Timex and friends

Tell us about life with your BX, or indeed life in general!
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Re: Timex

Post by Dollywobbler »

Hmmm. We definitely replaced one of the balljoints, or is it the lower ones this time? Nowt to serious though. Phew!
citsncycles
Over 2k

Post by citsncycles »

Managed to upload Thursday's pics at last!

Started with an easy one - finishing off the C post!

Then came the tricky bit - the metal surrounding the subframe mount was rotten, but I didn't have time to drop the subframe:

What I've ended up doing is what amounts to a semi temporary repair that should last until I take her off the road for some major work once I have the bodywork completed on the GS (hopefully early spring). First I slipped in an angled repair piece for the inner most face and 'keyhole welded it' from the access hole above and from inside the arch:

I then slid in and welded up a patch on the underside of the 'chassis rail'

Before closing off the inner wing area:

Because of the restricted access, I couldn't remove all the rusty metal, so this comes under the heading 'MOT bodge' I'm afraid, but it should last as long as I need it to, after which it will all be cut out and done again properly.

Next came repairs to the double skinned part of the inner wing, which I cut back to good metal:

A quick roller change on the swager enabled me to easily make up the inner section and weld it in:

The outer section was then repaired after the inner faces of each skin were painted:

Final bit of welding for that day was the passenger side rear footwell, which was previously repaired, but in very poor condition. This is the area with the worst of the rust cut out:

I then simply plated over these holes, as this is another area I plan to revisit, cutting all the old repairs out and replacing it with new metal, shaped like the original section:

The reassembly work in the evening included swapping in the hazard switch from the spare dash, curing the issue with them only working with the ignition on, fitting an interior handle on the rear drivers side door and fiddling with the windscreen washer until it gave at least an approximation of working. No pics of this bit as I was rather preoccupied with getting it ready for the MOT. I also found an issue with the passenger electric window - it's much happier opening than closing! I haven't traced this yet, so have simply disconnected it for now.
Hmmm. We definitely replaced one of the balljoints, or is it the lower ones this time? Nowt to serious though. Phew!
Lowers - although he commented that one looked fairly new ( the advisory side)
Mike Sims
BX 19RD Estate Mk1 - Timex!
BX 4X4 Estate - Oh god, I've done it again!
BX 17RD MK1 - it called to me!
BX14 TGE, - SOLD
XM Turbo SD,GS Club Estate,Visa 17D Leader,HY Pickup,Dyane Nomad,Dyane 6,2CV AZL,Falcon S,Trabant P50,3x Land Rovers (88" series 1,109" series 2a FFR,series 2a Marshall ambulance),DKW F7, Lambretta LD150 x 1.5,Mobylette SP93,Ural Cossack,Ural M63,CZ 250 Sport,Honda Varadero 125,lots of bicycles & tricycles including (but not only) Sunbeams,Higgins & Bates!
citsncycles
Over 2k

Post by citsncycles »

Sorted out a load of the MOT issues today, starting with the rear crossmember:

Removal of the rear bumper showed the full extent of the rot - not as bad as it could have been

After cutting all the rot out, I started by repairing the internal dividers:

The rear panel only needed a small repair:

Then I made up and fitted repair pieces for the crossmember. I changed the design slightly, removing the horizontal joint flange that was a rust trap

It was while doing this that I spotted that the back box needed repairs - a couple of quick plates sorted that out:

Making and fitting a new closing panel one side and repairing the panel the other finished this stage of the welding, which was then painted and undersealed:

I then attacked the doors with a hammer and wire brush to get rid of the loose rust, then taped over them as a temporary fix for the MOT:

Doing this I discovered that the stickers on the front doors (ex Tim's DTR) weren't fitted new, as there was filler under the paint on the passenger door.

Next I looked at the headlamp adjustment, but this turned out to be just a detached mounting.

