So I've added a discreet switch which disables the door pin switches.

1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

If you want to make up some more illuminated switches, put me down for a couple of sets in green?????
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

Nice one on disabling the interior lights. I can switch them off on the Mk1 but not on the Mk2. Conversely, I guess I can't just turn them on permanently in the Mk1 but I consider that no great loss.
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

Seems like most modern cars have a timer which cuts them off after a period of time but that can be equally unhelpful as it removes your choice in the matter. I've just realised that it would be a dead simple job to put in an on/off/on switch instead of the one I've used, so that you can have all 3 choices from one switch.

1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

Phase 2 of this upgrade could also include one of those fancy dimmer switches. How posh would you feel then?
Wooscary
BXpert

Post by Wooscary »

Mood lighting in a car! :D
Matt H
1K Away

Post by Matt H »

Interesting. The orange switches would have suited my 16v before I reverted to green dials!

On a slightly similar note, one thing I'm currently trying to work out is how to make the one touch work on the passenger side... It's got a one touch module on both sides. The passenger side window works independently, but there's no way of controlling it from the drivers side. I have a spare switch for the drivers side, but obviously need to adapt the loom to make it work. Some people might ask why, I say why not!
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

Wooscary wrote:Mood lighting in a car! :D
My need for mood lighting in a car has diminished as I've grown older! :wink:

Matt, it can be done although I've never looked at the wiring diagram to see exactly what you need to do. I think Vanny has done it though.

1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad