All smiles again : )

Anything about BXs
Oscar
1K Away

All smiles again : )

Post by Oscar »

See

http://bxclub.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=227

I spent Thursday evening underneath the car trying to fit a new fuel return pipe as the old one is badly corroded. Perhaps I should have thought things through a bit better and not tanked the motor the evening before :? , but I honestly thought there'd be a one way valve on a return pipe. Anyway, after getting soaked in D :x (not even SVO - would have been better), I had the new pipe on the inlet and was ready to connect it to the rubberised hose from the pump. Guess what? - it's two inches too short. No way the two would marry up safely. So, as the BoL says, "refitting is the reversal of removal" except in this case - with the same flipping pipe. In any event, the original is not as badly corroded as I thought and will last while I source some fuel hose.

So that was Thursday. On Saturday SWMBO and I were returning from a barbie when the slight power problem I had been noticing all week became a lot worse, just as we were leaving the M2. In fact I had no power whatsoever and was just able to freewheel to relative safety. My bad habits of relying on the car's torque and not changing gear frequently enough have come home to roost, and I've finished off the clutch. Well, I can't complain (although I probably will). I couldn't find a receipt for a replacement in the SH, so that implies that the clutch has done 172k miles. Does this sound possible? Now I bought this car as a project and a learning experience, and one thing I've learned is that there's no way I am attempting a clutch change on asle stands at the weekend when I need the car in 2 weeks for a holiday, so I'll be getting quotes today :(

Then yesterday, SWMBO washed my diesel-soaked overalls and t-shirt with a set of bedclothes.....

Oh and the gas lighter for the stove broke, a month after I bought it, so SWMBO is back to trying to light the gas by standing 6 feet away from it with her eyes closed and waving a match at it....

But other than that, it was a nice weekend :)

Oscar

EDIT: 23 August 05. I've edited this cause I don't want this to be a swearing type of forum. That's better, isn't it?
Last edited by Oscar on Tue Aug 23, 2005 11:41 am, edited 2 times in total.
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad »

So, an uneventful weekend then?!! There was a brand new cheap clutch on eBay recently that didn`t get a bid if that helps. I think it started off at £14.99.
Vanny
Merseyside resident
My Cars: BX 16v Ph2 - Jazz
BX 16v Ph2 - XPO

Post by Vanny »

and there relatively easy to fit yoru self! I seem to take no more than 6 hours now, but i've done it in three before now!

The pipe problem is strange, my last set where over 2" too long! infact there still too long and i get an advisory on every MOT because im too lazy to do anything about it :)
ken newbold
Over 2k

Post by ken newbold »

Vanny wrote:and there relatively easy to fit yoru self! I seem to take no more than 6 hours now, but i've done it in three before now!
Is this true, 3 hours for as clutch on a tubro bx, you're a better man than I gungadin

The pipe problem is strange, my last set where over 2" too long! infact there still too long and i get an advisory on every MOT because im too lazy to do anything about it :)
Oscar
1K Away

Post by Oscar »

Actually I'd love to do it, but weighing it up with everything else, expediency wins out over learning+money. Shame really, but then on the other hand I'm supporting a local independent, so there is a silver lining.

O
Vanny
Merseyside resident
BX 16v Ph2 - XPO

Post by Vanny »

ken newbold wrote: Is this true, 3 hours for as clutch on a tubro bx, you're a better man than I gungadin
it was an Mi16, and like the third time i'd done it in a week! Old race car, and it had certain things 'modified' to make it easier, well i say modified, the accumulator, PR and FD where all in the scuttle!
Oscar
1K Away

Post by Oscar »

You see Vanny, you lost me at Mi16.....
Vanny
Merseyside resident
BX 16v Ph2 - XPO

Post by Vanny »

its okay it's a need to know sort of thing (1905cc DOHC 16v PSA lump, or BX 16v engine, but it was called an Mi16 in the Peugeot's!)
Oscar
1K Away

Post by Oscar »

BloodyFuck!BloodyFuck!BloodyFuck!BloodyFuck!BloodyFuck!BloodyFuck!

