Wooscary's TZD 1993

Tell us about life with your BX, or indeed life in general!
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Re: Wooscary's TZD 1993

Post by Dollywobbler »

I know! I didn't fit the tyres. Still, I'd rather have the grip where most of the action happens. The tail certainly didn't come hurtling out at any point on the trip home, though I'm well aware it might. I think it's a bit strong to say there will be instant issues - there blatantly weren't, though I concede it's far from ideal.

My plan is to get some steelies, pull the winter tyres off (if it actually stops being winter...) and have a set of summer rubber on the alloys. I'll put the winter tyres on the steelies and keep them stored for next winter.
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

I'll agree (kind of) with both sides - Lana had winter tyres fitted to the front of her MINI at the start of the winter on the basis that it's deemed perfectly acceptable to drive in snow with chains on the front wheels, and summer tyres on the rear. We figured that the ABS would prevent the rear wheels locking up under braking and overtaking the front.

Normal driving, no difference. Snow, no problems and plenty of traction. I did advise her to keep cornering speeds down on snow as if she didn't have any extra grip though. But one morning she hit a patch of frozen slush whilst going round a shallow bend. The rear stepped out and she carried down the road in a series of fishtails until she went off the road to the nearside and scraped a fence. At this point (perhaps her front wheels were on full lock?) she left the fence and crossed right over to the other side of the road.

Fortunately no real damage done, although she was a bit shaken. Without driving in identical conditions equipped with 4 winter tyres, it's impossible to say whether the rear summer tyres were the main contributor, but it seems likely.

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

I think experience counts for a lot in situations like that. Having noted winters on the front only, my mind was set to deal with the possibility of oversteer - but it didn't happen. Rest assured that I would prefer to have the same wheels all the way around.

Anyway - this thread should probably knocked on the head now unless Wooscary himself has 'owt to add? I've started a new thread here.

http://www.bxclub.co.uk/forum/viewtopic ... 13&t=17835" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;