BX fail

Tell us about life with your BX, or indeed life in general!
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

Blimey. Not sure the bypass existed the last time I was in the area! Used to live in Kings Heath and bought my first 2CV in Cotteridge.
Mike E (uk)
1K Away

Post by Mike E (uk) »

Back on the K&N filter topic, with injected cars, you can simply fit them in place of the original filter.

But with a carb engine, the mixture sometimes needs to be adjusted by changing a carb jet.

I don't know about diesel engines.

I have been using K&N filters on several of my cars for at least 2 decades, and never had a problem with them.

Mike
la BX 16 soupapes: sachez apprecier avec moderation.

It might be clever now, but it won't be in the morning!
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

Changed the standard air cleaning apparatus for a slicker Jetex short pipe and cone filter on the 19TGD and it has made a pretty positive difference. No other adjustment required.
• 1992 Citroen BX TZD Turbo Hurricane
• 2006 Xsara Picasso 1.6 16v
citsncycles
Over 2k

Post by citsncycles »

weirdly older cars seem to fare better (less power? Lighter?).
I think narrower tyres make a difference too.[/quote]
Mike Sims
BX 19RD Estate Mk1 - Timex!
BX 4X4 Estate - Oh god, I've done it again!
BX 17RD MK1 - it called to me!
BX14 TGE, - SOLD
XM Turbo SD,GS Club Estate,Visa 17D Leader,HY Pickup,Dyane Nomad,Dyane 6,2CV AZL,Falcon S,Trabant P50,3x Land Rovers (88" series 1,109" series 2a FFR,series 2a Marshall ambulance),DKW F7, Lambretta LD150 x 1.5,Mobylette SP93,Ural Cossack,Ural M63,CZ 250 Sport,Honda Varadero 125,lots of bicycles & tricycles including (but not only) Sunbeams,Higgins & Bates!
Willy
BXpert

Post by Willy »

The snow's practically melted here already, although tbf we only had about three inches. Still, the Daily Mail and BAA are sensationalising this into some apocalyptic travel scenario... sigh. Our neighbours are having great fun, though, in their recent investment of an old Subaru Justy with mud tyres and a snorkel.
Changed the standard air cleaning apparatus for a slicker Jetex short pipe and cone filter on the 19TGD and it has made a pretty positive difference. No other adjustment required.
Surely with a diesel moving to a slightly higher-slow air system would if anything reduce the chance of black smoke, but a petrol with no flow sensor, yes, I imagine would require mixture setting adjustment to stop it going to lean.
ImageImageImageImageImage
Willy
BXpert

Post by Willy »

Long early morning commute today, when the engine had warmed up I idled at a healthy 650-700ish. After an hour or so's driving, shot up to about 1300. Grr, as I was in stationary traffic for alot of the time. I assume this is the throttle stuck open, as has been mentioned elsewhere? Carb cleaner?
Willy
BXpert

Post by Willy »

...and I think the radiator bottom hose has sprung a leak. Bugger!
Willy
BXpert

Post by Willy »

No friends on this thread for a while :( so a below average picture and quick update:

The Neale-mobile is enjoying motorway driving (although is still without aircon which was a sweaty delight in last week's heatwave), soaking up 600 miles in the past couple of days.

Only problems other than the odd squeak or rattle are still:

Leaky radiator bottom hose

Still fast idling (about 1100-1300) when hot. One for Mick, Brian and da petrol crewage to advise on :)
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

That's a beauty ... :)
• 1992 Citroen BX TZD Turbo Hurricane
• 2006 Xsara Picasso 1.6 16v
Paul296
Over 2k
My Cars: Citroen BX 17 TZD Hurricane
Citroen BX 17 TGD

Post by Paul296 »

Philip Chidlow wrote:That's a beauty ... :)
..that_ Athena's are lovely and that's a NICE one 8)
Willy
BXpert

Re: BX fail

Post by Willy »

Token pointless update...

Hydraulics lights has been taking a few more seconds than usual to go out recently, puzzling, and the "it's getting a bit too hot" light came on briefly on the motorway today. Other than that quite uneventful.

In other news I graduated today so say hello to Willy MEng :)

In my respective first to fourth years I went from a 2:1 to a 2:2 to a 3rd then to a 1st in my finals - clearly applying yourself is an acquired thing!
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

Hmm if its getting hot whilst moving sounds to me that theres something wrong, or were you stationary?
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
Caffiend
Reluctant BXpert

Post by Caffiend »

Congrats Willy, the world is now your lobster (or other shellfish of choice).

Hope the Athena niggles are relatively easy to resolve - don't think I've posted on your blog before, but will add me support to the chorus of "pritty car"!
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe
1991 TZD hatch (Triton Green)
1992 Hurricane
Willy
BXpert

Post by Willy »

Roverman wrote:Hmm if its getting hot whilst moving sounds to me that theres something wrong, or were you stationary?
Came on after my A42 layby wazz in a bush, so car stationary and switched off! strange. Was near Ashby or wherever it is you live so you could have came to rescue me 8)

And car no longer pritty! Parked under a tree and looked out the window this morning to see the local flying rats have left their mark! :evil:
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

Willy wrote:
Roverman wrote:Hmm if its getting hot whilst moving sounds to me that theres something wrong, or were you stationary?
Came on after my A42 layby wazz in a bush, so car stationary and switched off! strange. Was near Ashby or wherever it is you live so you could have came to rescue me 8)

And car no longer pritty! Parked under a tree and looked out the window this morning to see the local flying rats have left their mark! :evil:

Indeed! not far from me, did the fan not cut in? It should before the warning lamps come on....
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....