Insert witty title here ...

Tell us about life with your BX, or indeed life in general!
citsncycles
Over 2k

Re: Insert witty title here ...

Post by citsncycles »

We have people where I work with the same attitude - everyone must jump for them! 1 in particular doesn't seem to get the message that we'd get more done if we didn't have to spend so much time each day explaining to them that we'd have the work done if we didn't have to keep answering their calls to explain why we haven't done it!
Mike Sims
BX 19RD Estate Mk1 - Timex!
BX 4X4 Estate - Oh god, I've done it again!
BX 17RD MK1 - it called to me!
BX14 TGE, - SOLD
XM Turbo SD,GS Club Estate,Visa 17D Leader,HY Pickup,Dyane Nomad,Dyane 6,2CV AZL,Falcon S,Trabant P50,3x Land Rovers (88" series 1,109" series 2a FFR,series 2a Marshall ambulance),DKW F7, Lambretta LD150 x 1.5,Mobylette SP93,Ural Cossack,Ural M63,CZ 250 Sport,Honda Varadero 125,lots of bicycles & tricycles including (but not only) Sunbeams,Higgins & Bates!
Caffiend
Reluctant BXpert

Post by Caffiend »

So, despite BBC weather saying it would be glorious sunshine all day, it spent the whole day looking as if it was just about to rain. And didn't. So I didn't wash and wax the TZD yesterday, but should have, because today it actually is hossin' it down.

Mind you, it doesn't deserve to be loved at the moment, bloody money pit. Unfortunately, it seems that the o/s/f brake pads are worn down to the metal - the noise started Thursday evening, and I winced every time I had to brake on Friday's excursion to Northamptonshire (and avoided braking as much as I could!). I'm not best pleased as the handbrake cables were only done a few weeks ago and I would have thought Rob would have said if the pads were that low - which I suspect means that the caliper might be binding :(. If Rob can fit it in, will get him to take a look this week. I expect it'll want new discs as well now, although as far as I could tell without taking the wheels off they weren't too damaged. No, I don't have brake pad warning lights, we all know the wires break for a past time and there were more vital things to get repaired.
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe
1991 TZD hatch (Triton Green)
1992 Hurricane
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

Bbc weather is rubbish, rain, drizzle and cold!
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

Nasty Sandre. I know the nearside brake was binding at the tech session but the offside didn't seem to be. If there's a fault with the cable, both pads will probably be worn but if it's a sticky caliper, you'll probably find that just one is worn. That was certainly the case (and still is! Must get some replacement pads...) on my TXD.
Caffiend
Reluctant BXpert

Post by Caffiend »

It's definitely the off-side that's graunching. I got both handbrake cables done a couple weeks after the tech weekend. I haven't noticed any issues with steering or fuel consumption, so if it is a sticky caliper, hopefully it's not binding too hard ...
1992 Hurricane
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

Oddly my TXD showed no signs of binding. When my Maverick had a seized caliper, it pulled to one side in very dramatic fashion. One of the pads on that had worn to the metal and then some!
MULLEY
Over 2k
My Cars: 1999 Xsara LX 2.0HDI (90) Hatch - Fern
2002 C5 2.0 HDI (110) Estate - Jasmine - SORN
2011 Mini Cooper D Clubman - SOLD
2016 Mercedes A180D Sport - Auto refinement
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - SORN
1992 TZD Turbo Estate - SORN
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired - SORN
1990 Gti 8Valve SOLD - looks like it's been scrapped
2002 Mini Cooper S - SOLD - i miss this car
1992 TXD - Scrapped in March 2014
1988 CX 25 GTI Turbo2 - SORN
1996 - AX Memphis 1.5D - Dream - SORN

Post by MULLEY »

If funds are a bit tight Sandre, just remove the slider pins from the caliper & re-grease them, that should hopefully last a while so that you can get a replacement caliper. Oh, & don't use the handbrake, if there is a problem with a sticking caliper then the hanbrake alway's binds it on whereas the footbrake doesn't. Just remember to park your car in gear & don't use the handbrake, takes a while getting used to not using a handbrake, but i'm an expert now, guess why i started doing this......
2002 C5 2.0 HDI Estate - Jasmine - Now SORN
2011 Mini Cooper D Clubman - SOLD
2016 Mercedes A180D Sport - Auto refinement
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - My daily
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired.
1990 Gti 8Valve SOLD - looks like it's been scrapped
2002 Mini Cooper S - SOLD - i miss this car
1992 TXD - Scrapped in March 2014
1988 CX 25 GTI Turbo2 - SORN
1996 - AX Memphis 1.5D - Dream - SORN

I'm not just a username, i'm also called Matthew.
mds141
Over 2k

Post by mds141 »

Parisienne drivers will be used to not using their handbrake!!
Mark Smith

Is it just me or is everything shit?

