Wooscary's TZD 1993

Tell us about life with your BX, or indeed life in general!
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Re: Wooscary's TZD 1993

Post by Tim Leech »

Wooscary wrote:Yeah I can't spot any rust so far. There's been a slight repair around the passenger door handle (probably a break in),
which is hardly noticeable.

I've actually just got off the phone with the garage about the timing belt. He's quoted me £199 for
the belt, water pump (which has the tensioner integrated?) and coolant change. Does that seem reasonable?

At that age it was a case of hammering a screwdriver above the door handle and then you could reach the lock, hence probably why the original is missing.

If the £199 includes parts and VAT then I think its quite fair.
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

From memory on that engine you rotate the water pump to tension the belt - would guess 3 to 4 hours* labour plus parts.

*That's assuming you know what you're doing - first time I didn't, and spent ages heaving on the crank bolt, only to realise you can change the belt just by taking out the allen bolts which hold the auxiliary drive belt pulley on... :oops:

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
Tim Leech
Over 2k

Post by Tim Leech »

Ive always said if you dont know your way round cambelts then probably best to get someone who does! hence why I dont touch mine.
Wooscary
BXpert

Post by Wooscary »

Exactly. The handle and lock are still there, but the lock was loose, maybe someone levered it a bit,
then the area of paint around the handle has had some slight touch up/respray. It's not a bad job, just
a slightly rougher finish than the surrounding area.

Yeah, that's the price all in with VAT. Booked in for Friday. And Mat - so yeah, 3 - 4 hours, plus parts, VAT. It sounds about it right.

New tyres on the back (the old ones still had tread but were obviously really old/soft/cracked).
Parcel shelf arrived today.

And the major success of last night was fixing the blower. It only worked on the fastest speed, traced the fault
back to the connector block/resistor on the blower housing.

IMG_3992b by Wooscary, on Flickr
Obvious break in the wire.

IMG_3993b by Wooscary, on Flickr
Holly solders the first new section of copper in.

IMG_3994b by Wooscary, on Flickr

IMG_3995b by Wooscary, on Flickr
And all wound back up and soldered in place.

It now works perfectly. :D
Tim Leech
Over 2k

Post by Tim Leech »

Dont you love old School electronics! I think all in all Martin youve bought a nice example, you can buy toughened lock "shields" that fit round the lock end of the handle, which would maybe cover up the patchy paint and deter people in the future. We used to sell loads of them.
tzd-92
Confirmed BX'er
My Cars: 1990 Citroen bx 16v
1975 Volkswagen camper
2017 Volkswagen Passat

Post by tzd-92 »

Wooo another Polo owner!! Yours does look a little minter. I've got a '93 1.0l Genesis coupe. I can't fault them at all, I passed my test in March 2012 and so far have covered about 18,000 miles in the Polo and its still going strong and had very few problems. Overall its done 156,500 miles which I think is brilliant for an old 1.0l! I do still keep looking around at BX's but being 17 the Polo is that bit cheaper to insure etc.

This is my baby

Tim Leech
Over 2k

Post by Tim Leech »

ex vw uk car by the looks of the plates on that, the 1.0 and 1.3 engines are very robust asides the headgaskets.

Are you going to attend any BX meetings this year? doesnt matter what you drive.
Wooscary
BXpert

Post by Wooscary »

Fingers crossed for the head gasket then! :D

Not sure if you're asking me or tzd-92, but I'd love to get to some meets this year.

At the moment Holly wants me to sell the BX, as we don't need two cars and the Polo
is cheaper in some ways.

I've gone along with this, but am now starting to think it would be great to take the BX
away from being a daily and give it some TLC, really clean it up etc. Put it on a limited
mileage policy... Sounds like a good idea in theory, just need to do some persuasion now.
Tim Leech
Over 2k

Post by Tim Leech »

Wooscary wrote:Fingers crossed for the head gasket then! :D

Not sure if you're asking me or tzd-92, but I'd love to get to some meets this year.

Either! 8)
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

Wooscary wrote:limited mileage
Yeah, would be a shame to clock up the miles on it :lol:

TBH, I was wondering about that when I bought the Focus. But I don't think I will - every time I get in it I wish it was the BX! But I can see your point - if the pleasure you get from using it is starting to be balanced by worry about breakdowns and deterioration, then it makes sense. Would secure parking be an issue for you? I would guess that a long term stationary car would attract more unwanted attention than one that's regularly used.

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
Mickey taker
Over 2k

Post by Mickey taker »

Just needs a garland hanging from the mirror Martin,
Seriously though unabused dubs are soooooo much better than silly edition 38 types and lowering them do's nothing for the handling, my last MK 2 golf had standard suspension ( although I did rebuild it) and out handled most on the road
1991 BX Meteor 1.6

light travels faster than sound, thats why you look intelligent and then you spoil it all by opening your mouth !!!!!
Wooscary
BXpert

Post by Wooscary »

Also tzd-92, that's a good looking car!

Mat, exactly! Secure parking, well...not like anything has ever happened to it round here...
I've got this new slightly more enclosed parking area which seems quite successful so far,
so might be ok. I quite like the idea of having a weekend car and getting it all sorted out
in some nice weather this summer.

Mickey - I totally agree, it's got to stay natural.
Wooscary
BXpert

Post by Wooscary »

Polo now has a new timing belt, water pump, coolant and fan belt. They wouldn't let me leave! "Ooo it's so clean", "It'll last forever that". Ha ha.

BX is still at the other garage. The pipe work is now done, but he's been struggling to find an exhaust box. One is arriving on Monday now.

The task for tonight is resealing round the bath. Joyous.
saintjamesy89
1K Away
My Cars: 1985 Citroen BX19 GT
198x Citroen BX16 TRS auto
1988 Volvo 740 2.0 GL Hearse
1991 Saab 900 16v convertible
2007 Lexus RX 400h SE

Post by saintjamesy89 »

Bugger, I have a new estate TD rear box that came with the TXD. I have no use for it as it won't obviously fit my hatch. Should have read the thread more thoroughly I guess! Sorry Martin.
I'm not a Saint, or a James, but a Tom Saint-James!

Mes voitures:
1985 Citroen BX19 GT
1988 Volvo 740 2.0 GL Hearse
2006 Lexus RX 400h SE hybrid
Wooscary
BXpert

Post by Wooscary »

Ah don't worry about it Tom, it's not your job to do that! It's not like I made it very obvious.

Thanks for the thought anyway.