Looks like G-SEG's time is up :(

Anything about BXs
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Re: Looks like G-SEG's time is up :(

Post by Tim Leech »

Hmm maybe, but having one owner for 20 years and doing low mileage and who always garaged it I would say probably contributes to the condition its now in. Its also hardly ever got wet in the past 5 years of my ownership and I always dry it off before its garaged.
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
Kitch
Over 2k
My Cars: Too many to list

Post by Kitch »

Tim Leech wrote:Hmm maybe, but having one owner for 20 years and doing low mileage and who always garaged it I would say probably contributes to the condition its now in. Its also hardly ever got wet in the past 5 years of my ownership and I always dry it off before its garaged.
Low miles and garage stored will help the bodywork (as long as the garage is actually dry) but low miles usually means a tight gutless engine in my experience (unless it's low miles due to infrequent use.....that's a golden ticket :lol: )

You can dry the paintwork all you want though......the bits that rust are underneath. De-humidifier is the way forward for that.
One third of a three-spoke BX columnist team for the Citroenian magazine.

CCC BX registrar: The national BX register - click to submit a car!

1983(A) 16TRS (Rouge Valleunga)
1990(H) 16Valve (Rouge Furio)
Way2go
Over 2k

Post by Way2go »

Kitch wrote: You can dry the paintwork all you want though......the bits that rust are underneath. De-humidifier is the way forward for that.
Sounds very true to me! I had an uncle who regularly cleaned, polished and routinely garaged his car and it didn't stop that from developing incredible rot all over despite the attention.

I think that garaging a car can diminish it's life for the simple reason that the wet lingers longer in the garage as there's no blowing air to dry it quickly. Even if not taken out in the wet then moisture can form in an unheated garage due to ambient temperature changes and the dew point.

Unless you're the likes of Chris Evans who can afford to garage his cars in an annexe that is temperature controlled and air conditioned all year round then garaging is just of security benefit.
1991 BX19GTi Auto
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

Way2go wrote:I think that garaging a car can diminish it's life for the simple reason that the wet lingers longer in the garage as there's no blowing air to dry it quickly. Even if not taken out in the wet then moisture can form in an unheated garage due to ambient temperature changes and the dew point.
I think you're very right there - if you're storing an already dry car, or putting a rarely used car in a garage, then that is better than keeping it outside. But I've put away a damp car, and found areas still to be moist after several weeks - whereas the same areas on another car stored outside were dry after a couple of days.

Probably the best kind of usage for a car is a reasonable (dry) journey every few weeks, followed by garage storage, although I've also seen condensation form on a car in the still air of a garage under certain conditions, but not on the cars outside! I guess it depends on what environmental conditions are most usual where you are located.

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
Tim Leech
Over 2k

Post by Tim Leech »

There's plenty of airflow round the GT and there's a concours XK150 parked next to her aswell as a H van, Morgan XR4i, Rover Sd1 and 25 caravans...

There's ventilation flaps in there which keeps it very dry.
Kitch
Over 2k

Post by Kitch »

Tim Leech wrote:There's plenty of airflow round the GT and there's a concours XK150 parked next to her aswell as a H van, Morgan XR4i, Rover Sd1 and 25 caravans...

There's ventilation flaps in there which keeps it very dry.
I'm intrigued now....what's a Morgan XR4i?

Mothman

Post by Mothman »

Ford engined Morgan?

They did do that i believe.

Andy
Kitch
Over 2k

Post by Kitch »

Mothman wrote:Ford engined Morgan?

They did do that i believe.

Andy
They did plenty, but they were 4-pots. Was wondering if it was some kind of special Sierra (father-in-law is a Sierra nut)

Tim Leech
Over 2k

Post by Tim Leech »

A Morgan, Xr4i etc I forgot the commar, the Morgan's lovely, the Sierras a nail!
Kitch
Over 2k

Post by Kitch »

Tim Leech wrote:A Morgan, Xr4i etc I forgot the commar, the Morgan's lovely, the Sierras a nail!
:lol:

Didn't consider that outcome!

BX Bandit
Backslash Bandit
My Cars: Cars

Post by BX Bandit »

After a few more bits if they are going Kitch. Body kit? and LHM pump please?
1990 BX 16V Platinum Grey
1990 BX TGD White
1960 Morris Minor Clarondon Grey
1971 Triumph 2000 Auto Valencia Blue
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

Tim's storage is about spot on for keeping a car in good condition. I'm very envious. Problems occur when people put damp cars into stone/brick-built garages, as they just won't dry out. Timber is better, but even that's not ideal with poor airflow. In many ways, a car port is better than a garage. That's something I hope to build here. Given how windy it is today, I'd better do a solid job of it...
Kitch
Over 2k

Post by Kitch »

BX Bandit wrote:After a few more bits if they are going Kitch. Body kit? and LHM pump please?
Bodykit I'm keeping hold of mate I'm afraid. Think I've got an LHM pump spare though.

citsncycles
Over 2k

Post by citsncycles »

It doesn't let me go back far enough to pull the quote up following my last comment, but the reason I mentioned that these stuck on repairs were OK for the MOT was because they fall out side the prescribed area around suspension mounts, seatbelts etc. This doesn't mean that I'd have done it this way though!
Mike Sims
BX 19RD Estate Mk1 - Timex!
BX 4X4 Estate - Oh god, I've done it again!
BX 17RD MK1 - it called to me!
BX14 TGE, - SOLD
XM Turbo SD,GS Club Estate,Visa 17D Leader,HY Pickup,Dyane Nomad,Dyane 6,2CV AZL,Falcon S,Trabant P50,3x Land Rovers (88" series 1,109" series 2a FFR,series 2a Marshall ambulance),DKW F7, Lambretta LD150 x 1.5,Mobylette SP93,Ural Cossack,Ural M63,CZ 250 Sport,Honda Varadero 125,lots of bicycles & tricycles including (but not only) Sunbeams,Higgins & Bates!
BX Bandit
Backslash Bandit
My Cars: Cars

Post by BX Bandit »

Kitch wrote:
BX Bandit wrote:After a few more bits if they are going Kitch. Body kit? and LHM pump please?
Bodykit I'm keeping hold of mate I'm afraid. Think I've got an LHM pump spare though.
Fair enough matey though it was a long shot! I'll happily cross thy palm with silver for said pump though.
1990 BX 16V Platinum Grey
1990 BX TGD White
1960 Morris Minor Clarondon Grey
1971 Triumph 2000 Auto Valencia Blue