Wooscary's TZD 1993

Tell us about life with your BX, or indeed life in general!
mat_fenwick

Re: Wooscary's TZD 1993

Post by mat_fenwick »

Wooscary wrote:Not sure which engine, petrol certainly
I think it *may* be a petrol...wouldn't put me off though as they run well on LPG. Swap for a diesel Focus? ;)

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
Wooscary
BXpert

Post by Wooscary »

Well, didn't hear anything back about the Volvo. Too much distance involved I think.

I've still got the BX, but by the end of the month I've used up all the temp cover allowed on my policy,
so either it has to go, or I have to figure out cover for both cars. It has actually been really useful having
two, as Holly is doing a lot more driving for work recently.

Yesterday, completely cleared and cleaned inside, removed soggy driver's carpet for drying. It must have been coming in through the hole in the door seal and just had no where to go, and as it's been so cold not had chance to dry out. The sound deadening material was completely sodden, but the floor underneath was fine.

Can the deadening material be bought from a factors?

Anyway, once I'd got it all cleaned up (washed it the other day too!) it looked really good, and the driving experience has been improved no end now the foam that had slipped behind the clutch pedal has been removed. It was making it feel like the bite was on the floor!
Wooscary
BXpert

Post by Wooscary »

Just called Footman James out of curiosity for a quote on the BX, let's just say it's the lowest quote, by a long way, that I've ever been given for car insurance. Amazing. Definitely going to call them about the Polo too (which renews in May). I won't go in to the exact figures but it's around £400 cheaper!
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

Footman James are great, Adrian Flux are total shit.
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
Wooscary
BXpert

Post by Wooscary »

I'd heard tell of that before. You having trouble with them at the moment Tim?

If Holly gets back before total darkness the Polo is having an oil and filter change. Eurocarparts never fail
to be amusing, two filters listed, no idea why, "I'll just sell you both for the price of one of them and then return the
one you don't need". Errr. Fine.
Tim Leech
Over 2k

Post by Tim Leech »

I made the mistake or insuring the Xantia with them, they did me a good quote, which I took out and did on d/d as usual, happy days! I moved house late 2012, rang them to change address, "all ok Mr Leech no problem" and no admin fee charge too, Great!! 2 weeks later I get a text message to say we have cancelled your insurance as per our letter (what letter?) and the rest of the years premium of £100+ is now due.

To cut a long story short, they dont cover my new address (which is a much nicer house and area than before) with the provider they used so had sent a cancellation letter (to my OLD address) which I had not replied to so had cancelled it....I rang them up suitably pissed and after speaking to 4 different departments they agreed to reinsure the Xantia at my new address for exactly DOUBLE what I was paying.

I refused and shopped round and got it £50 cheaper (£100 more than I was originally paying mind you) and told them where to go.

2 weeks later I was contacted by them again, to say that I had not paid the oustanding balance (as per there letter, again to my OLD address) of £100 which after argueing was discounted to £64.64 so another £40 admin and debt recovery fee was due making it £104....

After lots of shouting, my questioning there ability to do simple taskes the £40 was AGAIN deducted and the original £64.64 agreed, which I begrudgingly paid on Fed 28th when I got paid.

Oh and they cocked up the first payment, took it TWICE (have bank statement to prove) and are now denying all knowledge of it so I am £129.29 out of pocked, plus the Xantis is still broken and has no MOT ...... :twisted:
So as you imagine I wouldnt touch them EVER again!

On a positive note they FJ will add the 19TRS estate to my policy for just £20 :D
Wooscary
BXpert

Post by Wooscary »

That does sounds pretty shocking! Mental note to steer well clear.

Now just got to persuade Holly it's a good idea, but as she's using the Polo pretty much every day,
seems reasonable for me to have a car too! Definitely plan to get it really shipshape over the summer.
Tim Leech
Over 2k

Post by Tim Leech »

yes you can have as many BX's on the same policy for just £20 each......dangerous!
citsncycles
Over 2k

Post by citsncycles »

Dunno about BX's, but a lot of 2CVers have had big insurance increases with Footman James this year for some reason. They also seem to have split, with Peter James apparently setting his own business up and actively trying to poach as many Footman James customers as possible.

