MK1 GT damage borderline terminal

A place for us to show off our cars in all their glory. Please keep picture sizes to about 800x600 pixels.
B-Hive
BXpert

MK1 GT damage borderline terminal

Post by B-Hive »

Alas ...As it seems that you cant add attachments to other forums and other image facilities are boring, I thought I'd post the latest pix of the poor GT..

Although as much as I was aware that the thump the car took was nasty, the damage could have almost been cosmetic,,Not the case as today I removed the bumper to move the car to discover internal damage that which ever way i looked at it was not going to be simple to fix.

The bumper is salvageable with plastic welding, BUT the front corner substructure needs an accurate pull and considerable panel work to get it straight.. :(

Just when I thought that I had found all the damage I kept on seeing more misalignment in all 3 dimensions.

So she will need a pull both out and up, as well as panel straightening for every panel that intersects this corner...and I really don't know how practicable that is financially. She will most likely be written off this time (and not the soft "repairable write off" either)...So it now comes down to the cars value. I have a fair idea I know what they'll offer me, but should I negotiate much higher but shy of what it would cost to actually repair her? Repair bill would be $4k... last valuation was about $3k.. How do you account for hours spent getting this as sorted as a fairly new car, despite that I would not want a fairly new car...!!!

Crumple zones worked their magic, but to the ultimate demise of the whole car..amazed that even with the whole light weightness of the BX these important sections are made from some seriously decent metal. The BX is so under rated for so many reasons and this is just one of them.. SAFETY...(remembers..it was a freakin big thump)
Attachments
This is what greeted me when I removed the bumper
This is what greeted me when I removed the bumper
The horizontal has been pushed in and down (upper) and in and up (lower)
The horizontal has been pushed in and down (upper) and in and up (lower)
Current
85 BX GT Mk1..
86 BX TRS Mk1
87 BX TRi

Gone
85 BX TRS mk1 auto... SOLD
90 BX TRi..parts....cubed
citsncycles
Over 2k

Re: MK1 GT damage borderline terminal

Post by citsncycles »

Some of those parts (bumper reinforcing, headlamp panel) are still available here - not sure about MK1 wings, though I suppose at a push a MK2 one could be modified to fit. God know what the shipping cost will be though :shock:
Mike Sims
BX 19RD Estate Mk1 - Timex!
BX 4X4 Estate - Oh god, I've done it again!
BX 17RD MK1 - it called to me!
BX14 TGE, - SOLD
XM Turbo SD,GS Club Estate,Visa 17D Leader,HY Pickup,Dyane Nomad,Dyane 6,2CV AZL,Falcon S,Trabant P50,3x Land Rovers (88" series 1,109" series 2a FFR,series 2a Marshall ambulance),DKW F7, Lambretta LD150 x 1.5,Mobylette SP93,Ural Cossack,Ural M63,CZ 250 Sport,Honda Varadero 125,lots of bicycles & tricycles including (but not only) Sunbeams,Higgins & Bates!
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

A cheap/bodge solution might be to fit the wing however you can (maybe adding new supports if the existing ones are in the wrong position), and just cobble together brackets to get the headlamp/bumper roughly in the right place. Not what I'd do by choice, but if that was the only realistic option I might...

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

Thats mendable! you may be able to do something with that wing, they are very flimsy and may be able to be straightened to a degree once off the car.

Indicators and lamps are easily sourceable.
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
Kitch
Over 2k
My Cars: Too many to list

Post by Kitch »

That's really not that bad, is it :?:
One third of a three-spoke BX columnist team for the Citroenian magazine.

CCC BX registrar: The national BX register - click to submit a car!

1983(A) 16TRS (Rouge Valleunga)
1990(H) 16Valve (Rouge Furio)
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

Kitch wrote:That's really not that bad, is it :?:

I expected much worse myself, my own GT wasnt much better when i got her.
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Post by docchevron »

is that all? You could pull that lot out with some decent stilsons and a strap affixed to something solid. My TD was far worse than that, in the same corner actually, and I pulled it out with a ratchet strap and a tree.. Took 30 minutes..
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
toddao
BXpat

Post by toddao »

I've just cut the front end off an '85 TRD - might be a bit impractical to send such a lump of old tin half way round the world though! But, as Doc says - looks as though it could be sorted with some leverage and a bit of hammering.
Todd

this yellow writing is really hard to read
B-Hive
BXpert

Post by B-Hive »

Thanks for the words of encouragement guys... (I still think its a mess of straightening to do though :? ..

Good news is that I have been able to source the (external) parts "locally", Adelaide actually.. Adelaide again how ironic is that?..but hey thats only 1200km away..

Can get a wing for $110 and an indicator for $30 .. Bumper (TRS, that would need the GT over riders swapped over to) for $220 but as I said I think I can salvage the bumper..and now I'll have to ask the same guy if he has the plastic bumper mounting bracket too..

BUT as for the crushed stuff underneath...as the car is now again mobile I can limp it around and see what sort of quotes I can muster for the pull and repair.. Thanks for the "home pull" tips, but its just something I'd prefer to let those who do it every day do.. I can only imagine the frustration of trying to get things aligned with a DIY approach for this job....I know of a place close by that charges only $31/hour for pulling so they may get the job..being under the bumper I guess they dont need to be super fussy in respect to panel straightness.... all comes down to coin..and what the insurance company will do for me..
Current
85 BX GT Mk1..
86 BX TRS Mk1
87 BX TRi

Gone
85 BX TRS mk1 auto... SOLD
90 BX TRi..parts....cubed