Insert witty title here ...

Tell us about life with your BX, or indeed life in general!
MULLEY
Over 2k
My Cars: 1999 Xsara LX 2.0HDI (90) Hatch - Fern
2002 C5 2.0 HDI (110) Estate - Jasmine - SORN
2011 Mini Cooper D Clubman - SOLD
2016 Mercedes A180D Sport - Auto refinement
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - SORN
1992 TZD Turbo Estate - SORN
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired - SORN
1990 Gti 8Valve SOLD - looks like it's been scrapped
2002 Mini Cooper S - SOLD - i miss this car
1992 TXD - Scrapped in March 2014
1988 CX 25 GTI Turbo2 - SORN
1996 - AX Memphis 1.5D - Dream - SORN

Re: Insert witty title here ...

Post by MULLEY »

Sandre, have you fitted your K&N yet? i was wondering what you thought if you had.
2002 C5 2.0 HDI Estate - Jasmine - Now SORN
2011 Mini Cooper D Clubman - SOLD
2016 Mercedes A180D Sport - Auto refinement
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - My daily
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired.
1990 Gti 8Valve SOLD - looks like it's been scrapped
2002 Mini Cooper S - SOLD - i miss this car
1992 TXD - Scrapped in March 2014
1988 CX 25 GTI Turbo2 - SORN
1996 - AX Memphis 1.5D - Dream - SORN

I'm not just a username, i'm also called Matthew.
Caffiend
Reluctant BXpert

Post by Caffiend »

No, it had a new air filter in March so I'll wait until the next change :)
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe
1991 TZD hatch (Triton Green)
1992 Hurricane
Mickey taker
Over 2k

Post by Mickey taker »

mat_fenwick wrote:Just for you Mike, here's a picture of my BALL JOINT protector:

and for the rest of you heres a picture of my ball and joint protector

extra large of course :D
1991 BX Meteor 1.6

light travels faster than sound, thats why you look intelligent and then you spoil it all by opening your mouth !!!!!
saintjamesy89
1K Away
My Cars: 1985 Citroen BX19 GT
198x Citroen BX16 TRS auto
1988 Volvo 740 2.0 GL Hearse
1991 Saab 900 16v convertible
2007 Lexus RX 400h SE

Post by saintjamesy89 »

Hooray for MOT passage darling! Just think, you'll have another year of BX related fun to look forward too ;)
I'm not a Saint, or a James, but a Tom Saint-James!

Mes voitures:
1985 Citroen BX19 GT
1988 Volvo 740 2.0 GL Hearse
2006 Lexus RX 400h SE hybrid
TizzyD
BXpert

Post by TizzyD »

Well done :D =D>
'02 Clio Dynamique 1.2 16v - 92K - Sold
'09 Yamaha YBR 125 - 1100 miles
'93 Bx 17 TZD Turbo - 240K - The Aubergine

Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

Caffiend wrote:So, I just had a call from Rob - the second of the day - my car has PASSED its MOT ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

The bad news is that the high pressure return pipe has decided to spring a leak :roll: - Rob did a temp fix to get it through the MOT, but it'll need replacing. Ah well, these things happen. O/S ball joint - as I suspected - is also on the way out, but will wait a few months (phew!).

HOORAH!!!
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
Caffiend
Reluctant BXpert

Post by Caffiend »

So, I have my green machine back, with ticket for the next 12 months - and NO advisories!

Officially anyway ... Rob has pointed out that the water hoses are all a bit hard (not surprising really after 21 years) so will need to keep an eye on those. And the dreaded tin worm has set in under the front wheelarches - bad enough that wire brushing would make a 'ole :( - it'll wait until next year, but welding will be required. If anyone with the gear fancies doing the work for me, for which I will of course pay for materials and cross your palm with a suitable number of pix of her maj, please drop me a PM and we'll talk.

I must say that it is running SO much better since the LHM filter and tank clean and now, new handbrake cables (so the n/s isn't locking on). Time to get the bumpers done ...

