Insert witty title here ...

Tell us about life with your BX, or indeed life in general!
MULLEY
Over 2k
My Cars: 1999 Xsara LX 2.0HDI (90) Hatch - Fern
2002 C5 2.0 HDI (110) Estate - Jasmine - SORN
2011 Mini Cooper D Clubman - SOLD
2016 Mercedes A180D Sport - Auto refinement
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - SORN
1992 TZD Turbo Estate - SORN
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired - SORN
1990 Gti 8Valve SOLD - looks like it's been scrapped
2002 Mini Cooper S - SOLD - i miss this car
1992 TXD - Scrapped in March 2014
1988 CX 25 GTI Turbo2 - SORN
1996 - AX Memphis 1.5D - Dream - SORN

Re: Insert witty title here ...

Post by MULLEY »

Just don't use the middle pedal so often :)

Glad you've got it sorted, i bet the brake pedal now feels a lot nicer than it did before?
2002 C5 2.0 HDI Estate - Jasmine - Now SORN
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - My daily
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired.

I'm not just a username, i'm also called Matthew.
Caffiend
Reluctant BXpert

Post by Caffiend »

Brakes and handbrake (following weld - again) both feel SO much better. I prefer to use engine/gears to slow down, so hopefully these will last a while ;P
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe
1991 TZD hatch (Triton Green)
1992 Hurricane
electrokid
1K Away

Post by electrokid »

I prefer to use engine/gears to slow down, so hopefully these will last a while ;P
Me too. My BX used to need new pads every year for the MOT. Then about 3 years ago when I decided the sticky caliper really needed sorting I had recon calipers and new discs and pads fitted - still running on those pads and I don't expect to change them for a couple of years more.
1992 BX19 TGD estate 228K Rusty - SORNed
2002 C5 HDi SX estate
mds141
Over 2k

Post by mds141 »

Caffiend wrote:Brakes and handbrake (following weld - again) both feel SO much better. I prefer to use engine/gears to slow down, so hopefully these will last a while ;P
What, no reverse thrust?!!
Mark Smith

Is it just me or is everything shit?

1989 BX GTi 16 valve. Blanc Alpine. Completed the Citroen Classic Challenge Ecosse and 1337 miles without a hitch.
2000 XM VSX 2.1 td Auto. Rouge Magenta.
TGD saloon many years ago.

1990 Swift 'Corniche' 12/2 aka BXClub HQ.
Honda Firestorm. Gone, but not forgotten.
2015 Triumph Tiger Explorer XC.
MULLEY
Over 2k
My Cars: 1999 Xsara LX 2.0HDI (90) Hatch - Fern
2002 C5 2.0 HDI (110) Estate - Jasmine - SORN
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - SORN
1992 TZD Turbo Estate - SORN
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired - SORN

Post by MULLEY »

I tend to use engine braking when lifting off the throttle to slow down, especially for speed limit changes, i only actually use the brakes if i have to slow down reasonably quickly, i wonder if those following me think my brake lights don't work, haha...
2002 C5 2.0 HDI Estate - Jasmine - Now SORN
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - My daily
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired.

I'm not just a username, i'm also called Matthew.
electrokid
1K Away

Post by electrokid »

Much the same here - if I'm approaching a roundabout which I know I can take in 3rd if all is clear then I'll typically change from 5th to 4th a few hundred yards before then down to 3rd say 100yds before and the brake lights won't show of course. Easier to do in the low revving and very torquey diesel :D I'm happy to use up to half throttle to pull away from a junction where the engine speed has dropped as far as 800 rpm. Sometimes there's an exception if I think the driver behind is a bit close or not concentrating - I'll use light braking just to get the brake lights on to give me the best chance of not getting smacked up the rear - wouldn't want to damage the towbar now would we :lol:
1992 BX19 TGD estate 228K Rusty - SORNed
2002 C5 HDi SX estate
Caffiend
Reluctant BXpert

Post by Caffiend »

Hooray for it not raining, but wishing it was warmer so I could go and give my neglected car a little lurve. It needs an oil change, but think I may chicken out of doing that one this time of year and take it over to Rob next week.

Really looking forward to getting back into a routine again.

Hope everyone is enjoying the festive season :)
1992 Hurricane
citsncycles
Over 2k

Post by citsncycles »

I'm at work!
Mike Sims
BX 19RD Estate Mk1 - Timex!
BX 4X4 Estate - Oh god, I've done it again!
BX 17RD MK1 - it called to me!
BX14 TGE, - SOLD
XM Turbo SD,GS Club Estate,Visa 17D Leader,HY Pickup,Dyane Nomad,Dyane 6,2CV AZL,Falcon S,Trabant P50,3x Land Rovers (88" series 1,109" series 2a FFR,series 2a Marshall ambulance),DKW F7, Lambretta LD150 x 1.5,Mobylette SP93,Ural Cossack,Ural M63,CZ 250 Sport,Honda Varadero 125,lots of bicycles & tricycles including (but not only) Sunbeams,Higgins & Bates!
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

citsncycles wrote:I'm at work!

