Insert witty title here ...

Tell us about life with your BX, or indeed life in general!
Caffiend
Reluctant BXpert

Re: Insert witty title here ...

Post by Caffiend »

Thanks guys :) - apart from the occasional "moment" it's actually much easier than I thought it would be. I'm sure I'll be psycho evil demon bitch from hell at some point, whether anyone will notice the difference is another matter though. All that rearrangement of dopamine receptors (or whatever the heck it is) in what used to pass for my brain seems to have turned the contents of my head into porridge though. I've done bugger all at work today and managed to leave my keys in the house and lock myself out this evening, entailing an interesting climb over to the back garden as I had luckily already unlocked that door to let the cats out :lol:

The sunroof on my car is now leaking :( Was-once-junkie-extra-cash notwithstanding, I cannot afford anything more this month, what with unexpected octopus on the BX and the Xsara's MOT and a couple repairs due just before next payday. So - Paul, Tim, look away NOW - it's going to have to be an insulating tape temporary repair as soon as the damn thing dries out enough, until I can afford to pay for whatever needs replacing when its stripped out properly. Unfortunately, insulating tape does not come in Triton Green, which is most unreasonable of the manufacturers, but I do have some sober black, rather than yellow and red striped.
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe
1991 TZD hatch (Triton Green)
1992 Hurricane
citsncycles
Over 2k

Post by citsncycles »

The most common cause of sunroof leaks are the drain tubes - either blocked or detached. It may be worth trying to clear them, instructions on the best way are on this site somewhere.
Mike Sims
BX 19RD Estate Mk1 - Timex!
BX 4X4 Estate - Oh god, I've done it again!
BX 17RD MK1 - it called to me!
BX14 TGE, - SOLD
XM Turbo SD,GS Club Estate,Visa 17D Leader,HY Pickup,Dyane Nomad,Dyane 6,2CV AZL,Falcon S,Trabant P50,3x Land Rovers (88" series 1,109" series 2a FFR,series 2a Marshall ambulance),DKW F7, Lambretta LD150 x 1.5,Mobylette SP93,Ural Cossack,Ural M63,CZ 250 Sport,Honda Varadero 125,lots of bicycles & tricycles including (but not only) Sunbeams,Higgins & Bates!
rayfenwick
1K Away

Post by rayfenwick »

Caffiend wrote:You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
Err, who with what word? (excuse my thickness, hang on.... #-o
Caffiend wrote:Today I am mostly eating everything in sight, but am having severe difficulties with the carrot sticks as the effing things won't stay lit.
Have you tried marinading them in LHM over night? :)
Ray

The Fleet (most recent first):
2000 Citroën XM 3.0 24V V6 Exclusive Auto (pre-MOT)
1997 Citroën XM 2.0 TCT Exclusive Auto (for sale)
1979 Citroën CX 2.4 EI Cmatic Prestige (slowly being restored)

1992 Alfa Romeo 164 Lusso 3.0 v6 12v Manual (on the to-do list)

www.citroencarclub.co.uk
mds141
Over 2k

Post by mds141 »

LHM does indeed burn well, as we discovered in Interlaken!!
Mark Smith

Is it just me or is everything shit?

1989 BX GTi 16 valve. Blanc Alpine. Completed the Citroen Classic Challenge Ecosse and 1337 miles without a hitch.
2000 XM VSX 2.1 td Auto. Rouge Magenta.
TGD saloon many years ago.

1990 Swift 'Corniche' 12/2 aka BXClub HQ.
Honda Firestorm. Gone, but not forgotten.
2015 Triumph Tiger Explorer XC.
Defender110
Over 2k
My Cars: Land Rover Discovery Series 1 200tdi 3 door
Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5
2020 Fiat Panda cross 4x4 twin air.

Post by Defender110 »

The sunroof leaking is indeed normally blocked drain tubes. The sunroof is not designed to be watertight, any rain that gets past the seals is designed to drain away through drain tubes attached to each corner or the sunroof cassette. The rear drain tubes are accessed from behind the back light clusters when removed (one x quick release clip in the boot), the front drain tubes come out in the front inner wing area near the sill just behind the mud flaps if fitted.
Open your sun roof and blow up each tube with compressed air from the bottom of each drain tube to clear them. If this doesn't cure the problem the tube mounting points may have corroded where they attach to the cassette.
If you haven't got access to a compressor the tyre inflator at nyour local petrol station might work.
Kevan
1997 Mercedes C230 W202
2003 Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5 - Daily driver / hobby days and camping.
1993 Land Rover Discovery 200tdi Series 1 3 door - in need of TLC
2020 Fiat Panda 4x4 Cross Twin Air.
Caffiend
Reluctant BXpert

Post by Caffiend »

Defender110 wrote: Open your sun roof ...
Thanks both, but therein ^ lies the problem. The sunroof is - I believe the technical term is - knackered. Switches don't work, keep fit opening mechanism doesn't work - the thing is totally seized :( I will give it another go on Saturday as it's going to be dry.

