VNDs 14TGE *MOT PASS!* 22/10/12

A place for us to show off our cars in all their glory. Please keep picture sizes to about 800x600 pixels.
vnd
Confirmed BX'er

Re: VNDs 14TGE

Post by vnd »

Tim Leech wrote:Wheres your knob gone?
Removed for cleaning old bean.

It had about one hundred and sixty thousand miles worth of DNA crusted onto it in thick black scabs.

Its now smooth and clean again. But I wont be able to clone former owners if the technology ever becomes available any more. :roll:
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

I have a spare 16v type...
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
vnd
Confirmed BX'er

Post by vnd »

Tim Leech wrote:I have a spare 16v type...
Forgive my ignorance, but I dont know what they look like. Could you post a pic?
saintjamesy89
1K Away
My Cars: 1985 Citroen BX19 GT
198x Citroen BX16 TRS auto
1988 Volvo 740 2.0 GL Hearse
1991 Saab 900 16v convertible
2007 Lexus RX 400h SE

Post by saintjamesy89 »

:lol: knob picture request! (sorry, couldn't help it, it was too easy)

Also noticed you've got odd rear light units, one looks blue and the other brown/grey. Looks rather nice, my first BX was a TGE, but in the other awesomeist colour (delage red). With a bit of fettling, I reckon this'll look the business :)
I'm not a Saint, or a James, but a Tom Saint-James!

Mes voitures:
1985 Citroen BX19 GT
1988 Volvo 740 2.0 GL Hearse
2006 Lexus RX 400h SE hybrid
mds141
Over 2k

Post by mds141 »

Stunning colour. With some TLC will be a lovely motor. Keep up the good work. And Tom, wrong type of forum for pictures of knobs!! :) 8)
Mark Smith

Is it just me or is everything shit?

1989 BX GTi 16 valve. Blanc Alpine. Completed the Citroen Classic Challenge Ecosse and 1337 miles without a hitch.
2000 XM VSX 2.1 td Auto. Rouge Magenta.
TGD saloon many years ago.

1990 Swift 'Corniche' 12/2 aka BXClub HQ.
Honda Firestorm. Gone, but not forgotten.
2015 Triumph Tiger Explorer XC.
citsncycles
Over 2k

Post by citsncycles »

knob picture request! (sorry, couldn't help it, it was too easy)
Thank god for that - when I read posts about crusty knobs last night with no dodgy comments following, I thought there was something going wrong with the forum :lol:
Mike Sims
BX 19RD Estate Mk1 - Timex!
BX 4X4 Estate - Oh god, I've done it again!
BX 17RD MK1 - it called to me!
BX14 TGE, - SOLD
XM Turbo SD,GS Club Estate,Visa 17D Leader,HY Pickup,Dyane Nomad,Dyane 6,2CV AZL,Falcon S,Trabant P50,3x Land Rovers (88" series 1,109" series 2a FFR,series 2a Marshall ambulance),DKW F7, Lambretta LD150 x 1.5,Mobylette SP93,Ural Cossack,Ural M63,CZ 250 Sport,Honda Varadero 125,lots of bicycles & tricycles including (but not only) Sunbeams,Higgins & Bates!
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

Boys, calm down, you will scare the newbie.
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
vnd
Confirmed BX'er

Post by vnd »

Tim Leech wrote:Boys, calm down, you will scare the newbie.

:lol:
Doubtfull!

Base humour is good humour.
Knobs and farts are always amusing.
But NEVER together!
citsncycles
Over 2k

Post by citsncycles »

Boys, calm down, you will scare the newbie.
Sorry boss :oops:

Just had a moment of deja vu :shock: - I was involved in the same conversation at work about the last 2 new starts :lol:
Mike Sims
BX 19RD Estate Mk1 - Timex!
BX 4X4 Estate - Oh god, I've done it again!
BX 17RD MK1 - it called to me!
BX14 TGE, - SOLD
XM Turbo SD,GS Club Estate,Visa 17D Leader,HY Pickup,Dyane Nomad,Dyane 6,2CV AZL,Falcon S,Trabant P50,3x Land Rovers (88" series 1,109" series 2a FFR,series 2a Marshall ambulance),DKW F7, Lambretta LD150 x 1.5,Mobylette SP93,Ural Cossack,Ural M63,CZ 250 Sport,Honda Varadero 125,lots of bicycles & tricycles including (but not only) Sunbeams,Higgins & Bates!
Mickey taker
Over 2k

Post by Mickey taker »

vnd wrote:
Tim Leech wrote: Knobs and farts are always amusing.
But NEVER together!
Oh I don't know
1991 BX Meteor 1.6

light travels faster than sound, thats why you look intelligent and then you spoil it all by opening your mouth !!!!!
vnd
Confirmed BX'er

Post by vnd »

Noticed the tick time was down to about a second (almost constant) yesterday, so booked BEG into the car-doctors for a good look-over.