/wanders off muttering something about feckin' money pit.
1992 Hurricane
citsncycles
Over 2k

Post by citsncycles »

I take it the rust in the front arches is under the LHM tank, plus the same spot the other side? Not a difficult job to do TBH, althoug you do sometimes find more to do when the liners are removed.
Mike Sims
BX 19RD Estate Mk1 - Timex!
BX 4X4 Estate - Oh god, I've done it again!
BX 17RD MK1 - it called to me!
BX14 TGE, - SOLD
XM Turbo SD,GS Club Estate,Visa 17D Leader,HY Pickup,Dyane Nomad,Dyane 6,2CV AZL,Falcon S,Trabant P50,3x Land Rovers (88" series 1,109" series 2a FFR,series 2a Marshall ambulance),DKW F7, Lambretta LD150 x 1.5,Mobylette SP93,Ural Cossack,Ural M63,CZ 250 Sport,Honda Varadero 125,lots of bicycles & tricycles including (but not only) Sunbeams,Higgins & Bates!
Caffiend
Reluctant BXpert

Post by Caffiend »

citsncycles wrote:I take it the rust in the front arches is under the LHM tank, plus the same spot the other side? Not a difficult job to do TBH, althoug you do sometimes find more to do when the liners are removed.
Yeah, the usual places. It'll have to wait until spring, so just hope there ain't too much salt on the roads this winter.
1992 Hurricane
citsncycles
Over 2k

Post by citsncycles »

May be worth trying to coat the rusty area with something, to slow down the rust until it can be dealt with.
Mike Sims
BX14 TGE, - SOLD
XM Turbo SD,GS Club Estate,Visa 17D Leader,HY Pickup,Dyane Nomad,Dyane 6,2CV AZL,Falcon S,Trabant P50,3x Land Rovers (88" series 1,109" series 2a FFR,series 2a Marshall ambulance),DKW F7, Lambretta LD150 x 1.5,Mobylette SP93,Ural Cossack,Ural M63,CZ 250 Sport,Honda Varadero 125,lots of bicycles & tricycles including (but not only) Sunbeams,Higgins & Bates!
Caffiend
Reluctant BXpert

Post by Caffiend »

I was wondering that - will make sure it's all clean and dry at least and give it a good blast with the Waxoyl (adds to shopping list) - thanks Mike

In other news, the job I got turned down for at end June is being re-advertised. If they will accept an application, that means that high commute mileage is once again on the horizon and will need to consider a daily driver, hmmm. Let's not cross bridges before they're hatched ... should find out next week if I have a shot.
1992 Hurricane
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

Sandre I would give it a going over with kurust after youve got the surafec off then waxoyl it. Ive used kurust for years and find it very good, its also much cheaper on EBay than Halfrauds.
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
Caffiend
Reluctant BXpert

Post by Caffiend »

I'm a bit concerned that that might leave holes though Tim - Rob recommended against wire brushing, so suspect that kurust/similar would have the same effect?
1992 Hurricane
citsncycles
Over 2k

Post by citsncycles »

Kurust converts the top layer of the rust only, although if you don't wire brus it first it's not going to last long.

As it's going to be repaired properly soon I wouldn't worry too much about making holes. If it's that bad already it's hardy giving any strength to the structure, and you can cover any holes with either fibreglass or by bonding or riveting something over them to keep road spray out.
Mike Sims
BX14 TGE, - SOLD
Caffiend
Reluctant BXpert

Post by Caffiend »

That's it, I'm officially ranting now.

I was signed off work for a month with stress. On my return, in order to manage my workload, I have switched the ringer off on my phone and answer voicemails and work e-mails once a day. So people who ring my boss and whine because I haven't responded instantly (how very dare I not offer them the favour they are ringing to ask for within 24 hours? - if I was a private sector consultant they'd be paying me several 100 quid for that data protection training instead of getting it for free from the NHS) can FUCK OFF*. I have a great boss, her sentiment is the same. Even so ... Gah.

*believe it or not, I'm actually a fairly good and patient trainer/facilitator. Honest!

In car-related news, I decided to get around to changing the holy headlights after the o/s glass finally gave up the ghost at Barry's last week. They had amazingly not been failed at MOT because it was a dry day :lol: - and this is why I get all nervous about doing stuff to my car: one of the sidelight connectors was so corroded that it took an excessive amount of bad language to disconnect and then the bloody thing broke off on the car-side connector. So I have no o/s/f sidelight atm :oops: - must get hold of a new connector. Now the headlights are worth protecting, the headlight protectors are now fitted and look rawther smart :D
1992 Hurricane