Peanuts BX 19 TGD Estate

A place for us to show off our cars in all their glory. Please keep picture sizes to about 800x600 pixels.
peanuts

Peanuts BX 19 TGD Estate

Post by peanuts »

After a bit of encouragement from another member I've taken a few slightly ropey pictures of my BX estate. I'm relatively new here so thought you'd like to take a look:

I acquired this from a friend locally, who is a bit of a Citroen addict and has been working on various models for years. He's now in his mid 70's and has amassed quite a collection, most of which are going green outside. There's AX's ZX's, Xantias, GS's, CX's and rather a lot of BX's. I was looking for a sensible diesel estate so saved the one above.

It was extremely green and with quite an array of lichen growing on it. It had come off the road 5 years or so before I bought it due to leaks from the return pipework. I tried to repair this initially but just chased leaks around, so it the end bought the dreaded octopus from the main dealer, dropped the front subframe off (not sure if there's a better way) and replaced the lot. Also replaced cambelt/waterpump, disks,pads, handbrake cables, one radius arm and serviced everything else. It had 71,000 on the clock at the time of purchase and it's now at 92,000. Longest trip has been from Peterborough to Glamis, Scotland and back with 3 people, luggage and a trailer on the back. I've recently replaced the spheres, supplied by Pleiades who are local. Clutch is coming up for replacement but have been putting that off! It needs a few other things but is a good straight car overall. Most estates I've seen seem to be white - is there something in the paint that makes them survive longer?!!

Many thanks
Daniel
'91 BX TGD Estate
'52 Big 15 small boot (in bits)
'50 something H van cattle truck
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Re: Peanuts BX 19 TGD Estate

Post by Dollywobbler »

Wow. That looks beautiful! Sadly, see Vulgalour's (ex me) BX estate to see that white is not immune to rust...

Needs the black stripe on the tailgate really - it looks too white without it. Nice save though and it must be one of the lowest mileage BX diesel estates in the country! Not even run in.

EDIT - I'm also annoyed that I completely missed another Citroen nut when I was working in Peterborough and living near Huntingdon! (2007-2010).
MULLEY
Over 2k
My Cars: 1999 Xsara LX 2.0HDI (90) Hatch - Fern
2002 C5 2.0 HDI (110) Estate - Jasmine - SORN
2011 Mini Cooper D Clubman - SOLD
2016 Mercedes A180D Sport - Auto refinement
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - SORN
1992 TZD Turbo Estate - SORN
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired - SORN
1990 Gti 8Valve SOLD - looks like it's been scrapped
2002 Mini Cooper S - SOLD - i miss this car
1992 TXD - Scrapped in March 2014
1988 CX 25 GTI Turbo2 - SORN
1996 - AX Memphis 1.5D - Dream - SORN

Post by MULLEY »

Nice looking car & a good save :)

Have you got any details/pictures of all those other cars that your friend has, there might be some more cars that could be saved?
2002 C5 2.0 HDI Estate - Jasmine - Now SORN
2011 Mini Cooper D Clubman - SOLD
2016 Mercedes A180D Sport - Auto refinement
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - My daily
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired.
1990 Gti 8Valve SOLD - looks like it's been scrapped
2002 Mini Cooper S - SOLD - i miss this car
1992 TXD - Scrapped in March 2014
1988 CX 25 GTI Turbo2 - SORN
1996 - AX Memphis 1.5D - Dream - SORN

I'm not just a username, i'm also called Matthew.
peanuts

Post by peanuts »

It did have the black stripe on the back but the corner of the tailgate was damaged (along with a side window) so I heated up the remains and scraped it off. In better light I think it looks okay but yes there's a lot of white!

I've done a few relatively minor rust repairs; small localised repair to n/s/r sill and half of the rear crossmember after the drain holes appeared to get blocked. I've been using it and the 205 for work which involves a lot of home visits for the local council, so it had a fair bit of use and gets some interest - "I used to have one of those!" I'm sure you've heard it before...

