Southern Rolling Road & Tech Day - end Feb/beg. Mar

Here members post meetings, events, meet ups and the like
Matt H
1K Away

Re: Southern Rolling Road & Tech Day - end Feb/beg. Mar

Post by Matt H »

Unfortunately, I am going to have to remove myself from this list... I know how much you all wanted to see me etc. :lol: To be fair it was probably going to be in the boring Alfa anyway.

And Kitch, sorry mate - family stuff. Ya know... I hate myself for pulling out, but this genuinely couldn't be on a worse day for me now :evil: I absolutely need to come down and see you soon though. A nice long run to bed in the Black 16v perhaps :)
  • Hilary BX 16V (I have a modded ECU I can bring along too, would be good to see what effect if any it has on performance...)
  • Tom BX TXD Turbo (GT won't be ready by 2nd March)
  • Mike S Timex (should be good for a laugh if nothing else - I'll be overjoyed if it makes more than 50BHP!)
  • Jaba BX TD estate
  • RobC 16v?
  • Vanny Pink Valver
saintjamesy89
1K Away
My Cars: 1985 Citroen BX19 GT
198x Citroen BX16 TRS auto
1988 Volvo 740 2.0 GL Hearse
1991 Saab 900 16v convertible
2007 Lexus RX 400h SE

Post by saintjamesy89 »

Vanny wrote:So, is this the final line up then;
  • Hilary BX 16V (I have a modded ECU I can bring along too, would be good to see what effect if any it has on performance...)
  • Matt H BX 16v (The white one) or Alfa?
  • Mike S Timex (should be good for a laugh if nothing else - I'll be overjoyed if it makes more than 50BHP!)
  • Jaba BX TD estate
  • RobC 16v?
  • Vanny Pink Valver
Seems like a good spread really, shame there aren't more petrols (a nice 1.4 would be good), but all in all a good range!

Personally i'll be happy with anything over 140bhp, it's always felt a tad low on power, and i'm pretty sure that one of the cylinders is down on compression.

Actually, i bet there is a compression tester down at Southways right ;)
I agree Vanny, a 1.4 and 1.6 would be interesting to observe on the rollers, and listen too aswell! In fact, it'd be nice to see one of each engine on there and their torque/power spreads etc. I am very much looking forward to seeing what the TXD puts out, and compared to Jaba's td too. I'm pretty sure it's been played with, as it idles quite high and has at best done 50.3 mpg so far.

Is your workshop well ventilated Kitch? I'm a bit concerned about how smoky things are going to get... It's not black smoke, it's grey ish, but I only ever seem to see it in the dark, and it only appears when on boost.

What time are we meeting/people arriving?
I'm not a Saint, or a James, but a Tom Saint-James!

Mes voitures:
1985 Citroen BX19 GT
1988 Volvo 740 2.0 GL Hearse
2006 Lexus RX 400h SE hybrid
Vanny
Merseyside resident
My Cars: BX 16v Ph2 - Jazz
BX 16v Ph2 - XPO

Post by Vanny »

I doubt i'll get there much before mid day TBH, 3 hour drive, and prepping the car in the morning (empty stuff, load tools, get out of garage etc). Ah and it's a weekend so sod getting up before 7am!
Kitch
Over 2k
My Cars: Too many to list

Post by Kitch »

Matt H wrote:Unfortunately, I am going to have to remove myself from this list... I know how much you all wanted to see me etc. :lol: To be fair it was probably going to be in the boring Alfa anyway.

And Kitch, sorry mate - family stuff. Ya know... I hate myself for pulling out, but this genuinely couldn't be on a worse day for me now :evil: I absolutely need to come down and see you soon though. A nice long run to bed in the Black 16v perhaps :)
  • Jaba BX TD estate
  • RobC 16v?
  • Vanny Pink Valver
No worries mate, some other time.
One third of a three-spoke BX columnist team for the Citroenian magazine.

CCC BX registrar: The national BX register - click to submit a car!

1983(A) 16TRS (Rouge Valleunga)
1990(H) 16Valve (Rouge Furio)
Kitch
Over 2k

Post by Kitch »

saintjamesy89 wrote:
  • Jaba BX TD estate
  • RobC 16v?
  • Vanny Pink Valver
Seems like a good spread really, shame there aren't more petrols (a nice 1.4 would be good), but all in all a good range!

Personally i'll be happy with anything over 140bhp, it's always felt a tad low on power, and i'm pretty sure that one of the cylinders is down on compression.

