Mk1 BX 19RD Estate RHD! A new home

A place for us to show off our cars in all their glory. Please keep picture sizes to about 800x600 pixels.
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Re: Mk1 BX 19RD Estate RHD!

Post by Dollywobbler »

Haven't done much with this lately. It comes out once a week for a quick drive to make sure everything is working (or at least, that nothing has STOPPED working given that quite a lot doesn't work anyway!) and that's about it.

I did get it out to check the engine mountings today. The sump is really REALLY close to a member that goes from bulkhead to front crossmember. The Mk2 doesn't have this. I thought maybe the mountings were sagging but jacking up the engine just lifts the whole car, so perhaps not.

Enthusiasm for this one is a bit low at the moment I must admit. It's meant to be attending the ICCCCCCR but I'm not 100% sure about that as it still needs quite a bit of fettling really. Tax is up at the end of August and I'm seriously considering going for the SORN option (though I'd then need to re-tax it for the NEC in November. Still a saving!)
Jayboy
BXpert

Post by Jayboy »

Have you not laid your new boot floor lining yet? Or tried the hydraulic pump....
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

The gt is the same, hardly any space between the engine and the cross member.
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

Ah, thanks Tim. Took it for a good long drive today, for the first time in ages. For all its many, many faults, it did get me there and back and in relative comfort! Could do with some spheres though...

I need to sort the sticky starter out as well as it refused to start after I'd picked up what I'd gone out to collect. Fortunately I'd parked on a hill but it was a bit embarrassing having to obviously bump start my car in front of quite a lot of startled pedestrians! Certainly makes sure you don't stall when you're not sure if you can restart...

Justin - no, I am fail. the load floor cover is still in the 'wrong' BX as is the pump! Got family coming so won't get chance to fit them for a while. Hopefully before the deliciously named Shitefest on 14th July...
MULLEY
Over 2k
My Cars: 1999 Xsara LX 2.0HDI (90) Hatch - Fern
2002 C5 2.0 HDI (110) Estate - Jasmine - SORN
2011 Mini Cooper D Clubman - SOLD
2016 Mercedes A180D Sport - Auto refinement
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - SORN
1992 TZD Turbo Estate - SORN
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired - SORN
1990 Gti 8Valve SOLD - looks like it's been scrapped
2002 Mini Cooper S - SOLD - i miss this car
1992 TXD - Scrapped in March 2014
1988 CX 25 GTI Turbo2 - SORN
1996 - AX Memphis 1.5D - Dream - SORN

Post by MULLEY »

Apparently bump starting a diesel is a bit of a nono as it can shatter the clutch :( I'm hoping that the humble BX hasn't got enough torque in the system to actually damage clutches? I've had to bump mine before with willing BX volunteers on a convoy a couple of years ago, thank gawd everyone was there including Kevan who came to my assistance a couple of times on the journey down. The alternator had packed up & then it was the bx gang (doc, vanny etc...) who found me some 2nd hand alternators & fitted the only working one out of three, what an adventure that was, haha, & it's still on the car & working fine, even though it was the roughest looking & feeling one out of the whole lot :)
2002 C5 2.0 HDI Estate - Jasmine - Now SORN
2011 Mini Cooper D Clubman - SOLD
2016 Mercedes A180D Sport - Auto refinement
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - My daily
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired.
1990 Gti 8Valve SOLD - looks like it's been scrapped
2002 Mini Cooper S - SOLD - i miss this car
1992 TXD - Scrapped in March 2014
1988 CX 25 GTI Turbo2 - SORN
1996 - AX Memphis 1.5D - Dream - SORN

I'm not just a username, i'm also called Matthew.
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

I've heard that rumour too Mulley. I've bump started both of my BXs and haven't managed to shatter a clutch yet. I think if you're smooth about it, you'll probably get away with it. Some people have a habit of just releasing the clutch sharply when bump starting, which isn't a very good idea in the first place - diesel or not.
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

Bump starting theoretically can break the straps holding the pressure plate to the cover, and there is obviously more torque involved starting a diesel. But I've bump started diesels more times than I can remember, and never had a problem, nor do I know anyone who's seen it happen first hand.

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
Defender110
Over 2k
My Cars: Land Rover Discovery Series 1 200tdi 3 door
Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5
2020 Fiat Panda cross 4x4 twin air.

Post by Defender110 »

I'm afraid I don't hold with this theory; Over the years I have bumped started literally hundreds of diesels including tow starting many many HGV's and never once shattered a clutch. No doubt once upon a time when someone bumped started a diesel with an already damaged or worn clutch it gave way and became the fault of the diesel engine with the tale spreading :^o
Kevan
1997 Mercedes C230 W202
2003 Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5 - Daily driver / hobby days and camping.
1993 Land Rover Discovery 200tdi Series 1 3 door - in need of TLC
2020 Fiat Panda 4x4 Cross Twin Air.
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

I've actually been in a coach that was bump started. Chap stalled it pulling away, but had momentum, so just released the clutch again. It was nicely done - I think he was annoyed that I noticed!
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

Winnah!

The BX and I attended Shitefest this weekend, which isn't a toilet fetish but a field full of 'crap' cars such as Lancia Betas (many of them!), a Toyota Starlet, a Simca 1500 and a Hyundai Pony just to name a few. My BX picked up the award for crappest car there, which is some achievement! Not a slight on the BX, just the shambolic state of mine.

I was quite pleased with it at first as it coped with the drive to Wiltshire just fine - apart from a loose fuse for the windscreen wiper causing some stress. Easily sorted. However, it was clonking and banging so much by the time I got home that I'm not driving it again until I find out what on earth the problem is. The clutch began to judder hideously but it was also clonking when I braked. Something is quite seriously not right. Mix in it's appalling potential for leakage (engine fluids out, rainwater in) and I don't rate its chances of making it to Harrogate. Good job I've got a spare BX...
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

Had a quick look at the BX today. It's barely moved since the above event. I think the clunking from the front end might well be a knackered steering rack. Love for this car (and ability to pay for further work) utterly diminished. I shall advertise it at ICCCR and see if anyone fancies taking it on. If I get back without any interest in it, I'll just have to lob it on Ebay and see what happens.
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

I have a new steering rack you can have cheap.....
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

Cheap is still to much at the moment. This is why any work on it just isn't happening. Maybe I should just drop the entire front subframe and stuff the Green Tiger's subframe in. That'd improve things dramatically! Sounds easy enough...
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

Pathetic progress. A new flasher can arrived from France today. The Mk1 has indicators again. They flash very quickly now. Novel but good! They were horrifically slow, which is why I tried to tweak the bi-metallic bender (but then broke it).
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Re: Mk1 BX 19RD Estate RHD! A new home

Post by Dollywobbler »

My time with the Mk1 has come to an end. It's been a very interesting experience, but a massive dose of project fatigue and a lack of cash forced me to concede defeat. Happily, citsandcycles seems an ideal new owner. After all, he already owns a delightfully shabby GS estate! (which is now considerably more solid than it looks).

It was a slightly sad drive to Mike's and frustratingly for me, the BX was driving really rather nicely! I spent many a moment watching the fantastic speedometer. I will miss that. It's how all speedometers should be. It was rattling from the front end quite horribly by the time I got to Mike's, but it might well just be an anti-roll bar link. I can't think of much else it could be. It may be down on power, but it still sat at an indicated 80mph (actually only 73mph) on the motorway. I look forward to watching Mike's progress - feel free to keep this thread going if you like Mike!