I'll get a few pics of the other cars. Quite a few of the better ones have been rescued but there's still plenty there. Would almost be worth starting a 'Rust in Peace' thread for interesting relics...
'91 BX TGD Estate
Paul296
Over 2k
My Cars: Citroen BX 17 TZD Hurricane
Citroen BX 17 TGD

Post by Paul296 »

Hi Daniel - Top car, good save and welcome aboard! =D> Hope you find time to post the 'rust in peace' pics - they sound really interesting.
Caffiend
Reluctant BXpert

Post by Caffiend »

That's a smart looking car - and +(another)1 on pics of the others please! As you're not a million miles away, will you make it to the X-rally at Stamford 7 April? - see Events section :)
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe
1991 TZD hatch (Triton Green)
1992 Hurricane
mds141
Over 2k

Post by mds141 »

Hi Daniel. Welcome to the wonderful and weird world of the Citroen BX. A nice looking example. 8)
Mark Smith

Is it just me or is everything shit?

1989 BX GTi 16 valve. Blanc Alpine. Completed the Citroen Classic Challenge Ecosse and 1337 miles without a hitch.
2000 XM VSX 2.1 td Auto. Rouge Magenta.
TGD saloon many years ago.

1990 Swift 'Corniche' 12/2 aka BXClub HQ.
Honda Firestorm. Gone, but not forgotten.
2015 Triumph Tiger Explorer XC.
Mothman

Post by Mothman »

Cracking job done there bud, well done.

As Sandre says, it would be great to see you and the motor at the X rally next week!!
Weather forcast says ile be there in my Mk 1 so it would be great to see you and many others.

Andy
Mickey taker
Over 2k

Post by Mickey taker »

I wonder if this was from the same old chap that Tim visited last year partly in search of a "round thingy " for me
1991 BX Meteor 1.6

light travels faster than sound, thats why you look intelligent and then you spoil it all by opening your mouth !!!!!
Defender110
Over 2k
My Cars: Land Rover Discovery Series 1 200tdi 3 door
Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5
2020 Fiat Panda cross 4x4 twin air.

Post by Defender110 »

Very nice and my own personal favourite spec, really like that.
Kevan
1997 Mercedes C230 W202
2003 Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5 - Daily driver / hobby days and camping.
1993 Land Rover Discovery 200tdi Series 1 3 door - in need of TLC
2020 Fiat Panda 4x4 Cross Twin Air.
RxBX
Over 2k

Post by RxBX »

Hi Daniel and welcome to BXC , was the old boy you acquired it from happened to be 'Syd' ?
peanuts wrote:...................
I acquired this from a friend locally, who is a bit of a Citroen addict and has been working on various models for years. He's now in his mid 70's and has amassed quite a collection, most of which are going green outside. There's AX's ZX's, Xantias, GS's, CX's and rather a lot of BX's. I was looking for a sensible diesel estate so saved the one above.

Many thanks
Daniel
Mickey taker wrote:I wonder if this was from the same old chap that Tim visited last year partly in search of a "round thingy " for me
I too thought the same Mickey ?

Click on photo for the 'The Lost Tribe' :wink:

:)

Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

Well done, lovely car, welcome to the club!
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
peanuts

Post by peanuts »

Thanks for the comments kind people. The pictures flatter the paintwork somewhat, but it's not bad overall! The friend I mentioned is not Syd but the pic of the yard is comparable. I was there today and took a few pics - will post shortly. Plenty of (brave) projects there...
'91 BX TGD Estate
vulgalour
BXpert
My Cars: 1980 Austin Princess 1.7 HL
1987 Citroen BX 17RD

Post by vulgalour »

Well at least I know what Stripey (presently renamed BX-xon Valdez) will look like when I finish sorting all the bodywork out. If nothing else, it's motivation! If you're having trouble getting the paint up to something like, grab yourself a clay bar, some Farecla G3 and some Autoglym Super Resin Polish. With some time and effort it'll come up like new if mine was anything to go by.

I had been toying with removing the black stripe from the tailgate and now I see it done as per yours, I'm not 100% sure whether or not I want to. Looks really clean, but at the same time it looks odd, possibly because I'm so used to seeing them with the black stripe intact.
Mickey taker
Over 2k

Post by Mickey taker »

leave the black stripe off but paint the panel where the number plate is black, that would look excellant,
1991 BX Meteor 1.6

light travels faster than sound, thats why you look intelligent and then you spoil it all by opening your mouth !!!!!