I agree Vanny, a 1.4 and 1.6 would be interesting to observe on the rollers, and listen too aswell! In fact, it'd be nice to see one of each engine on there and their torque/power spreads etc. I am very much looking forward to seeing what the TXD puts out, and compared to Jaba's td too. I'm pretty sure it's been played with, as it idles quite high and has at best done 50.3 mpg so far.

Is your workshop well ventilated Kitch? I'm a bit concerned about how smoky things are going to get... It's not black smoke, it's grey ish, but I only ever seem to see it in the dark, and it only appears when on boost.

What time are we meeting/people arriving?
Workshop's got no extraction system at the moment, but it's quite a big unit so the gas dissipates quite well :lol:

I'll be there from 10am onwards, probably stripping the grey 16v or one of the other cars there.

Kitch
Over 2k

Post by Kitch »

• Jaba BX TD estate
  • RobC 16v?
  • Vanny Pink Valver

There is a compression tester mate, yes. We did have a leak-down tester, but I think it was borrowed. Might still be there.

You're right, shame there isn't a more varied mix of petrols. But I've only ever put one XUD on there before so it'll still be a learning curve. I've done several 16valvers now, and only one has managed to make the original 160bhp figure *minecoughmine* :lol: So it'll be interesting to see how they fare.

Kitch
Over 2k

Post by Kitch »

Just as an FYI to all, I'll be there from 10am onwards until about 4pm.

I did also forget to mention we don't have a card machine, for those doing power runs. Cash only please.

For those using a sat nav, make sure the post code (PO14 1AH) doesn't bring up Fort Fareham Road.....some sat navs seem to do this, and it's wrong. You want Fort Fareham Industrial Estate, which is just off Newgate Lane.

Full address is:#

Southways Automotive
Unit C Plot 5 Fort Fareham Industrial Estate
Fareham
Hampshire
PO14 1AH

Tel: 01329 220755.

If anybody has to pull out tomorrow, please let us know on this thread or by ringing us (we don't need to be hanging on for people who aren't coming!)

Cheers

Rich

Caffiend
Reluctant BXpert

Post by Caffiend »

Had to top up the water yesterday (eek), no obvious leaks, so assuming that there's none visible this morning and I don't get the scary red light expect me 11-ish - if I don't post on here again, I'm on my way :D
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe
1991 TZD hatch (Triton Green)
1992 Hurricane
citsncycles
Over 2k

Post by citsncycles »

FAIL! Got as far as Swindon and the oil light came on due to a HUGE oil leak!

I'm currently at Tetbury buying more oil so I can limp the last few miles back home, having already gone through 5lt.
Mike Sims
BX 19RD Estate Mk1 - Timex!
BX 4X4 Estate - Oh god, I've done it again!
BX 17RD MK1 - it called to me!
BX14 TGE, - SOLD
XM Turbo SD,GS Club Estate,Visa 17D Leader,HY Pickup,Dyane Nomad,Dyane 6,2CV AZL,Falcon S,Trabant P50,3x Land Rovers (88" series 1,109" series 2a FFR,series 2a Marshall ambulance),DKW F7, Lambretta LD150 x 1.5,Mobylette SP93,Ural Cossack,Ural M63,CZ 250 Sport,Honda Varadero 125,lots of bicycles & tricycles including (but not only) Sunbeams,Higgins & Bates!
Kitch
Over 2k

Post by Kitch »

citsncycles wrote:FAIL! Got as far as Swindon and the oil light came on due to a HUGE oil leak!

I'm currently at Tetbury buying more oil so I can limp the last few miles back home, having already gone through 5lt.
Shame mate, we got your post ok though though. Would have been good to have timex on there, but you're welcome anytime :lol:

I'll update the thread later on with some graphs :)

Caffiend
Reluctant BXpert

Post by Caffiend »

Kitch, I thought you were joining us for late lunch and never said 'bye' and thanks very much. So, um, bye. And thanks very much indeed for being a great host, good day.

Obviously, my car had not decided to be entirely incontinent and I made it just after 11 to hear the glorious roar of a 16v being revved hard. It was LOUD. Unfortunately, owing to Timex disgracing itself, all we had today were 16vs and turbo diesels - spookily, all the 16vs were red and all the turbo diesels green except RobC's hybrid Hurricane shell with 16v engine. Very nice looking beastie it is too.

Some pictures:

Vanny drinking tea* whilst contemplating Tom's TXD. I can't remember why Kitch was lying on the floor at this point.

Tom and Jaba drinking tea whilst contemplating Tom's TXD.

My green machine being set up to roll. I would say it looks apprehensive, but that would be a) transference (please don't show me up or explode [-o< ) and b) anthropomorphic and it hates it when I do that.