Finally the bolt capping off the fuel leakback pipe was replaced with a piece of bar and a clamp:

All that's left now is the ball joint, which will be done at Tony Weston's tomorrow
Mike Sims
BX14 TGE, - SOLD
XM Turbo SD,GS Club Estate,Visa 17D Leader,HY Pickup,Dyane Nomad,Dyane 6,2CV AZL,Falcon S,Trabant P50,3x Land Rovers (88" series 1,109" series 2a FFR,series 2a Marshall ambulance),DKW F7, Lambretta LD150 x 1.5,Mobylette SP93,Ural Cossack,Ural M63,CZ 250 Sport,Honda Varadero 125,lots of bicycles & tricycles including (but not only) Sunbeams,Higgins & Bates!
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

Superb. Gaffer tape worked on the doors last year too! Not a long term solution though as the tape just comes back off... (as you'd probably noticed!). That rear crossmember is so much better than the Green Tiger's - BEFORE you welded it!
citsncycles
Over 2k

Post by citsncycles »

Ball joint turned out to be loose in the hub, and screwing it back in sorted it!

The advisory one is clonking though, so I'm ordering a replacement.

Just need to book the retest then sort the tracking
Mike Sims
BX14 TGE, - SOLD
MULLEY
Over 2k
My Cars: 1999 Xsara LX 2.0HDI (90) Hatch - Fern
2002 C5 2.0 HDI (110) Estate - Jasmine - SORN
2011 Mini Cooper D Clubman - SOLD
2016 Mercedes A180D Sport - Auto refinement
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - SORN
1992 TZD Turbo Estate - SORN
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired - SORN
1990 Gti 8Valve SOLD - looks like it's been scrapped
2002 Mini Cooper S - SOLD - i miss this car
1992 TXD - Scrapped in March 2014
1988 CX 25 GTI Turbo2 - SORN
1996 - AX Memphis 1.5D - Dream - SORN

Post by MULLEY »

Wish i could weld :( Excellent blog & piccies Mike, you are a true bxer :)
2002 C5 2.0 HDI Estate - Jasmine - Now SORN
2011 Mini Cooper D Clubman - SOLD
2016 Mercedes A180D Sport - Auto refinement
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - My daily
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired.
1990 Gti 8Valve SOLD - looks like it's been scrapped
2002 Mini Cooper S - SOLD - i miss this car
1992 TXD - Scrapped in March 2014
1988 CX 25 GTI Turbo2 - SORN
1996 - AX Memphis 1.5D - Dream - SORN

I'm not just a username, i'm also called Matthew.
Caffiend
Reluctant BXpert

Post by Caffiend »

I am so looking forward to seeing this car again on Saturday - you have worked wonders already, bet it won't win shed of the show at the next X-rally!
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe
1991 TZD hatch (Triton Green)
1992 Hurricane
citsncycles
Over 2k

Post by citsncycles »

\:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/

It Passed!

\:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/
Mike Sims
BX14 TGE, - SOLD
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

Superb. All the best for the trip now! Must be a car transformed.
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

EXCELLENT NEWS!!!!
• 1992 Citroen BX TZD Turbo Hurricane
• 2006 Xsara Picasso 1.6 16v
mds141
Over 2k

Post by mds141 »

Well done Mike. =D> =D> =D>
Mark Smith

Is it just me or is everything shit?

1989 BX GTi 16 valve. Blanc Alpine. Completed the Citroen Classic Challenge Ecosse and 1337 miles without a hitch.
2000 XM VSX 2.1 td Auto. Rouge Magenta.
TGD saloon many years ago.

1990 Swift 'Corniche' 12/2 aka BXClub HQ.
Honda Firestorm. Gone, but not forgotten.
2015 Triumph Tiger Explorer XC.
Paul296
Over 2k
My Cars: Citroen BX 17 TZD Hurricane
Citroen BX 17 TGD

Post by Paul296 »

:D =D> =D> =D>
citsncycles
Over 2k

Post by citsncycles »

:lol: 8) =D>
Mike Sims
BX14 TGE, - SOLD
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

Excellent news!!!
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
Mickey taker
Over 2k

Post by Mickey taker »

topman , well done
1991 BX Meteor 1.6

light travels faster than sound, thats why you look intelligent and then you spoil it all by opening your mouth !!!!!