Mat's BX Blog

Tell us about life with your BX, or indeed life in general!
mat_fenwick

Re: Mat's BX Blog

Post by mat_fenwick »

Yeah, I imagine it depends on how much extra weight, type and depth of snow etc. as to whether you can cut through or just slide on the surface! It's bad enough towing a horsebox in the snow so I wouldn't want to pull anything bigger!

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

Its not thaty good where I am, the main roads are fine but my estate is pap, plus I have a steep drive!
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

The problem here is the wind. We've had about three inches, but it's blowing around a lot. TZD fired straight up this morning and got around my driveway no problem. Not sure it would get OFF my driveway! Therefore TXD collection has had to be postponed. I still own 2 BXs.
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

Wind isn't too bad right here, but we went down to Harlech last night to do some climbing, and it was markedly different. No snow, and blowing a gale!

1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
Vanny
Merseyside resident
My Cars: BX 16v Ph2 - Jazz
BX 16v Ph2 - XPO

Post by Vanny »

I'd send you a picture of the snow here, but there is nothing to take a picture of! About an inch in total fall, roads are clear, side roads occasionally a little slushy but otherwise fine. Still plenty of idiots doing 40mph on the motorway though, the number of swerving trucks makes the second lane exciting. If you can't make motorway speeds on an empty motorway, in mildly damp conditions, its time to stop driving.
Paul296
Over 2k
My Cars: Citroen BX 17 TZD Hurricane
Citroen BX 17 TGD

Post by Paul296 »

Vanny wrote:If you can't make motorway speeds on an empty motorway, in mildly damp conditions, its time to stop driving.
Absolutely! Or have a word with the practise incontinence nurse. :roll:
RxBX
Over 2k

Post by RxBX »

Vanny wrote:I'd send you a picture of the snow here, but there is nothing to take a picture of! About an inch in total fall, roads are clear, side roads occasionally a little slushy but otherwise fine. Still plenty of idiots doing 40mph on the motorway though, the number of swerving trucks makes the second lane exciting. If you can't make motorway speeds on an empty motorway, in mildly damp conditions, its time to stop driving.
Your extremely lucky then 'in you neck of the woods' !

Here's some photos of the dumping of snow over the last two day's on my Xantia Estate (I'm just 4 miles North/East of Derby city centre as the 'Crow Flys') I thought it was approx. 6 to 7 inches !

However I was surprised @ the /\ !

:shock:

Last edited by RxBX on Sun Mar 24, 2013 12:33 am, edited 3 times in total.
vulgalour
BXpert
My Cars: 1980 Austin Princess 1.7 HL
1987 Citroen BX 17RD

Post by vulgalour »

There's a crass size joke in there somewhere...
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

I wish... :oops:

More non BX related stuff now - today I've been busy on the house. Last year I discovered that one of the joists had rotted due to a previous water leak, and I'd been putting off repairing it while I plucked up the courage to tackle it! A plan was formed, so I couldn't put it off any more.

Being to tight to hire Acrow props, I simply cut a few pieces of timber to the correct length, and hammered them into an upright position to support the roof:

Then very carefully, given the close proximity to pipes and cables, cut back to solid wood.

This was the end that was embedded in the wall - I'm amazed it held any weight at all!

I then cut the end of the new joist to match, lifted it into position and bolted it between two steel plates. I'm quite happy with the fit, especially as it was cut by eye with my chainsaw; hardly a precision tool!

Other end of the joist mortared into position - all I need to do now is fix a few more bolts in and wait for it to set.

Oh, and hope that the whole thing doesn't collapse when I remove the supports...

Back to the (red) BX, the Deox gel has almost done its job, and the C pillar seam will soon be ready for welding. With a bit of luck I'll do that one evening this week, then need to set about painting the van. Fortunately I've managed to get temporary use of a large garage (sadly unheated) so I'll be able to do that assuming the temperature rises a little, otherwise the finish will be poor.

1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

Had to turn round and find an alternative route this morning - the drifts were too deep for a 2wd car :(

Although traction was generally good, the amount of snow building up in front of the bumper meant I couldn't push through. And reversing out was tricky too, as the undertray acted as a large snow scoop!

At least conditions were better than the weekend:
" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
Vanny
Merseyside resident
BX 16v Ph2 - XPO

Post by Vanny »

Didn't you just adjust the ride height?

Oh no, wait, you where in an evil Ford.

Have you learned your lesson?
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

Rub it in why don't you! Think I'll go back that way tonight, and see if the problem can be solved with more speed - what's the worst that could happen? :oops:

1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
vulgalour
BXpert
My Cars: 1980 Austin Princess 1.7 HL
1987 Citroen BX 17RD

Post by vulgalour »

mat_fenwick wrote:Think I'll go back that way tonight, and see if the problem can be solved with more speed - what's the worst that could happen? :oops:
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

That doesn't look fun. I suspect that the worst that could happen in my case is that I end up off the road in a peat bog, with a few miles walk to get into mobile coverage. Not something I plan on doing! I do like a bit of an adventure though, so may see what the road is like later. I can resort to chains if it does get stuck, and it does cut 10 miles off my journey...

But strictly no flying [-X

1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
Vanny
Merseyside resident
BX 16v Ph2 - XPO

Post by Vanny »

vulgalour wrote:
Where has the audi estate gone that the TT was sat on?

Seems a rather bloody stupid thing to do, the TT is likely to rip that house a new garage now!