Barrys tzd repairs

Tell us about life with your BX, or indeed life in general!
barry badger
BXpert

Barrys tzd repairs

Post by barry badger »

Thanks so much to everyone i've finally managed a picture :-D . This is the repaired os inner wing.
The other side of the repair.

Jobs completed so far are:-

Drivers window regulator replaced
upper speedometer cable replaced
good speedometer with correct mileage and working tripometer made up from two broken ones.
radius arms overhauled (but not refitted yet)
heater motor repaired
cambelt,water pump and all front oil seals replaced
Last edited by barry badger on Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
1993 tzd estate, on sorn
1992 tzd estate, slowly being raided for parts
1992 txd estate, "doom blue" on the road
1991 4x4 estate, on sorn
barry badger
BXpert

Re: Barrys tzd repairs

Post by barry badger »

The next repair under way is the ns A post, the top hinge had actually come away so i have cut everything away back to clean metal.

This is the new inner piece to be fitted (cut from the scrapper) but first it will be thoroughly derusted using bilt hamber deox gel.
1993 tzd estate, on sorn
1991 4x4 estate, on sorn
citsncycles
Over 2k

Post by citsncycles »

Good to see more people doing repairs like this on BX's =D> =D> =D>
Mike Sims
BX 19RD Estate Mk1 - Timex!
BX 4X4 Estate - Oh god, I've done it again!
BX 17RD MK1 - it called to me!
BX14 TGE, - SOLD
XM Turbo SD,GS Club Estate,Visa 17D Leader,HY Pickup,Dyane Nomad,Dyane 6,2CV AZL,Falcon S,Trabant P50,3x Land Rovers (88" series 1,109" series 2a FFR,series 2a Marshall ambulance),DKW F7, Lambretta LD150 x 1.5,Mobylette SP93,Ural Cossack,Ural M63,CZ 250 Sport,Honda Varadero 125,lots of bicycles & tricycles including (but not only) Sunbeams,Higgins & Bates!
Defender110
Over 2k
My Cars: Land Rover Discovery Series 1 200tdi 3 door
Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5
2020 Fiat Panda cross 4x4 twin air.

Post by Defender110 »

=D> /\ as that, nice work Barry.
Kevan
1997 Mercedes C230 W202
2003 Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5 - Daily driver / hobby days and camping.
1993 Land Rover Discovery 200tdi Series 1 3 door - in need of TLC
2020 Fiat Panda 4x4 Cross Twin Air.
barry badger
BXpert

Post by barry badger »

Os quarter panel perforated
Ns quarter panel perforated
Exhaust hanger
Nsr chassis leg
Osr inner wing
This is the osr quarter with a hole cut into it to repair the outer and gain access to repair the inside. The wheel arch has come up fairly well with deox
This is probably the worst single part, the rear subframe offside front mounting. If i'd seen this before i was so far into it i might have changed my mind about fixing it. A lot of this looks a lot different now having undergone a lot of cutting out and two weeks of daily applications of deox.
1993 tzd estate, on sorn
1991 4x4 estate, on sorn
MULLEY
Over 2k
My Cars: 1999 Xsara LX 2.0HDI (90) Hatch - Fern
2002 C5 2.0 HDI (110) Estate - Jasmine - SORN
2011 Mini Cooper D Clubman - SOLD
2016 Mercedes A180D Sport - Auto refinement
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - SORN
1992 TZD Turbo Estate - SORN
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired - SORN
1990 Gti 8Valve SOLD - looks like it's been scrapped
2002 Mini Cooper S - SOLD - i miss this car
1992 TXD - Scrapped in March 2014
1988 CX 25 GTI Turbo2 - SORN
1996 - AX Memphis 1.5D - Dream - SORN

Post by MULLEY »

Amazing repairs, ironically the piccy that shows the bumper mounting point is in perfect nick, just the rest of that panel is bubbling up. Mine has the rusted up mount bit & thats why my rear bumper doesnt hang as well as it should, the rest of that panel on mine is in better nick than your piccy.

I suppose the way to look at it Barry is that once you've done all this graft, you'll have a car that'll be able to do another 20 years before it gets in it's current condition again, i take my hat off to you sir :) Great job.
2002 C5 2.0 HDI Estate - Jasmine - Now SORN
2011 Mini Cooper D Clubman - SOLD
2016 Mercedes A180D Sport - Auto refinement
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - My daily
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired.
1990 Gti 8Valve SOLD - looks like it's been scrapped
2002 Mini Cooper S - SOLD - i miss this car
1992 TXD - Scrapped in March 2014
1988 CX 25 GTI Turbo2 - SORN
1996 - AX Memphis 1.5D - Dream - SORN

I'm not just a username, i'm also called Matthew.
citsncycles
Over 2k

Post by citsncycles »

Christ, those rear wings and chassis rails look worse than Timex :shock: . Some great pics there though - I have some similar jobs to do in the future. Well done =D> =D>
Mike Sims
BX14 TGE, - SOLD
XM Turbo SD,GS Club Estate,Visa 17D Leader,HY Pickup,Dyane Nomad,Dyane 6,2CV AZL,Falcon S,Trabant P50,3x Land Rovers (88" series 1,109" series 2a FFR,series 2a Marshall ambulance),DKW F7, Lambretta LD150 x 1.5,Mobylette SP93,Ural Cossack,Ural M63,CZ 250 Sport,Honda Varadero 125,lots of bicycles & tricycles including (but not only) Sunbeams,Higgins & Bates!
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

I've got a little bit of bubbling behind the filler flap - at least any repair can hopefully be hidden if it's not invisible! Looks like you're doing a good job; getting back to shiny steel is the only long term solution.