Me too, thank god for online shopping!
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
Caffiend
Reluctant BXpert

Post by Caffiend »

I'm back at work today .... Online battleships anyone? (D4)
1992 Hurricane
citsncycles
Over 2k

Post by citsncycles »

Miss!
Mike Sims
BX14 TGE, - SOLD
XM Turbo SD,GS Club Estate,Visa 17D Leader,HY Pickup,Dyane Nomad,Dyane 6,2CV AZL,Falcon S,Trabant P50,3x Land Rovers (88" series 1,109" series 2a FFR,series 2a Marshall ambulance),DKW F7, Lambretta LD150 x 1.5,Mobylette SP93,Ural Cossack,Ural M63,CZ 250 Sport,Honda Varadero 125,lots of bicycles & tricycles including (but not only) Sunbeams,Higgins & Bates!
Caffiend
Reluctant BXpert

Post by Caffiend »

OK, well I think it's spring because I've stopped wearing socks. How very daring of me.

This means it's time to stop hibernating and actually do some more stuff to my car. I would have liked to have at least washed it before going to Wetherby this weekend. Unfortunately it's incarcerated at Chevronics having an about-to-explode wheelbearing replaced and the pedal box welded. I am likely to be working late tomorrow and Thursday and am under orders to find time to make flapjack. Running out of hours ... As I have to wash the car on the road and am too far to run a power supply out there I'm tempted to sling Henry, the hosepipe and various environmentally-unfriendly products in the boot for the tech weekend and do some proper washing and polishing there.

Back to Chevronics - naturally ensured that I saw Des's St Tropez, looking good :D. Few GS/GSAs in there and a couple of BXs (silver one purchased by Rob for light recommissioning and sale - completely failed to get details - and Mrs Rob's red TXD turbo). The powder blue Triumph I covet is still in the fleet, and got first sight of a cute little Wolesley. Good to meet RobBX16v when he dropped in to talk about restoring his valver (sorry if that's thunder stealing somehow) - always nice to put faces to names.

I have borrowed a C2 while the TZD is being "done". It's very peculiar. I waited for the glo plug lights to go out. They didn't, because there aren't any (1400 petrol). I waited for the suspension to lift. It didn't and I felt a bit of a twit really.

Rob's going to quote me for various bits of welding that need doing later this year. Luckily I have a small agreement for, um, moonlighting, which will pay for that (hence busy-ness, got a May Bank Holiday deadline to meet). Looking forward to the next couple of weekends which are the real start of the season for me after a false start in April :)
1992 Hurricane
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

Im happy to wash it Sunday for you honey!
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
Caffiend
Reluctant BXpert

Post by Caffiend »

Mine!
I've wanted a Hurricane ever since the last one got sold instead of my Renault 5 (c. 1998-9)

Now I've got one. Well, 4/11ths of one, paying for the other 7/11ths and collecting ... um, this week (life has got COMPLICATED this week, more of that at a later date). After my 'oh noes, can't do it' post, made very shortly after a very difficult and too-damn-hot trip home from South London on Saturday, I needed to get my head round the NEC accounts and other stuff being able to bloody well wait and contacted the seller accordingly. Big thanks to Paul296 for fixing the other 'issue' of lone female/completely unknown seller/completely unfamiliar neck of the woods/chunk of cash (I did it when I bought my TZD, but had significantly more planning time, had had a chance to speak to the seller on the phone at some length and know Bristol well). Anyway, there may be cake, as well as my undying gratitude forever and at least 2 days.

Issues have already been posted on the f/s thread linked above - rear arm bearing, welding, fuel pipes and almost certainly temperature sensor: oil was fine, water tank clean as a whistle with not a speck of mayo in sight. Traffic/roadwork speed limits meant that I couldn't really get the beastie to stretch it's legs, but it seemed perfectly happy at 3-3500 revs with still more to give. Smoke test was just a fine bloom of black, no white/blue in sight ;P

Pictures courtesy of Paul too (I'm a horrible photographer):

It still doesn't really seem quite real, but I know I'm dead chuffed and may squeak with excitement once it's mine all mine. First trip will be to Barry's to get the 'urgent' bits sorted, hoping it'll be ready for a first outing to Stratford :)

Tim - thanks SO much for the offer of storage on FB - I'll pick up with you :)
1992 Hurricane
citsncycles
Over 2k

Post by citsncycles »

Well done, and welcome to multiple Citroen ownership - you know it's a slippery slope from this point andyou'll soon be looking for barn space!
Mike Sims
BX14 TGE, - SOLD