Paul's polishin' blog

Tell us about life with your BX, or indeed life in general!
Paul296
Over 2k
My Cars: Citroen BX 17 TZD Hurricane
Citroen BX 17 TGD

Re: Paul's polishin' blog

Post by Paul296 »

Philip Chidlow wrote: at the moment
I think that's the operative bit Phil :?:
Xemes
BXpert

Post by Xemes »

Need my 8)
happyly it will not rain at your's for the next 16 days :mrgreen: , no dust expected neither [-X
So the Hurricane is ready to go :D
Development must go through simplification
1986 BX 16 RS 9 000 miles bleu romantique
1987 BX 16 TRS automatic white 50 000 miles
Paul296
Over 2k
Citroen BX 17 TGD

Post by Paul296 »

Xemes wrote:Need my 8)
happyly it will not rain at your's for the next 16 days :mrgreen: , no dust expected neither [-X
So the Hurricane is ready to go :D
If you could send out some of those Gallic good wishes to whoever controls the weather Chris, that would be much appreciated - it worked wonders with the MOT! [-o< The Hurricane is kept under cover so hopefully birds/wind/rain/trees etc. ( :evil: ) won't be able to ruin all my hard work.
Caffiend
Reluctant BXpert

Post by Caffiend »

^ That's impressive. What's the 'wear' like on the bars - how many times do you reckon you'll be able to use it? Also, are the packages likely to be of the irritating type where you run out of one thing (bar/lubricant) waaaay before you run out of the other?
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe
1991 TZD hatch (Triton Green)
1992 Hurricane
Paul296
Over 2k
Citroen BX 17 TGD

Post by Paul296 »

If you can use water as a lubricant as Kevan suggested that makes things a lot cheaper and means you don't run out of lubricant while the clay is still fresh. Mine got quite grimy from just half a panel so I just folded it to a fresh bit. With one bar I reckon you could do 2 - 3 cars before the clay was too mucky to be useful. The detailer in the kit would probably last for just one car. It's not an operation you'd have to repeat that often I wouldn't have thought: it probably takes quite a while for a significant amount of muck to build up. I should think the effect is cumulative as well: I could probably have pulled off more dirt if I'd repeated the process - which I won't be doing . . . yet :wink:
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

Bilt Hamber do a clay bar where they specifically state water is the lubricant - whether that is any different to 'normal' ones I don't know. Need a rather large one for the van...

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
saintjamesy89
1K Away
My Cars: 1985 Citroen BX19 GT
198x Citroen BX16 TRS auto
1988 Volvo 740 2.0 GL Hearse
1991 Saab 900 16v convertible
2007 Lexus RX 400h SE

Post by saintjamesy89 »

OOh, just look at that finish! I may have to ask for a clay bar and accessories for my (coming soon!) birthday - that way I don't have to buy it myself, hehe! Although, doubtless someone (mentioning no names, especially not my mothers) will moan I'm asking for car stuff again. Are the different brand bars much of a muchness, or is there 'good' or better one to have?
I'm not a Saint, or a James, but a Tom Saint-James!

Mes voitures:
1985 Citroen BX19 GT
2006 Lexus RX 400h SE hybrid
Paul296
Over 2k
Citroen BX 17 TGD

Post by Paul296 »

saintjamesy89 wrote: Are the different brand bars much of a muchness, or is there 'good' or better one to have?
I just bought the cheapest (Macguires - 15 quid) worked fine. The Bilt Hamber one Mat mentioned might be worth looking out for as you use water instead of detailer. Although the detailer seems to be a cleaning agent as well so 'cleans as it shines' - as they say 8)
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

The BH ones seem even cheaper, so I'll probably give one a go and report back. I'm not going to be much of a judge though, never having used one before!

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
Defender110
Over 2k
My Cars: Land Rover Discovery Series 1 200tdi 3 door
Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5
2020 Fiat Panda cross 4x4 twin air.

Clay bar warning

Post by Defender110 »

They are a great little product and I use th BH ones which are excellent but as per their instructions; If you drop the bar on the ground it is basically scrap and needs to be thrown away as it will have collected grit and may become a brillo pad.
Kevan
1997 Mercedes C230 W202
2003 Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5 - Daily driver / hobby days and camping.
1993 Land Rover Discovery 200tdi Series 1 3 door - in need of TLC
2020 Fiat Panda 4x4 Cross Twin Air.
Paul296
Over 2k
Citroen BX 17 TGD

Post by Paul296 »

Looks like the Bilt-Hamber ones are the ones to go for according to Auto-Express . . .

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/accessorie ... -bars-test" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/accessorie ... -clay-soft" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Paul296
Over 2k
Citroen BX 17 TGD

Post by Paul296 »

I thought I'd post these up while I remember. I arrived at Sandre's for the Paris trip on the Friday morning, and as we had a few hours too spare we had a drive over to Rob Moss's to have a nosey round his yard. The man himself wasn't in attendance - apparently he'd buggered off to Paris for some Citroen related shindig at the Aulnay factory (!?). Lot's of nice G series cars (as you'd expect) and his rather nice - and newly acquired - 16 TRS, that looks to be in the process of 'getting sorted'.

Mark arriving at Sandres for the Paris trip. They are VERY tidy speedlines on his Valver.

Talking of speedlines - Tim's newly acquired Anthracite's for his TRS. As the rims were rather bashed about Tim asked me to do a bit of rimming for him *. Anyway, all repaired, primed and ready for paint and lacquer now.

My TGD alloys just need the rest of the black bits painting - then they're done (at last :shock: )

Last but not least, a couple of pics of Tim's rather lovely TZi auto. After dropping off the wheels we (well, when I say 'we' I mean 'Tim') sorted out a few 'issues' on the Hurricanes drivers door and had a go at replacing the clutch cable in the hope that the rather stiff clutch isn't a knackered clutch. It is though ( :( ). Rang Malcolm Lockwood this morning and he happened to have Valeo TZD clutch in stock for £70 plus VAT and delivery. Once the tax runs out at the end of the month the Hurricane is being laid up for the winter - and getting a new clutch.

* what? :shock:
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

Coo you dont hang about! Cheers!!

The TZI hasnt been cleaned since the X Rally though and although not filthy is rather dusty and needs a good wash.
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
saintjamesy89
1K Away
My Cars: 1985 Citroen BX19 GT
198x Citroen BX16 TRS auto
1991 Saab 900 16v convertible
2007 Lexus RX 400h SE

Post by saintjamesy89 »

Tim Leech wrote:Coo you dont hang about! Cheers!!

The TZI hasnt been cleaned since the X Rally though and although not filthy is rather dusty and needs a good wash.
It's still (in my opinion) one of the most desirable, nicest looking BX's i've ever seen though. Well, that is until my GT is sorted :lol:

Can't beat a bit of rimming Paul :oops: (sorry, had to!) I do look forward to seeing those lovely alloys finished, and on the TGD - talking of lovely BX's...
I'm not a Saint, or a James, but a Tom Saint-James!

Mes voitures:
1985 Citroen BX19 GT
2006 Lexus RX 400h SE hybrid
Paul296
Over 2k
Citroen BX 17 TGD

Post by Paul296 »

Yeah well, it was a double-entendre waiting to happen wasn't it!! :D

That TZi is a lovely drive - if you drive diesels all the time you can forget what petrol responsiveness and refinement is like - the auto feels a bit weird to begin with though.