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
toddao
BXpat

Post by toddao »

Yes, good work Barry. I just looked up that Deox stuff - looks quite good.

I've got the problem that my first welding efforts from two years ago - in the same inner wing region - are starting to build small amounts of rust again. I haven't quite got the prep/sealing/finishing situation in hand yet. What products are you using apart from the Deox?
Todd

this yellow writing is really hard to read
rutter123
Over 2k
My Cars: 90 Bx Tzd turbo ven red 295k
74 D Super 5 black
05 Volvo V50 2.0d 180k
65 Peugeot Boxer work van 280k

Post by rutter123 »

nice work done similar repairs to my tzd turbo when i got it in 2007, it had spent its first 15years living on the salty aired south coast, the rust demons had got well into the usual places front inner wings rear end of sills inners and outer n/s rear axle mounting area n/s rear chassis, exhaust hanger, boot floor etc etc, tho somehow the front hinges/pillar suspect areas were solid and still are, think the o/s rear axle mount area will need doing for next mot as well as the o/s rear chassis looking a bit suspect, im no expert welder but i use a small gas mig and find that even with no real welding experience you can get good results with that little extra time spent... ggod job
90 BX Tzd turbo 294k SORN undergoing major surgery
90 BX Tzd turbo estate 46k awaiting surgery
65 Peugeot Boxer Van the new workhorse
52 Toyota Rav4 180k Bulletproof Jap reliability
citsncycles
Over 2k

Post by citsncycles »

I've got the problem that my first welding efforts from two years ago - in the same inner wing region - are starting to build small amounts of rust again. I haven't quite got the prep/sealing/finishing situation in hand yet. What products are you using apart from the Deox?
If I cannot cut all the rust out (my preferred option but not always practical), I attack it with a wire wheel and put a rust converter on any pitted areas left. Unless it's outer panel work it gets brushable seam sealer over all the joints, followed by rust resistant paint, underseal underneath and cavity wax in the box sections. If possible I try to seal and paint box sections as much as possible before closing them up.

Outer panel work gets everything smoothed with a sanding disc in a grinder, followed by a skim of filler and paint.

I don't tend to use a particular product, but one favorite is Jenolite rust converter.

The most important thing is to keep it all as dry as possible from start to finish - even damp air will start it rusting, and remember that both filler and primer is usually water absorbent.
Mike Sims
BX14 TGE, - SOLD
barry badger
BXpert

Post by barry badger »

Repairs have been on hold for a few days due to work commitments but i'm hoping to get the passenger door hinge fitted on sunday. I'd originally estimated 2 weeks for the repairs so i didn't cancel the road tax, but it's dragging on now. Deox is a fairly recent discovery for me, i had no idea such products existed.
I'm friendly with a local guy who restores and shows classic cars, he's given me lots of advice regarding rustproofing. The products i'm using are bilt hamber- deox, dynax s50 and dynax ub plus dintrol- corromax, rc900 and dinitrol underseal plus u pol etch primer on any bare metal plus 3m seam sealer.
I'll probably do what i did to the 4x4 under the rear arches which was 2 coats of dinitrol corromax followed by two coats of dintrol underseal (can't remember the number), i am quite happy with this because i don't think anything gets missed.
Last edited by barry badger on Sat Dec 08, 2012 1:25 am, edited 2 times in total.
1993 tzd estate, on sorn
1991 4x4 estate, on sorn
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

barry badger wrote:Deox is a fairly recent discovery for me, i had no idea such products existed.
Me too! But will be using it again. I'm still sceptical of rust converters, as there's the danger that they will convert the top layer of rust but still leave unconverted rust beneath.

Some before and after shots:

...to this:

It takes ages at this time of year though - those photos were taken maybe a week apart, with fresh Deox applied daily. Still, it takes little time to actually put on so you can get on with other things, even if the overall rust removal process takes a while.

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
barry badger
BXpert

Post by barry badger »

It is absolutely incredible stuff i wish i'd discovered it sooner.
1993 tzd estate, on sorn
1991 4x4 estate, on sorn
toddao
BXpat

Post by toddao »

I take it that this is the 'Deox gel' as obviously you can't submerge a BX or Landie in solution! Do those pics of your Discovery Mat only feature the results of using Deox - no grinding etc?
I'm going to have to order directly from Bilt Hamber but they do courier stuff to Germany as you can't buy the stuff here yet.
Todd

this yellow writing is really hard to read