Well, the verdict is in.

MOT fail, but not too bad for a 22 year old french car.

Couple of little jobs, bad earth on the back, gator, track rod end..... and a massive hydraulic leak!
The underside of the car has had an extensive rustproofing. Im not sure whats more expensive, Waxoil or hydraulic fluid, but the jobs certainly thoroughly done now!

It seems there are two rubber return pipes (rubber, low pressure?) not connected to anything (!)
Hopefully its just these pipes that need replacing/reconecting and she'll be good to go.
Unfortunately theres not enough ramp time to thoroughly investigate untill monday. So she will have to sit sadly and wait untill then.
toddao
BXpat

Post by toddao »

Nice car in a good colour too. The window issue I only dealt with on mine last week after suffering the two-handed closing/sagging palaver for years HERE is the link to my posting which was received with huge excitement.

- remove inner door handle ( three screws) and afore-mentioned 'knob'

- gently prise the door card/lining away from its plastic clips which will probably break, lift it free.

- remove the three or four bolts that hold the window scissor mechanism in place inc the inner small runner fixed onto the door that you can't see from outside ( this will save loads of faffing). Manoeuvre it off the window runners. Probably advisable to remove the whole window through the top before putting the new 'improved' set of scissors into place.
- Slide all the bearings and runners into place on the window once it's back in before bolting back onto the door ( prop it up with a block of wood to aid alignment for the bolts)

I'm assuming that its an electric window otherwise you've got a big faff changing the manual mechanism onto an electric one

I'd say allow 90 mins or so if you've never done it. Any questions just ask as I've wasted too much time in the inner recesses of the BX door!

- I just saw your MOT post. Sounds like the front strut returns could be leaking if you've got two pipes that go no-where. These things degrade over time and just fall off. I've seen this on a couple of BXs
Todd

this yellow writing is really hard to read
vnd
Confirmed BX'er

Post by vnd »

toddao wrote:Nice car in a good colour too. The window issue I only dealt with on mine last week after suffering the two-handed closing/sagging palaver for years HERE is the link to my posting which was received with huge excitement.

- remove inner door handle ( three screws) and afore-mentioned 'knob'

- gently prise the door card/lining away from its plastic clips which will probably break, lift it free.

- remove the three or four bolts that hold the window scissor mechanism in place inc the inner small runner fixed onto the door that you can't see from outside ( this will save loads of faffing). Manoeuvre it off the window runners. Probably advisable to remove the whole window through the top before putting the new 'improved' set of scissors into place.
- Slide all the bearings and runners into place on the window once it's back in before bolting back onto the door ( prop it up with a block of wood to aid alignment for the bolts)

I'm assuming that its an electric window otherwise you've got a big faff changing the manual mechanism onto an electric one

I'd say allow 90 mins or so if you've never done it. Any questions just ask as I've wasted too much time in the inner recesses of the BX door!

- I just saw your MOT post. Sounds like the front strut returns could be leaking if you've got two pipes that go no-where. These things degrade over time and just fall off. I've seen this on a couple of BXs

Sir, youre a gent.
Thats all super info and thanks very much for posting it.
Sure itll be invaluable when I finally get a dry day and get the doorcard off.
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Re: VNDs 14TGE *MOT FAIL* 16/10/12

Post by Dollywobbler »

Strut returns are easy but I'm betting the one fitted has snapped. When that happens, very often the inside edge of the tyre ends up feeling very sticky. If it hasn't snapped, then it's possible that excess pressure has forced it off. That might mean a dodgy strut, which is a bit more of a pain.
vnd
Confirmed BX'er

Re: VNDs 14TGE *MOT FAIL* 16/10/12

Post by vnd »

Dollywobbler wrote: That might mean a dodgy strut, which is a bit more of a pain.
And here was me feeling all upbeat and positive......... :?