LHM marinade sounds nummy, wonder if all those loverly minerals will stave off osteoperosis? (sp? - wtf)
1992 Hurricane
rayfenwick
1K Away

Post by rayfenwick »

I dunno about osteoporosis, but it would certainly fix constipation :)
Ray

www.citroencarclub.co.uk
docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Post by docchevron »

the cables can corrode and stick. The only proper cure is to drop the cassette and strip it down, not for the feint hearted it's a 2 person job really, at least putting it back in is!

have you tried gently pushing on the glass whilst turning the handle of doom? oh, and you have moved the lock bar before trying to manually open it right?
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
Caffiend
Reluctant BXpert

Post by Caffiend »

Thanks doc, think you've put your finger on it - and yes, got a buddy to try pushing down on the glass while I failed to turn the handle. There is something broken in there as the roof doesn't sit quit flat - it's a couple of mm proud at the front and has been since I got it, but has only recently started actually leaking. After sunshine early this morning, it's looking decidedly black out there now: keeping fingers crossed that BBC weren't lying, I really need to get it all dried out so I can do a temp fix on it.

Thanks for the warning about it being a 2 person job too - please may I come and annoy you at the ICCCR? 8)

In other news (shit, I do that as well :lol: ) - Day 9. Intense, but momentary "damn, I could murder a cigarette" thoughts, but been mostly grinning my head off through (yet another :? ) "interesting" work week because once I've had my first cup of coffee and something to eat in the mornings I've more energy than I've had in years :D I've even thought about exercise :shock:
1992 Hurricane
Defender110
Over 2k
My Cars: Land Rover Discovery Series 1 200tdi 3 door
Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5
2020 Fiat Panda cross 4x4 twin air.

Post by Defender110 »

Doh i've just scrapped a perfectly good complete sunroof cassette / roof lining cos nobody wanted it!
Kevan
1997 Mercedes C230 W202
2003 Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5 - Daily driver / hobby days and camping.
1993 Land Rover Discovery 200tdi Series 1 3 door - in need of TLC
2020 Fiat Panda 4x4 Cross Twin Air.
Caffiend
Reluctant BXpert

Post by Caffiend »

eeee - I didn't even see it advertised, how could I have missed it?

EDIT - as someone less scatty than I evidently am will probably suggest it, have just PM'd Paul in case the ones on the pile that he and Shaun are breaking are available/serviceable!
1992 Hurricane
rayfenwick
1K Away

Post by rayfenwick »

I think you're doing great. ???????! :)
Ray

www.citroencarclub.co.uk
docchevron

Post by docchevron »

Caffiend wrote:Thanks for the warning about it being a 2 person job too - please may I come and annoy you at the ICCCR? 8)
you'd have to try very hard, I have no intention of going!

if the glass is sitting proud at the front lip then it'll need adjusting on the screws that attach the glass tot he side frames. the adjustment on the cables really only effects the back end of the glass.

Bear in mind, unless you want to break the cassette the roof needs to be slid back to get to the 2 torx screws that run into the roof on the front edge. so it'll have to be opened before you can drop the cassette.
I've come across some VERY well stuck sunroof's before now, but never failed to open them yet, even SMiffy's which had broken the steel top covers over the cables and jammed the roof. it's all about knowing where to hit it, and how hard!

EDIT: that said, I'm on hols for 2 weeks now, I have a fair bit on, as seems to be the norm, but if you find yourself near Stroud at some point I'll whip it out and beat it into submission...

FURTHER EDIT: I meant the cassette, just to clarify...

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
Caffiend
Reluctant BXpert

Post by Caffiend »

docchevron wrote:... even SMiffy's which had broken the steel top covers over the cables and jammed the roof. it's all about knowing where to hit it, and how hard!
That's encouraging, 'cos after having a good peer and leaning a bit on the lining to see if I could see the cables, this happened:

They're all out of the runners by the looks of it :(

Sadly unlikely to be found in Stroud as I've no plans to visit family (nr Cheltenham) in the immediate future. Enjoy your oliday though!
1992 Hurricane
docchevron

Post by docchevron »

ahh, that'll be broke then! I dont have a spare complete cassette, but I think I have some cables and lids...