NNGGGGGGGGGGGGGMNNNNNNNNN!!!!!!!!!

Oh shit.

Oh well.

Oh let's get on with it.

And that, dear friends, is a rough outline of my mental state yesterday evening after my mate John (you know him - Honest John) ripped the towing point off the front of the BX in the last 100 yards to the garage. Well, it may not be the towing point, but it was all I could see to attach the towrope to - there's two of them, either side of the subframe, and he bent the first one last Saturday towing us home, causing the bumper to pop off, foglight to pop out and indicator glass to fly away. That's no big deal. But tearing the other one off completely....he says he speeded up to get up the slight incline, but I think he just went around the corner and forgot he was towing, he's a bit like that.

Still, trying to keep it in proper perspective: he's a mate, he was doing me a favour, it's only a car, there are plenty more available. I wish he'd said "Oh shit, Oscar, sorry!" instead of "I've towed hundreds of cars and never seen that, I had to speed up to take the incline etc.etc".

At the moment, I'm waiting for a call from the garage. After they've stopped laughing........

Watch this space.
Vanny
Merseyside resident
BX 16v Ph2 - XPO

Post by Vanny »

thats an out rigger not the tow point! And yes i have very bent ones at the rear!

on the plus side they themselves arent structural, i've only ever found a proper use for them as tie down points when on a trailer. there is only one tow point on th eN/S of the car on my 16v its just to the right of the fog light looking from the front of the car
Oscar
1K Away

Post by Oscar »

Thanks Vanny, for reassuring me!

The garage have replaced the clutch and the release arm for GBP250 altogether inc vat. A hole in the finances, but should be good for another 170k miles now!

So apart from a bruised ego and an hour's work re-attaching the bumper, no harm done I hope.......

O
tom
Citroen Sorceror
My Cars: 2003- Passe-Partout 1.9 TGD estate
2005 Grolliffe Tizzydee turbo estate and sundry other BXs and Grace, a CX TRD.
2008 to 2023 - all sorts of stuff, some interesting
2024. TxD 1.9D estate. 'Wheelybin'

Post by tom »

I did a clutch last weekend. About £80 for the bits. That leaves £170 to do the job. Money well spent if you have it, 'cos it is a big job.
Vanny
Merseyside resident
BX 16v Ph2 - XPO

Post by Vanny »

i did a clutch last week (thursday) and the clutch cost £40 (on a 405 1.7td), only problem was i lost my magic stick and took a day to find it so job ended up at 6 hours over two days! I had refused to do any more jobs on the badly designed 405, but guess what i've been doing the last two days? a timing belt on another one!
Oscar
1K Away

Post by Oscar »

Yippee!

Back to (better than) normal.

I had no idea what a difference a new clutch and arm would make - shows my lack of experience I suppose. The change is smooth, predictable, reliable, :D bite point is so low down that I stalled the first couple of times as i was used to lifting my foot much further and faster. Car feels like new.

gradually coming good, and although it's kicked a hole in my finances, it's money well spent in the longterm for the BX's longevity. I'll sort the steering out and soundproof the cabin and we can drive off into the sunset. (well, Snowdon actually - SWMBO and I are going camping in the last known campsite that allows open fires. Chances of getting one lit in the p*ssing rain are pretty minimal I think, but the lure of a campfire...)
DLM
Our Trim Guru
My Cars: Historically, lots of BX hatches/estates in the 90s/00s - 16/19i/17td/19d
Recent scruffy diesel n/a estate - "The Red Shed" - is no longer mine.

Post by DLM »

I drove Tom's TZD with newly-fitted clutch weekend and could hardly believe it as my foot slid almost effortlessley to the floor. Had to check there was definitely a pedal there! Makes the aggro of this job (seen, but not truly experienced) worthwile.