Personally, I've found Lancaster cheapest for both the BX & GS, although for some strange reason it's cheaper to insure the GS as daily driver and the BX on a high (8k miles) limited mileage policy, than have the BX as daily and the GS on 3k a year!
Mike Sims
BX 19RD Estate Mk1 - Timex!
BX 4X4 Estate - Oh god, I've done it again!
BX 17RD MK1 - it called to me!
BX14 TGE, - SOLD
XM Turbo SD,GS Club Estate,Visa 17D Leader,HY Pickup,Dyane Nomad,Dyane 6,2CV AZL,Falcon S,Trabant P50,3x Land Rovers (88" series 1,109" series 2a FFR,series 2a Marshall ambulance),DKW F7, Lambretta LD150 x 1.5,Mobylette SP93,Ural Cossack,Ural M63,CZ 250 Sport,Honda Varadero 125,lots of bicycles & tricycles including (but not only) Sunbeams,Higgins & Bates!
Wooscary
BXpert

Post by Wooscary »

Wooscary
BXpert

Post by Wooscary »

The BX sadly has to go. Business is not good at present so hours are pretty tight.

See here http://www.bxclub.co.uk/forum/viewtopic ... 26#p212326" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
for the more full details.

:(

IMG_4812

IMG_4813

IMG_4814

IMG_4815

IMG_4817

IMG_4818

IMG_4819

IMG_4820

IMG_4821

IMG_4823

IMG_4824

IMG_4826

IMG_4827

IMG_4829

IMG_4831

IMG_4832

IMG_4834
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

Peter James was a founding father at Footman James, but left some years ago now to set up again on a smaller level. I don't know about poaching customers, but FJ went through a shocking period of customer (dis)service, and PJ were cheaper.

As for the BX, I'm very tempted but would have to shift my silver TXD pretty sharpish to avoid marital catastrophe...
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

Well, she got me home, but I've got quite a list of issues to sort out. Body seems very good from my casual inspection - rear crossmember is immaculate! Interior is pretty tidy too, but there are binnacle bulbs to change.

Main issue is a knackered front wheel bearing. That was having a mighty howl on the way home, almost drowing out what sounds like a tired fifth gear. Much noisier than any other gear. The turbo is making a lot of noise too. At first I thought it might be its bearings, but I now suspect a loose pipe as it isn't boosting as it should. The heater doesn't work. I think the flap that allows air in has jammed as the blower goes like the clappers but no air comes out of the vents. The ABS light came on after 30 miles...

BUT, the ABS light went off when I turned the car off and on again! And I only paid £500 for it, so I'm not expecting perfection.

Full story to follow. I'm bloody glad it has a pair of winter tyres on the front as the village was very snowy when I got home!

Thanks Wooscary and good to meet you properly.
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

Great potential BX there. Smart too. It's generally advisable to fit winter tyres all round by the way ;)

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Article/Vi ... -tyres.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; :)
• 1992 Citroen BX TZD Turbo Hurricane
• 2006 Xsara Picasso 1.6 16v
MULLEY
Over 2k
My Cars: 1999 Xsara LX 2.0HDI (90) Hatch - Fern
2002 C5 2.0 HDI (110) Estate - Jasmine - SORN
2011 Mini Cooper D Clubman - SOLD
2016 Mercedes A180D Sport - Auto refinement
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - SORN
1992 TZD Turbo Estate - SORN
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired - SORN
1990 Gti 8Valve SOLD - looks like it's been scrapped
2002 Mini Cooper S - SOLD - i miss this car
1992 TXD - Scrapped in March 2014
1988 CX 25 GTI Turbo2 - SORN
1996 - AX Memphis 1.5D - Dream - SORN

Post by MULLEY »

Only one axle set of winter tyres spells instant issues imho as the rear will have zero grip when the front does, erm oversteer in a big way.....
2002 C5 2.0 HDI Estate - Jasmine - Now SORN
2011 Mini Cooper D Clubman - SOLD
2016 Mercedes A180D Sport - Auto refinement
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - My daily
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired.
1990 Gti 8Valve SOLD - looks like it's been scrapped
2002 Mini Cooper S - SOLD - i miss this car
1992 TXD - Scrapped in March 2014
1988 CX 25 GTI Turbo2 - SORN
1996 - AX Memphis 1.5D - Dream - SORN

I'm not just a username, i'm also called Matthew.