Looks like G-SEG's time is up :(

Anything about BXs
docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Re: Looks like G-SEG's time is up :(

Post by docchevron »

nice, that's not even trying is it! May aswell have used plastercine!
That said, it doesn't look any worse than the back end of TFB really, I must do something with that soon, before I'm forced to break out some Ford panels and a pot of UHU!
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
Vanny
Merseyside resident
My Cars: BX 16v Ph2 - Jazz
BX 16v Ph2 - XPO

Post by Vanny »

I bet Tim is glad he was never in a crash in G-seg, looks like there are no crumple zones left!
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

Afaik it never had a accident in my time. Surely that it mendable?
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
Kitch
Over 2k
My Cars: Too many to list

Post by Kitch »

Tim Leech wrote:Afaik it never had a accident in my time. Surely that it mendable?
Like how you say "as far as I know it never had an accident in my time." If you'd had one big enough to cause that, you'd have know about it. I would also say those bodged plates look about 3-4 years old IMO, possibly a bit younger. What garage did you used to use? I'd be watching closely if you take any cars back there personally. Not saying it was them, but you want to be vigilant.

Everything's mendable, yeah. Three issues though:

Firstly, cost. It ain't cheap in personal or paid labour. The value of the car certainly wouldn't cover it - it's a pretty extensive project there!

Secondly, what I've uncovered so far is pretty disturbing. If someone's been willing to bodge it up like that, what state is the rest of the car in?

Thirdly, scale of all the other bits that need doing; the front chassis legs are cained, the inner arches are falling apart, the windscreen has rust all the way around it under the paint, the sills are going, the front panel is going.......there's so much to do. Then it needs re-piping, a front wheel bearing, a CV joint, new struts to replace the stuck ones, new spheres (it's got non-16v ones on, which is pretty pointless), two new tyres, an ABS sensor and the engine sounds like a bag of nails....it's also down on power.
If I didn't have another one that was better, I'd probably get a bit more 'into' it, but I've had enough 16valvers over the years to know when one is worth bothering with and when it's time to call it a day on one.

On the plus side, the sunroof works well! :lol:
One third of a three-spoke BX columnist team for the Citroenian magazine.

CCC BX registrar: The national BX register - click to submit a car!

1983(A) 16TRS (Rouge Valleunga)
1990(H) 16Valve (Rouge Furio)
BX Bandit
Backslash Bandit
My Cars: Cars

Post by BX Bandit »

Bloomin eck! Those stick on patch repairs are awesome! I want! I can't believe how err separated the boot is!
1990 BX 16V Platinum Grey
1990 BX TGD White
1960 Morris Minor Clarondon Grey
1971 Triumph 2000 Auto Valencia Blue
citsncycles
Over 2k

Post by citsncycles »

When you look at each repair separately, it's not too bad - it's when you realise it's like that everywhere that you start to realise what a big job it is.

In theory, those stick on patches are fine for an MOT, but I agree that I'd not trust a car where I'd found that - what if the structural areas are the same?
Mike Sims
BX 19RD Estate Mk1 - Timex!
BX 4X4 Estate - Oh god, I've done it again!
BX 17RD MK1 - it called to me!
BX14 TGE, - SOLD
XM Turbo SD,GS Club Estate,Visa 17D Leader,HY Pickup,Dyane Nomad,Dyane 6,2CV AZL,Falcon S,Trabant P50,3x Land Rovers (88" series 1,109" series 2a FFR,series 2a Marshall ambulance),DKW F7, Lambretta LD150 x 1.5,Mobylette SP93,Ural Cossack,Ural M63,CZ 250 Sport,Honda Varadero 125,lots of bicycles & tricycles including (but not only) Sunbeams,Higgins & Bates!
Way2go
Over 2k

Post by Way2go »

citsncycles wrote: In theory, those stick on patches are fine for an MOT
Really? The last MOT guy went round the underneath poking my BX after welding had been done. I'm not sure how those patches would stand up to that? [-X
1991 BX19GTi Auto
Kitch
Over 2k

Post by Kitch »

Way2go wrote:
citsncycles wrote: In theory, those stick on patches are fine for an MOT
Really? The last MOT guy went round the underneath poking my BX after welding had been done. I'm not sure how those patches would stand up to that? [-X
I had to prize these off with a screwdriver, so the pissy little MOT inspection hammer wouldn't have found an issue with them. They were made of what looked like a mk4 Golf roof, or door, or something. It was that kind of mid-solid blue colour.
Wouldn't have been so much use against something weighty, like a crash. And certainly would have sped up the rusting process underneath. I think that's why it's so bad.....nothing's been repaired properly.

Tim Leech
Over 2k

Post by Tim Leech »

I had the repairs done, for an MOT, using recycled metal which was thicker than sheets I could buy. I can't weld and the bodyshop wanted silly money so got them at work to use the glue they bond new panels on with is approved by the motor trade and would be strong. They were done about 6 years ago and passed a few MOT's since. The other corrosion is a lot worse then when I last looked.

It seems the old girls time is up, shame as I poured money into it, but the rust was hiding and eating away.
Kitch
Over 2k

Post by Kitch »

:shock:

Kitch
Over 2k

Post by Kitch »

All I'd say mate is don't take advice from that garage again! There was nothing proper going on here....it was just a bodge.

Don't take that estate there :lol:

Tim Leech
Over 2k

Post by Tim Leech »

I've moved on a lot in 6 years, and become more profissiant, and learned not to be scared of welding, I sticking do it but know people that can.
BX Bandit
Backslash Bandit
My Cars: Cars

Post by BX Bandit »

Ummm, I'm glad you've moved on Tim. I'm quite surprised you agreed to work at that standard but still. If you don't have the skills yourself then yes it does get expensive but you have to bite the bullet and invest in the car.
In structural areas the MOT chap would of found work like that and failed the car.
Make the sure the GT doesn't go the same way!!!!!!!!
1990 BX 16V Platinum Grey
1990 BX TGD White
1960 Morris Minor Clarondon Grey
1971 Triumph 2000 Auto Valencia Blue
Tim Leech
Over 2k

Post by Tim Leech »

I'm fortunate the GT thankfully is sound, and was under sealed by Citroen from new plus had just two owners from new and was always garaged. Unlike G SEG who after I sold it in 1999 had 8 and was pretty much thrashed to death.
Kitch
Over 2k

Post by Kitch »

Tim Leech wrote:I'm fortunate the GT thankfully is sound, and was under sealed by Citroen from new plus had just two owners from new and was always garaged. Unlike G SEG who after I sold it in 1999 had 8 and was pretty much thrashed to death.
I don't think the number of registered keepers makes a difference. Or how hard it's been driven for that matter! Its more about the environment it spends its early days in, and keeping on top of maintenance. Being crashed into probably didn't help either!