1989 BX GTi 16 valve. Blanc Alpine. Completed the Citroen Classic Challenge Ecosse and 1337 miles without a hitch.
2000 XM VSX 2.1 td Auto. Rouge Magenta.
TGD saloon many years ago.

1990 Swift 'Corniche' 12/2 aka BXClub HQ.
Honda Firestorm. Gone, but not forgotten.
2015 Triumph Tiger Explorer XC.
Birotor
BXpert

Post by Birotor »

Years ago when I had a C reg 14RE I had a return pipe split at the reservoir on the M4. Topped up with 20/50 and dropped it in at Islington Citroen Trowbridge next day. They emptied it and refilled with LHM - no flushing. Never had a problem.
When I entered my GS 1220 in the re-run of the London - Sydney I took competent advice and the decision was DO NOT CARRY LHM carry only engine oil. I was running on 15W/60 Castrol racing oil and engine oil quality was most important in the temperatures crossing the Iranian deserts. If the worst came to the worst any crap engine oil would go in the hydraulics and next after that the lengths of broom handle for the front struts and wedges for the rear.
1974 GS Birotor, 1972 GS 1220 FIA Gp 2, 1992 BX 16 TGS, 1951 Velo-Solex, 1953 NSU Max 250, 1972 Honda ST50, Daughter has 1990 BX14 TGE
Previously owned include 1983 BX14RE Leader, Porsche 924, 1972 Porsche 911T, 1973 Porsche Carrera RS 2.7 (FIA Group 4), 1974 Porsche Carrera RS 3.0 (FIA Group 4 ex Le Mans), 1969 911 T/R (FIA Group 3 ex Le Mans), 1981 Porsche Group B 3.3 litre World Endurance Championship, 1991 Footwork Arrows Porsche Formula 1 (ex Alboreto & Caffi),
Caffiend
Reluctant BXpert

Post by Caffiend »

The TZD is going to be locked up in disgrace at Rob's tonight - and he'll take a look tomorrow. Hopefully nothing too expensive [-o<
1992 Hurricane
Caffiend
Reluctant BXpert

Post by Caffiend »

So, the TZD is now in jail, for collection tomorrow.

Rather delicious CX 2.5 auto in Delage red having its manifold worked on, to the tune of some swearing and some eye candy in Reception too but bet he's taken or gay, they usually are..

Rob's got a few BXs in this week - didn't recognise the names though, anyone on here?

EDIT - didn't get the job. They've decided that the job description doesn't reflect what they actually want (which explains why the interviews have felt a bit peculiar both times). So although I was *brilliant* (and I quote :roll: ) looks like I'm filling out more applications if I can find the time this week.
1992 Hurricane
Caffiend
Reluctant BXpert

Post by Caffiend »

Front discs and pads
O/S caliper

Even though I knew that, *whimper*

The handbrake bracket also wants welding again (done with cables, but has busted). So dunno if I'll get the car back today.

The job I really really wanted if I didn't get 'that' one has closed applications early. Guess a lot of other people really really wanted it too.
1992 Hurricane
Caffiend
Reluctant BXpert

Post by Caffiend »

So, I have my car back. It even got a compliment from John of the TOC who has had a couple BXs :D. Mind you, it was dark.

The old discs were really ****ed. I should waxoyl the new ones to stop them rusting so badly (and can anyone loan me a left-handed screwdriver?)
1992 Hurricane
mds141
Over 2k

Post by mds141 »

I know where you can go for a long stand!! :-D
Mark Smith

Is it just me or is everything shit?

1989 BX GTi 16 valve. Blanc Alpine. Completed the Citroen Classic Challenge Ecosse and 1337 miles without a hitch.
2000 XM VSX 2.1 td Auto. Rouge Magenta.
TGD saloon many years ago.

1990 Swift 'Corniche' 12/2 aka BXClub HQ.
Honda Firestorm. Gone, but not forgotten.
2015 Triumph Tiger Explorer XC.
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

Give the discs a good soak in 15w40 engine oil. That'll stop them rusting. Stops your brake pads wearing out too. You'll save a fortune!