I didn't think my TZD's results would be too shabby, and had begged the car not to embarrass me after Tom's and Jaba's turbos had both done jolly well. Apparently my horsies have been breeding, because my BX was the turbo winner - Kitch tried to get it into 3 figures and couldn't - sorry, should have fitted that K&N filter before today, but seemed a shame to waste the existing one only having about 10K miles on it.
Good boy :D

... really should quit smoking though :oops:

Vanny does something technical which I think was related to reconnecting the anti-rollbar (RobC's 16v)

RobC recovers from anti-rollbar trauma by drinking tea.

Jaba inspects the welding (tidy work!), whilst drinking tea.

*It may have been coffee: work with me on this one - just flogging the BX Clubbers and inconceivably large quantities of tea line to death.
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe
1991 TZD hatch (Triton Green)
1992 Hurricane
hilarystone
BXpert
My Cars: Citroen BX 16V, BX Van 16V, Visa GTI, CX Ambulance Turbo diesel, Xsara VTS Phase 1 and 2, Lotus Elan 1970, Clan Crusader, C8 2l petrol, 1982 GSA Pallas, 1974 GS Birotor

Post by hilarystone »

Missed you Mike, sorry your car didn't make it this time.

And great big thank you to Kitch and Southways Automotive for hosting the day. We were all agreed it was a great day. I know Kitch will supply more details later but all four 16Vs performed very similarly as did the three Turbo diesels though Sandre's was perhaps the star just edging more than specced power and torque from Citroen.
Hilary Stone

http://www.Hilarystone.com
Period bikes, frames and parts

1985 Citroen CX Ambulance, 1989 Citroen BX 16V, 1987 Citroen Visa GTI, 2008 Citroen C8 2l petrol, Citroen BX Van 16V, Clan Crusader, 1970 Lotus Elan, Citroen Xsaras VTS phase1 and Phase 2, Citroen GSA, GS Birotor
hilarystone
BXpert
My Cars: Citroen BX 16V, BX Van 16V, Visa GTI, CX Ambulance Turbo diesel, Xsara VTS Phase 1 and 2, Lotus Elan 1970, Clan Crusader, C8 2l petrol, 1982 GSA Pallas, 1974 GS Birotor

Post by hilarystone »

Missed you Mike, sorry your car didn't make it this time.

And great big thank you to Kitch and Southways Automotive for hosting the day. We were all agreed it was a great day. I know Kitch will supply more details later but all four 16Vs performed very similarly as did the three Turbo diesels though Sandre's was perhaps the star just edging more than specced power and torque from Citroen.
Hilary Stone

http://www.Hilarystone.com
Period bikes, frames and parts

1985 Citroen CX Ambulance, 1989 Citroen BX 16V, 1987 Citroen Visa GTI, 2008 Citroen C8 2l petrol, Citroen BX Van 16V, Clan Crusader, 1970 Lotus Elan, Citroen Xsaras VTS phase1 and Phase 2, Citroen GSA, GS Birotor
MULLEY
Over 2k
My Cars: 1999 Xsara LX 2.0HDI (90) Hatch - Fern
2002 C5 2.0 HDI (110) Estate - Jasmine - SORN
2011 Mini Cooper D Clubman - SOLD
2016 Mercedes A180D Sport - Auto refinement
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - SORN
1992 TZD Turbo Estate - SORN
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired - SORN
1990 Gti 8Valve SOLD - looks like it's been scrapped
2002 Mini Cooper S - SOLD - i miss this car
1992 TXD - Scrapped in March 2014
1988 CX 25 GTI Turbo2 - SORN
1996 - AX Memphis 1.5D - Dream - SORN

Post by MULLEY »

Breeding Horsies, excellent, there's hope for our cars then :)
2002 C5 2.0 HDI Estate - Jasmine - Now SORN
2011 Mini Cooper D Clubman - SOLD
2016 Mercedes A180D Sport - Auto refinement
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - My daily
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired.
1990 Gti 8Valve SOLD - looks like it's been scrapped
2002 Mini Cooper S - SOLD - i miss this car
1992 TXD - Scrapped in March 2014
1988 CX 25 GTI Turbo2 - SORN
1996 - AX Memphis 1.5D - Dream - SORN

I'm not just a username, i'm also called Matthew.
Gary
BXpert

Post by Gary »

Caffiend wrote:
... really should quit smoking though :oops:
Well done Sandre =D> , it proves that smoke = power :)
1992 BX GTi Hurricane x2
1991 BX Meteor 1.9d
1993 BX TXD Turbo, Ice blue
1987 Visa GTi